Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running up the Score - Not D3, Olympics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running up the Score - Not D3, Olympics!

To revive the dead D3 thread about teams running up the score:

I thought that it wasn't the Canadian way to run up the score on hapless opponents? The Canadian women have won by scores of 18-0, 10-1, and (not so egregiously) 8-0.

Waiting to hear from CanHockeyGuy and especially 5-4 Fighting...

Re: Running up the Score - Not D3, Olympics!

Well I am Canadian and i don' like it. Not interesting to watch at all.

Let's not forget, though, that Slovakia beat Bulgaria 82-0 not so long ago either, so it's not just Canada and the USA doing it.

Comment

I agree - pretty boring. In the previous discussion about running up the score, there were several posters who insisted that any score in the double-digits constituted "running up the score" ... and was inappropriate. Further, several posters swore up and down that it was not the Canadian way to run the score up on your opponent at any level of play.

Personally, I couldn't care less what the final score of a game is, especially at the professional or Olympic level. I don't fault either the Canadians or the Americans for however many goals they choose to score. I'm just curious to hear the justification of these scores from those that said it wasn't the Canadian way and was disrespectful to the game of hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by FranchisePlayer View Post
        ... and (not so egregiously) 8-0.
        See the link to the St. Paul Pioneer Press article (twincities.com) that is in the primary Olympic thread.

But the 8-0 score was the Canadian men, not the women. And that's with NHL players, so I see no reason to complain about that one.
        Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
        Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
        Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

IMHO, this is an 'apples & oranges' argument. The Olympics is an 'adrenalin' tournament. You don't want to risk turning the faucet off, it may not be that it turns back on automatically. The whole idea is to peak at the right time. BTW, my sense was that the Women's team did lower things by a gear or two. According to your argument, all those who preached 'all out hockey - all the time' should be answering questions as to why the team eased up a bit.

Comment

There was also a comment made during one of the games that in the early days of mens Olympic hockey, Canada was so dominant that scores of 20-0 and up were pretty commonplace. This was of course before the rise of the great Soviet teams. I wonder if back then Canadian fans felt at all embarrassed about their team running up the score, or if there was talk about the IOC dropping the sport because of the lack of competition.

I'm just glad that they didn't because at least in mens there are 4-5 teams that potentially could win it every four years. Hopefully the same will eventually apply in womens hockey, and it won't take many decades like it did in mens.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I may be mistaken, But with the round robin format, isn't one of the tiebreak criteria GF/GA differential? In that case, isn't there incentive for running up the score?

Comment

I thought that it wasn't the Canadian way to run up the score on hapless opponents? The Canadian women have won by scores of 18-0, 10-1, and (not so egregiously) 8-0.

Nutbar # 3...I must have missed one of the Canadian Women's games...the one where they won, not so egregio...whatever 8-0. How can anyone take you seriously when you don't even know who's playing who and when in the Olympics? Just lost your credibility on this thread...nice lead off.

C ya

Comment

Originally posted by Pops Ryan View Post
                  IMHO, this is an 'apples & oranges' argument. The Olympics is an 'adrenalin' tournament. You don't want to risk turning the faucet off, it may not be that it turns back on automatically. The whole idea is to peak at the right time. BTW, my sense was that the Women's team did lower things by a gear or two. According to your argument, all those who preached 'all out hockey - all the time' should be answering questions as to why the team eased up a bit.
                  Not apples and oranges to me, but we all have our own perspectives on things. We don't know that they did in fact, "ease up", but if they did, I'm not in favor of it. I DO stand by my convictions.

Comment

Well, thankyou....and I thought that....well....forget that.

