X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Chill

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/michi...r-hockey-game/

Michigan unveils logo for Big Chill at the Big House outdoor hockey game

Less than a week after Wisconsin drew 55,000 at the Camp Randall Hockey Classic, the Michigan athletic department offered more details about its own outdoor game later this year.

The Big Chill at the Big House will be played Dec. 11 at Michigan Stadium when school officials hope to break the attendance record for an outdoor hockey game against rival Michigan State.

The Cold War, which pitted Michigan and Michigan State at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing in 2001, drew a record 74,544 fans.

Michigan executive associate athletic director Mike Stevenson and a team of other athletic department representatives spent the weekend getting ideas for next winter's game. Wisconsin spent $600,000 on game operations, including $400,000 on rink construction.

Stevenson said Michigan plans to use the same ice installation company that Wisconsin did and put a starting budget on the Big Chill project at $1 million. Many details, including whether the stadium will open its luxury suites for the game, are yet to be decided.

Stevenson said all of Michigan Stadium's more than 100,000 seats will be available for the game, which will be played at 3 p.m.

Michigan hockey coach Red Berenson said the biggest differences he noticed last weekend was deteriorating ice conditions as the game wore on and the fact that the boards weren't true like they are in an indoor venue. Despite those issues, Berenson called the Camp Randall experience a great one, exciting him even more about next winter's game.

"If you can translate that event into our building, it could be unbelievable," Berenson said this week. "It could be a once-in-a-lifetime experience."

Ticket information is expected to be released later this month. Football and hockey season-ticket holders and Michigan students will have a priority in purchasing tickets.

Discuss....
    Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: The Big Chill

So how many people will attend? 80K? 90K? 100K? I'm guessing 88K, but hopefully it will be over 100K.

Comment

I like the logo being free of sponsorship, maybe it was just me, but the Culvers logo on the CRHC gear kind of made it less appealing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
        I like the logo being free of sponsorship, maybe it was just me, but the Culvers logo on the CRHC gear kind of made it less appealing to me.
        I agree with you, although the Cold War did not have a sponsor either (IIRC). But as an interesting side note, the director (or something i.e. writer, producer, etc.) of The Big Chill needed to be contacted about the use of the title. Fortunately he said yes, most likely because he is a Michigan Alum.

So as if Michigan fans weren't geared up enough about the grand opening of The Big House for Football this fall against Connecticut, we also have a huge hockey game roughly three months later.

Comment

Am I the only person who thinks the logo (like the name of the event) is a bit busy/cheesy?

Comment

Originally posted by UMBand View Post
            Am I the only person who thinks the logo (like the name of the event) is a bit busy/cheesy?
            Yes.

How can something be both busy and cheesy at the same time? Granted, it isn't an awesome logo but it's not that bad. It's more about the game than the logo honey...
            Last edited by UMICHhockeyRULZ; 02-14-2010, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X