Outdoor Hockey at Notre Dame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor Hockey at Notre Dame?

Watching this game gave me an idea. Why haven't people talked about Notre Dame possibly hosting an outdoor game? It could be a decent draw and against a school such as North Dakota or UNH they could get a decent crowd to travel to it.

Re: Outdoor Hockey at Notre Dame?

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
    Watching this game gave me an idea. Why haven't people talked about Notre Dame possibly hosting an outdoor game? It could be a decent draw and against a school such as North Dakota or UNH they could get a decent crowd to travel to it.
    I think you will see this to be a growing trend... particularly at schools that have their own D1 football stadium.

Comment

Putting up the rink costs $250,000 or so, so you need to make sure you more than cover costs.

Not every D-I school should try it.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
        Putting up the rink costs $250,000 or so, so you need to make sure you more than cover costs.

True not every D1 should try it. However this is Notre Dame we are talking about. They have the facilities and the name brand to pull off something like this. I mentioned playing the game against North Dakota or New Hampshire because those are two schools that don't have the facilities to have outdoor games in their area and whos fans would jump on the chance to see a game like this.

Comment

UNH fans are going to flock to Indiana just for an outdoor game? North Dakota would send 5x as many fans as UNH for several reasons. And I'm not honking on UNH. But let's be real here. That's not a big fanbase. Especially one that would leave New Hampshire for Indiana for a game that doesn't involve a national championship.

If Notre Dame were to do it, they'd want to do it against a Big Ten type team with a big following - preferably a team they have a good football history with. Not a team they have no history with from the east. As swami mentioned, you would need to put a lot of butts in the seats to offset the costs of constructing the rink.
          Last edited by Carmine Scarpaglia; 02-06-2010, 07:25 PM.
          Originally posted by reBlur
          the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post

If that's what it cost for Wisconsin to do it...spend more. The ice at this game is terrible...
            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
            Originally posted by Quizmire
            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

This trend is getting out of hand...if Wisconsin can only get 55,000 while practically giving tickets away, then other schools should take notice. This is no longer a special thing. This game in Madison is very boring and lacks any unique attributes outside a 3 minute song called "Jump Around." Let's put an end to all this.

I am debating whether or not I want to watch MSU play at Michigan in December...I was at the Cold War in 2001 and what made that great was the novelty of the situation. There are too many of these games and the atmosphere is becoming very dull.
              MICHIGAN STATE
              1966:1986:2007

Comment

Notre Dame's hockey fanbase is that big?

Comment

This will void my statement that there is no touchdown jesus in hockey....although, rudy still should have been cut
                  NMU Puckhead: 2005-2007. Part-time 2007-Present
                  NMU Alpha Male 2005-2007

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS- 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010

WIN OR LOSE CATS BOOZE

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                    This trend is getting out of hand...if Wisconsin can only get 55,000 while practically giving tickets away, then other schools should take notice. This is no longer a special thing. This game in Madison is very boring and lacks any unique attributes outside a 3 minute song called "Jump Around." Let's put an end to all this.
                    Oh no, no, no. Tickets were priced way way too high for the Camp Randall game. Could have gotten 20,000 more people with a more reasonable price structure.

Comment

I know the face value was high, but I have relatives that are employees of UW that were offered tickets thhrough their departments for $10 each. My point is that the market for these games is quickly becoming very small. The NHL has the money and size to market these types of events. whereas college hockey does not.
                      MICHIGAN STATE
                      1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                        UNH fans are going to flock to Indiana just for an outdoor game? North Dakota would send 5x as many fans as UNH for several reasons. And I'm not honking on UNH. But let's be real here. That's not a big fanbase. Especially one that would leave New Hampshire for Indiana for a game that doesn't involve a national championship.

If Notre Dame were to do it, they'd want to do it against a Big Ten type team with a big following - preferably a team they have a good football history with. Not a team they have no history with from the east. As swami mentioned, you would need to put a lot of butts in the seats to offset the costs of constructing the rink.
                        Exactly what I was thinking when I read the first post.. I appreciate the respect, but UNH wouldn't bring more than a few hundred people. It would have to be Michigan, I would imagine...

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                          Exactly what I was thinking when I read the first post.. I appreciate the respect, but UNH wouldn't bring more than a few hundred people. It would have to be Michigan, I would imagine...
                          Why not Minnesota?? They're a Big Ten school and they should be able to send plenty of fans to the game.
                          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

I thought Minnesota planned on having an outdoor game next year. Not sure who it is against though. I know some people talked about a UW - UMTC alternating outdoor game.

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post

I am debating whether or not I want to watch MSU play at Michigan in December...I was at the Cold War in 2001 and what made that great was the novelty of the situation. There are too many of these games and the atmosphere is becoming very dull.
                              I agree that it's out of hand. UW just did this 4 years ago at Lambeau and I hope that they wait 20 years before they do it again.

Also, I'm so sick of hearing that "This is how these guys all started playing on a pond, blah blah blah."

My 11 year old son has played 99% of the hockey that he's played in his life in rinks. They need to stop trying to romanticize it so much as it doesn't even remotely remind me of the backwater slough that I grew up playing on.

Play it on Dollar Lake in Eagle River(site of the US Pond Hockey Championships) and then you can say it reminds us of our youth.

Comment

Working...
                              X