Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Laura Hurd Award

Derek,

As always I very much enjoyed your column last week. However, I must ask if you were half asleep while writing up your picks for Hurd award candidates? How could any list not include Steph Moberg?

Re: 2010 Laura Hurd Award

Originally posted by spike View Post
    Derek,

As always I very much enjoyed your column last week. However, I must ask if you were half asleep while writing up your picks for Hurd award candidates? How could any list not include Steph Moberg?
    I'll admit. I took a quick rushed look at Plattsburgh and the first name that came to mind for me to check on was Bowler.

I missed the boat on Moberg as she's obviously having a tremendous season and followed up last year's breakout season.

Moberg got lost in the shuffle for me when I think of the Plattsburgh greats of Gibson, Taylor, Blanchard, Devereuax, Clarke, O'Brien, Roy etc., but she's certainly earning her place.

Maybe the fact that Plattsburgh hasn't had any big name or big ego stars has been the difference this season where they've quietly put together the best season out of any in the country?

Coming into the season and during the season I think it's fair to say Middlebury, Amherst, River Falls, Gustavus, Elmira, and RIT were being talked about the most and the rankings have certainly reflected that. Elmira jumped Plattsburgh in the rankings at one point even though Plattsburgh had already beaten them twice.

Well I'm sure coach Houle and his team are pleased to be proving everyone wrong on the ice and they have certainly set themselves up for a nice run if they keep it up.

But yes, certainly throw Moberg into the discussion for the Hurd award along with the players I listed in last week's article.

Comment

Originally posted by Derek Dunning View Post
      I'll admit. I took a quick rushed look at Plattsburgh and the first name that came to mind for me to check on was Bowler.

I missed the boat on Moberg as she's obviously having a tremendous season and followed up last year's breakout season.

Coming into the season and during the season I think it's fair to say Middlebury, Amherst, River Falls, Gustavus, Elmira, and RIT were being talked about the most and the rankings have certainly reflected that. Elmira jumped Plattsburgh in the rankings at one point even though Plattsburgh had already beaten them twice.
      Vision clouded by wearing your purple coloured glasses too long???

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
        Vision clouded by wearing your purple coloured glasses too long???
        None more than your Ex-Plattsburgh State hockey parent eyes.

Comment

Megan DiJulio has REALLY stepped up this season for Plattsburgh. Especially down the stretch. Probably one of the toughest players on the PSU roster. She would be my nomination from PSU for the Hurd award. You could argue the DiJulio/Bowler/Moon trio is one of the top lines in D3 right now. That line had 12(5-7-12) points tonight, albeit against Cortland.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-R- View Post
            Megan DiJulio has REALLY stepped up this season for Plattsburgh. Especially down the stretch. Probably one of the toughest players on the PSU roster. She would be my nomination from PSU for the Hurd award. You could argue the DiJulio/Bowler/Moon trio is one of the top lines in D3 right now. That line had 12(5-7-12) points tonight, albeit against Cortland.
            Points huh..Know nuthin but..

Comment

My vote goes to Platsburgh State's Moberg or Bowler. Either one...Consistency is the key with these two. For the past three/four years. Moberg played the first year as a very effective defenseman, then went back up to forward in her second year. Bowler is a proven leader both on and off the ice. Either way, both play extremely well at both ends of the rink and off the ice too...they have my votes!! (If I had any.)

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
                Points huh..Know nuthin but..
                is this camman in disguise?
                UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

My vote goes to Platsburgh State's Moberg or Bowler. Either one...Consistency is the key with these two. For the past three/four years. Moberg played the first year as a very effective defenseman, then went back up to forward in her second year. Bowler is a proven leader both on and off the ice. Either way, both play extremely well at both ends of the rink and off the ice too...they have my votes!! (If I had any.)
                  Hard to argue with any of that Seymore...and I won't but did you cast your vote for Kivi yet or do you still have your mad on?

Comment

I can't find Derek's article...but I would hope that Lake Forest's Kim Herring is in on the discussion. I can't imagine anyone out there has meant more to her team then Herring has. She leads LFC in every stat category except shorties and goaltending.
                    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                      I can't find Derek's article...but I would hope that Lake Forest's Kim Herring is in on the discussion. I can't imagine anyone out there has meant more to her team then Herring has. She leads LFC in every stat category except shorties and goaltending.
                      http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...ary292010.html

There's last weeks. Listed her #2 behind Iwachiw. (They were in no particular order though )

I'm starting to think I should have listed Faber and Moberg instead of Stack and McCall.

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...uary52010.html

and that's this weeks.

ENJOY! Sorry they aren't posted on the main page.

Comment

Just wanted to throw Jessica Schroeder's name from Neumann in the hat for the Laura Hurd Award. She is #2 in the country in points and leading the country in assists. She may not be a front runner yet, but should absolutely be in the conversation. She should be an All-American this year based on her accomplishments, with 6 games to go who knows where she will end up.
                        "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                          ...did you cast your vote for Kivi yet or do you still have your mad on?
                          Who?

Comment

Originally posted by MICZamboni View Post
                            Just wanted to throw Jessica Schroeder's name from Neumann in the hat for the Laura Hurd Award. She is #2 in the country in points and leading the country in assists. She may not be a front runner yet, but should absolutely be in the conversation. She should be an All-American this year based on her accomplishments, with 6 games to go who knows where she will end up.
                            She is mentioned in the article.
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Who?
                              Jamie Kivi Seymore, # 11 for the Elmira Soaring Eagles and the pride of Green Bay Wisconsin. You know..the senior defenseman who is second leading scorer on the Eagles squad with 10 goals and 9 assists, leads the conference in defenseman scoring and is one of the main contributors on PK which has Elmira again leading in the conference with an 87.3% ratio...

You don't know her Seymore...thought you were a hockey guy?

I think given her career stats and leadership qualities her name should also stand for the Laura Hurd Award!

BTW Thanks for the opening, appreciate it.
                              Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 02-07-2010, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X