Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Olympic Hockey - Let's Stick It To The Canucks Again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: US Olympic Hockey - Let's Stick It To The Canucks Again!

Agreed. I was almost ready to give up after a terrible 2nd period, but they got the result they needed to stay in contention for a bye, even with a loss Sunday.
    But, now the pressure is off. They've handled the teams they should have. Now all they have left is to be great and shock the world!
    2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
    2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
    Air Force Falcons
    2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
    2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
    2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
    2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
    2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

Originally posted by AFHockeyFan View Post
      Agreed. I was almost ready to give up after a terrible 2nd period, but they got the result they needed to stay in contention for a bye, even with a loss Sunday.
      But, now the pressure is off. They've handled the teams they should have. Now all they have left is to be great and shock the world!
      They did not look good enough to compete with Canada today. And I can see them getting hurt because they didn't "handle" Switzerland. +7 after two games? A loss to Canada Sunday will knock that down to probably a +5 at most, and no bye at that rate.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
        They did not look good enough to compete with Canada today. And I can see them getting hurt because they didn't "handle" Switzerland. +7 after two games? A loss to Canada Sunday will knock that down to probably a +5 at most, and no bye at that rate.
        Switzerland finished ahead of Canada (shutting them out 2-0) and the USA in the last Olympics. The USA beating the Swiss 3-1 is a very respectable score, and a +7 is a very good differential after two games. The USA will have a couple more practices to work on the Canada game plan and get more team cohesion. The USA can't run and gun with Canada, but if they get good goaltending and keep it close, anything can happen - we've got NHL players, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
          Switzerland finished ahead of Canada (shutting them out 2-0) and the USA in the last Olympics. The USA beating the Swiss 3-1 is a very respectable score, and a +7 is a very good differential after two games. The USA will have a couple more practices to work on the Canada game plan and get more team cohesion. The USA can't run and gun with Canada, but if they get good goaltending and keep it close, anything can happen - we've got NHL players, too.
          That was 4 years ago, and I don't think anybody is even expecting the Swiss to come anywhere near medaling. I say that the +7 will probably bite them in the ***, because yes, if they lose to Canada by 2, then +5 after 3 games won't help much when you look at the other groups. I think #2 in Group C will get the extra bye. Russia, Czech, and Slovak will all play each other well, but if Russia and Czech go 1/2 then the beatups on Latvia will also put them over the US mark.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
            That was 4 years ago, and I don't think anybody is even expecting the Swiss to come anywhere near medaling. I say that the +7 will probably bite them in the ***, because yes, if they lose to Canada by 2, then +5 after 3 games won't help much when you look at the other groups. I think #2 in Group C will get the extra bye. Russia, Czech, and Slovak will all play each other well, but if Russia and Czech go 1/2 then the beatups on Latvia will also put them over the US mark.
            You make it sound like not getting a bye is the end of the world.

They play the games for a reason, so I'm going to wait until AFTER the freaking game on Sunday before I go all doom and gloom like you.

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
              You make it sound like not getting a bye is the end of the world.

They play the games for a reason, so I'm going to wait until AFTER the freaking game on Sunday before I go all doom and gloom like you.
              No, honestly I didn't expect them to get a bye. Someone earlier said they were in a great position for it and with that GD I don't think it's that great. This team probably needs the extra game to keep building up some chemistry and start burying their chances.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                Kessel scores 2.5 minutes in!

Eddie O called him the pride and joy of Madison, WI.

Speaking only for myself. Don't mind him. Wish him well in the NHL and hope he excels for Team USA, but pride and joy?
                Some people had to work so I didn't get to watch, but I see that Pavelski assisted the Kessel goal. Boy it would have been nice had that combination got to play together for 2+ years.
                Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Canada 2 Swiss 2

Comment

This weekend is starting to shape up to be a great game. USA played a pretty darned good game against the Nors today.

As I type, The Miss just scored to cut Canada's lead to 2-1. Pretty good game so far.

I definitely expect the USA defensemen to play a little more conservatively against Canada. I wouldn't expect them to play as aggressively as they did today, considering that they gave up way too many 2-on-1 chances. If they leave Miller out to dry that many times, they are screwed.
                    Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Through two games, here's your former collegiate scoring. Go USA!!

Ryan Malone (St. Cloud State University) - 2G 1A 3Pts
                      Brian Rafalski (University of Wisconsin) - 2G 0A 2Pts
                      David Backes (Minnesota State University-Mankato) - 1G 1A 2Pts
                      Phil Kessel (University of Minnesota) - 1G 1A 2Pts
                      Zach Parise (University of North Dakota) - 0G 2A 2Pts
                      Joe Pavelski (University of Wisconsin - 0G 2A 2Pts
                      Ryan Suter (University of Wisconsin) - 0G 2A 2Pts
                      Chris Drury (Boston University) - 1G 0A 1Pts
                      Jack Johnson (University of Michigan) - 0G 1A 1Pts
                      scsuhockey.com
                      CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
                        Some people had to work so I didn't get to watch, but I see that Pavelski assisted the Kessel goal. Boy it would have been nice had that combination got to play together for 2+ years.
                        I don't think the Gophers ever recruited Pavs.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                            Must spread rep. Nicely done.
                            Dance like no one's watching, sing like no one's listening, live each day as if it's your last...

Dirty - I'd be more suited to be the hockey coach at NDSU.

Comment

Oh my, did the pressure on Sid & Co. just go up tenfold.

They certainly took it to us for the first 25 minutes or so and then it turned into a good game back and forth until 4 minutes to go.

Great play by Kessler. Don't I remember a Gopher player doing something similar? Johnny Pohl maybe in the Final 5?

USA! USA! USA!

Comment

My only wish is that it was an elimination game... Canada with Luongo will be tough to beat

Great win!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X