R.I.P Miami's Brandon Burke....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P Miami's Brandon Burke....

Miami suffered a tragic loss after last nights game. Student assistant Brendan Burke was tragically killed in a car accident last night while driving back to oxford from east lansing. The passenger, name unknown, was also tragically killed. The massive snow storm seems to be the cause of the wreck.

Brendan is the son of Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke. He was a valuable asset to the Miami program and was loved by all. He will be greatly missed. Please keep Brendan, his immediate family, and his Miami family in your prayers during this difficult time.

Rest in peace Brendan, you will be missed!
    Last edited by redhawkman10; 02-06-2010, 10:12 AM.
    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Re: R.I.P Miami's Brandon Burke....

Thread on Hockey's Future http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=735059
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
      Miami suffered a tragic loss after last nights game. Student assistant Brandon Burke was tragically killed in a car accident after last nights game. The massive snow storm seems to be the cause of the wreck.

Brandon is the son of Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke. He was a valuable asset to the Miami program and was loved by all. He will be greatly missed. Please keep Brandon, his immediate family, and his Miami family in your prayers during this difficult time.

Rest in peace Brandon, you will be missed!
      His story and the wonderful support he received from the Miami program were very inspirational when I first heard about them this fall. This is incredibly sad for his family, the Miami family and the hockey family.
      I love BC people - without them, everyone would want to move to Boston. They keep the numbers down. - Bill Simmons

Boston University: 2009 National Champions

Comment

Devastating, I was knocked speechless when I saw this thread.

For those who haven't read it yet here is the ESPN article on him from a couple months ago.

Comment

Condolences to the Burke family and Miami team from the University of Denver community.
          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

That was a great story, and this is a terrible tragedy... RIP
            Boston University 2009 Champs
            Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Condolences from myself as well. Brendan was an extremely brave individual who made huge contributions to the hockey world and society in general during his short time on Earth. May he rest in peace.

Comment

So sad. My condolences to the Burke family and Miami hockey community.
                Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

http://www.whiotv.com/news/22481567/detail.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1458392/

From what I've seen in the limited articles that actually have details, the accident happened around 3:40 in the afternoon Northwest of Richmond, IN; an hour away from Oxford. Brendan lost control of his Jeep and slammed head-on into a Westbound car on US 35.

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Tragedy ... Condolences from the Colgate Community
                    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      http://www.whiotv.com/news/22481567/detail.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1458392/

From what I've seen in the limited articles that actually have details, the accident happened around 3:40 in the afternoon Northwest of Richmond, IN; an hour away from Oxford. Brendan lost control of his Jeep and slammed head-on into a Westbound car on US 35.

Yea I live in that area and it was pretty bad at that time. It wasn't a powdery snow, it was the big wet thick type of snow. All schools let out early and definantly wasn't safe at that time of day.

From this Miami fan and I think I can speak for all. We appreciate the kind words for Brendan. All who knew him know the tremendous impact he had in oxford and in the hockey community. His story is one of inspiration and we all hope it helps others just as much as it help us in oxford.
                      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Thanks for the link and the great article.

My condolences to the Burke family and the Miami family as well.

Comment

Sad, sad news.

condolences to all involved.
                          BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                          -
                          Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

How awful. Condolences to the Burke family and the RedHawk community.
                            "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

It took me a few seconds reading the title to remember why this name sounded familiar - then I remembered it. Saw a piece on him and his G.M. dad and the message they were trying convey to the hockey world and in general. What a brave person he was; sorry to see this.

Comment

Working...
                              X