Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Olympic Hockey - Let's Stick It To The Canucks Again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: US Olympic Hockey - Let's Stick It To The Canucks Again!

Yeah I was a hockey fan in hog heaven yesterday as well.

The two standout moments for me are:

Ovie's smash on Jagr to take him off the puck and create the goal for Russia. Jagr is certainly not easy to move off the puck at any time. Ovie did it with extreme style.

Miller's last three minutes against Canada. Canada was shooting every 5-10 seconds and they were hard shots with lots of chaos in front of the goal. It looked like they were on a powerplay when they hadn't even pulled the goalie yet. Miller stopped up that net like a superman.

Comment

Originally posted by BUPhD View Post
      Miller's last three minutes against Canada. Canada was shooting every 5-10 seconds and they were hard shots with lots of chaos in front of the goal. It looked like they were on a powerplay when they hadn't even pulled the goalie yet. Miller stopped up that net like a superman.
      There were some nice blocks by the US in that sequence too, but in the end Miller deserves most of the credit. He had to be great, and he was.

Ovechkin steamrolling Jagr and setting up the GWG is definitely highlight #2. If Jagr is seriously thinking about returning to the NHL this fall, he's going to have to be more aware than that, regardless of all the conditioning he supposedly has to do in Russia.

Comment

Gotta give props to Chris Drury too. A lot of people questioned his being on this team...he showed the gritty determination that makes him important, even when he doesn't put up big numbers. He was absolutely fearless with his body last night. You know he's bruised up after the final sequence last night but I don't think there in another player on this team that can match his heart...except maybe Ryan Miller.
        MICHIGAN STATE
        1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          You get the point, but I'll clarify...former UW players almost outscored the rest of the the players from North America.
          Psst. His point was that your goals don't add up. North America had 5 goals last night.
          Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
            Gotta give props to Chris Drury too. A lot of people questioned his being on this team...he showed the gritty determination that makes him important, even when he doesn't put up big numbers. He was absolutely fearless with his body last night. You know he's bruised up after the final sequence last night but I don't think there in another player on this team that can match his heart...except maybe Ryan Miller.
            Agreed. I was glad to see Drury on the team. Team USA can't have all young guns and Drury's a proven leader AND winner.
            "Miller Time" is a guy you want on ANY team. During interviews you can tell he doesn't get too high or low; perfect for a goalie.
            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
              Don't blame me, I was just quoting the article. NBC is getting roasted by the press today.

Long and the short of it, is that Hockey lost a key opportunity to get the sport out to 40 million viewers. This is starting to look like the "Heidi Bowl." Clearly, NBC should of realized that an upset was brewing and cut away to the hockey game.

Sure all the hard core hockey fans saw the game on MSNBC, but if this was the Miracle on Ice II, hockey lost out because NBC didn't have the foresight.

Key stat; all but five of the USA players attended US colleges and played hockey.
              They shouldn't be. Having the game on Cable prevented commercial interruptions. It was awesome.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I haven't seen last night's ratings yet, but last week the Olympics beat American Idol head to head. It was the first time something beat AI in the ratings since May of 2004.

Think a hockey game pulls in 30 million viewers?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  I haven't seen last night's ratings yet, but last week the Olympics beat American Idol head to head. It was the first time something beat AI in the ratings since May of 2004.

Think a hockey game pulls in 30 million viewers?
                  It could have on NBC; not sure about MSNBC though. I'm sure some cable providers don't have it.
                  "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                    It could have on NBC; not sure about MSNBC though. I'm sure some cable providers don't have it.
                    Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals was on NBC, and it got 7.5 million viewers.

Canada-USA is going to get 30? Riiiight.

Comment

Women up 2-0 on Sweden, who's getting pumped up?
                      Last edited by MUhawks628; 02-22-2010, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                        Women up 2-0 on Sweden, who's getting pumped up?
                        Oh yeah. Gotta just take care of business today.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals was on NBC, and it got 7.5 million viewers.

Canada-USA is going to get 30? Riiiight.

Not everyone is a Wings or Penguins fan.

Most everyone in the United States is an American.

Just sayin'.
                          R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                            Sure all the hard core hockey fans saw the game on MSNBC
                            I didn't, and I'm none too happy about it either. My Dish Network package doesn't include MSNBC, so I was SOL.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                              Not everyone is a Wings or Penguins fan.

Most everyone in the United States is an American.

Just sayin'.
                              Not only that, but if they can show ski-cross, biathlon, luge, and curling on the main network, then they should be able to justify showing what will be one of the most high-profile events of the entire Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                                Not only that, but if they can show ski-cross, biathlon, luge, and curling on the main network, then they should be able to justify showing what will be one of the most high-profile events of the entire Olympics.
                                I think it is high profile only to NHL or other hockey fans. Ski jumping, luge, etc appeal to the rest of the population because they are not seen on tv on a regular basis. If someone wants to watch these guys play hockey they could turn on the tv any given night of the week. The sad reality is that the Olympics provides great entertainment for hockey fans, but with NHL players, it does little to help grow the sport outside of the existing base.
                                MICHIGAN STATE
                                1966:1986:2007

Comment

Working...
                                X