As I said in another post, pulling the goalie on a delayed penalty late in the game wasn't cool. It probably was instinctual, but still wrong. I have maintained that to not run up the score applies to everybody, and shouldn't be classified as the Canadian way only.
                    For the majority, it is not encouraged in Canada, but may be in other places. I've been in the hockey business as a player, as a coach, mentor program etc. etc. in elite level boys and girls hockey for many years. I have worked with and still work with coaches from the novice level through to the professional level. Running up the score is not cool in Canada, but of course there are some idiots out there. I know that I may have been over the top at times. It is difficult, trying to get your point across with all these people twisting your words around, and taking things out of context. What goes around comes around. Maybe it was an act of revenge, as revenge is a powerful and emotional part of hockey. The game is tremendously emotional, from players to coaches, parents to organizers, and on and on. Don't feed it by running up the score. Any self respecting coach or hockey player knows the difference between a respectable blowout (I know it's an oxymoron but hockey people get this), and a score that has been run up.
                    As you have probably heard, the lopsided scores have not helped the continuation of the women's hockey program in the Olympics. It is a slow death to any team or league. Implement rules to strive for parity. The NHL has. Other leagues can be creative enough to improve their systems and team programs. There is talk about entering multiple teams to even things out. There's hope.
                    Watch for a thread coming soon that takes this issue to another level. I'll wait until the timing is right.

Comment

Originally posted by creasemonkey View Post
                      Not apples and oranges to me, but we all have our own perspectives on things. We don't know that they did in fact, "ease up", but if they did, I'm not in favor of it. I DO stand by my convictions.
                      Hey # 1....Darwitz is on record saying they eased up. What's up with that eh? You must be extremley disapointed in your National Team.

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                        Nutbar # 3...I must have missed one of the Canadian Women's games...the one where they won, not so egregio...whatever 8-0. How can anyone take you seriously when you don't even know who's playing who and when in the Olympics? Just lost your credibility on this thread...nice lead off.

C ya
                        I'll eat crow on that one - but the point remains the same. Nice deflection by you, however, as you avoid the issue. At least CanHockeyGuy made a well-worded and well-explained response/defense. Hopefully he's right that the international community will someday soon figure out how to make the other nations more competitive - are you saying, however, that there is some talk about having two different teams entered from both Canada and the US in order to even things out?

I agree with creasemonkey that it's not apples and oranges. And if we're talking about adrenalin and peaking at the right time, then should we be expecting some blow-outs in the college hockey games this weekend as teams try to peak right before the playoffs, and would THOSE blowouts be justifiable?

-Nutbar #3

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                          See the link to the St. Paul Pioneer Press article (twincities.com) that is in the primary Olympic thread.

But the 8-0 score was the Canadian men, not the women. And that's with NHL players, so I see no reason to complain about that one.
                          Just remember that goal differential has an impact on seeding in the Mens program (not sure about womens). If a tournament sets things up such that goal differential comes in play for the purposes of seeding for the later rounds, you cannot fault the teams for keeping the foot on the gas pedal.

Comment

I'll eat crow on that one - but the point remains the same. Nice deflection by you, however, as you avoid the issue. At least CanHockeyGuy made a well-worded and well-explained response/defense. Hopefully he's right that the international community will someday soon figure out how to make the other nations more competitive - are you saying, however, that there is some talk about having two different teams entered from both Canada and the US in order to even things out?

I agree with creasemonkey that it's not apples and oranges. And if we're talking about adrenalin and peaking at the right time, then should we be expecting some blow-outs in the college hockey games this weekend as teams try to peak right before the playoffs, and would THOSE blowouts be justifiable?

-Nutbar #3
                            Here we go again. That is not the way I worded it (multiple teams) but yes, you get the idea.

The players and coaches should know this weekend, what is acceptable or not. If they get it.

Comment

-Nutbar #3
                              # 3....You should have spent less time looking up the correct spelling and meaning of the word egregiously and more time reading the sports pages to find out who was playing who and when. Lost your street cred. End of story.

BTW I'm not deflecting anything but I have my own set of standards whereby I will talk hockey with anyone however I won't waste my time conversing with people that don't know what part of a Sher-wood is the business end.

Comment

Working...
                              X