Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI & Union @ Harvard & Dartmouth (2/12 & 2/13)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI & Union @ Harvard & Dartmouth (2/12 & 2/13)

RPI continues playing at the level of its opponents vs. SLU and Clarkson. Will it continue vs. Harvard and Dartmouth?
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: RPI & Union @ Harvard & Dartmouth (2/12 & 2/13)

We will need to be much better finishers against these two teams than we were against Clarkson. We have been playing well but there still seems to be a lack of chemistry with some of the line changes. These should be 2 close games but if we can play our game we should do well. We must avoid getting in the position of being 2 men short handed. That has either killed us this year or at least allowed the other team back in the game.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

1st round bye still in reach but that tie to SLU really hurts now with Union defeating them. Looking for an RPI sweep and a SLU collapse this week. Can't forget about Colgate either, they need to get off our heels.

Comment

Originally posted by Section 22 View Post
        1st round bye still in reach but that tie to SLU really hurts now with Union defeating them. Looking for an RPI sweep and a SLU collapse this week. Can't forget about Colgate either, they need to get off our heels.
        Mostly accurate. The tie with SLU hurts more in the sense that, given our sweep of Yale, we were more likely to be able to win the tiebreaker with the Saints if we'd won on Friday. Now, more than likely, in order to get the bye we've got to finish at least a point ahead of them (unless we get into a three-way with, like, Yale. Kinky.)

Colgate does have a game in hand, but it's the Cornell game, and I have to think Cornell's a solid favorite in that one.
        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Section 22 View Post
          It's only a 1-point difference, so 2 points does it. They still have to play Yale, and a Princeton team who just came off of beating Cornell. Granted we get Colgate/Cornell instead of Yale/Brown, but the rest of the opponents are common. If we can get a leg up out of one game, that should put us in a great position.

We should also look to see if Yale loses a little ground. Remember, we hold the tiebreak over them.

Comment

At least the tougher opponent is once again on Friday night. However, both teams gave RPI issues at home. Should be some great, but tough games. Looking for Polacek to get some goals this coming weekend - much needed to stay in Hobey contention.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
              We will need to be much better finishers against these two teams than we were against Clarkson. We have been playing well but there still seems to be a lack of chemistry with some of the line changes. These should be 2 close games but if we can play our game we should do well. We must avoid getting in the position of being 2 men short handed. That has either killed us this year or at least allowed the other team back in the game.
              I did not like Halpern at all on that top line. Hopefully Helfrich gets moved back up.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                It's only a 1-point difference, so 2 points does it. They still have to play Yale, and a Princeton team who just came off of beating Cornell. Granted we get Colgate/Cornell instead of Yale/Brown, but the rest of the opponents are common. If we can get a leg up out of one game, that should put us in a great position.

We should also look to see if Yale loses a little ground. Remember, we hold the tiebreak over them.
                Our weekend with Princeton and Quinnipiac will be very telling. I have seen Princeton a couple of times this year and their record does not do them justice at all. They are a far tougher team than their record shows. We handled them beautifully once this year and need to repeat that performance. We have 6 league games left and probably have to win 4 to have any chance at finishing top 4(even then we might need a little help). I just want to see this team finish on a roll and enter the playoffs with nobody wanting to play against them.

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
                  I did not like Halpern at all on that top line. Hopefully Helfrich gets moved back up.
                  Exactly!!

Comment

IMO I think he has been a bit heavy handed on Helfrich this year. Without mentioning other names (although I am sure you can figure it out) there have been a few players that brutally have hurt this team and nothing is or was ever said and done(meaning taking them out of the game). Helfrich and Polacek have had chemistry since day one and to break that up just hurts this team. Last night Helfich and Polacek were on the ice together for 15 seconds and within that time they connected and fed D'Amigo who had a wide open shot in the crease but missed...should have been an easy goal. I have seen that in games past when they are on the ice for seconds there is an immediate connection. I guess what bothers me is why he allows others to get away with so much and he is so harsh on Helfrich. During his interviews some times I wonder what game was he watching? It is almost like he is trying to protect certain players and allows others to be the hit man to send a message. I know coaches do that but frankly it is and has hurt this team. So if you are reading Coach Appert--with all due respect what are we seeing that you are not?

Comment

Originally posted by IMO View Post
                      IMO I think he has been a bit heavy handed on Helfrich this year. Without mentioning other names (although I am sure you can figure it out) there have been a few players that brutally have hurt this team and nothing is or was ever said and done(meaning taking them out of the game). Helfrich and Polacek have had chemistry since day one and to break that up just hurts this team. Last night Helfich and Polacek were on the ice together for 15 seconds and within that time they connected and fed D'Amigo who had a wide open shot in the crease but missed...should have been an easy goal. I have seen that in games past when they are on the ice for seconds there is an immediate connection. I guess what bothers me is why he allows others to get away with so much and he is so harsh on Helfrich. During his interviews some times I wonder what game was he watching? It is almost like he is trying to protect certain players and allows others to be the hit man to send a message. I know coaches do that but frankly it is and has hurt this team. So if you are reading Coach Appert--with all due respect what are we seeing that you are not?
                      I don't often agree with what you say or the way you say it, but I think this criticism is entirely fair and well-stated.

Comment

I thought Helfrich played pretty poorly against Clarkson, I was not impressed at all.
                        R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                          I thought the whole team pretty poorly against Clarkson, I was not impressed at all.
                          FYP
                          Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Since Union is in the thread title I'll go "Dutch" for a few comments. First, although the home teams are both in the lower half of the standings, that provides small solace. The dual losses to Harvard and Dartmouth started Union's mini-swoon and now they face them on the road. Harvard owns Union and plays with tremendous confidence against them. Dartmouth always plays U tough, including in more recent seasons when Union was showing signs of life. All that being said, I can't believe that both of the opposition's goaltenders will play out of their minds again, and the MVT/Walters/Prez line broke out of their slump this weekend in a big way, so I am despite the above, cautiously optimistic that Union should return with some points.

Comment

I disagree. I thought Halpern was probably our most energetic forward last night . He was all over the ice , and he hit anything within 5 feet of him all night. If the other forwards - including Helfrich - had played with that kind of intensity, it would have been a wider margin of victory.
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                              X