No announcement yet.

Versus on Directv - Enough is Enough!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Versus on Directv - Enough is Enough!!!

If you're a Directv subscriber and a hockey fan whose tired of missing good hockey games on Versus its time to get vocal. This has gone on too long and with the NHL playoffs coming soon, one would hope the execs at Directv and Comcast (with the NHL's encouragement) would be working to get a deal done. Not much has been said or printed about the subject lately so the time for us to sit back and wait is over. So what to do?? I say we get vocal and send our views off to Directv, Comcast, the NHL and any other media outlet that's relevant. Here are some contacts if you want to be heard:

Directv e-mail: Versus@directv.com

NHL Fan Feedback: http://www.nhl.com/ice/feedback.htm

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/create...80669&comments (or search Versus on Directv)

The Hockey News - Letters to the Editor: http://thehockeynews.com/listings/51...he-Editor.html

Other Related Links:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=57131

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,187145

If you know of other relevant sites to contact or post on please share them here.

Here is the e-mail I sent to Directv tonight:

As a huge hockey fan, long time Directv subscriber and NHL center ice subscriber, my patience to this Versus situation is running out. Directv claims that Versus' owners are demanding increased fees but from everything I've read, it appears that because Directv wants to re-tier Versus and squeeze more money of its subscribers, it is Directv who should get the blame here. Honestly, I don't care who is to blame. I just want NHL hockey back on Directv and on Versus. The NHL playoffs will be here before you know it and there is no way I'm going to miss them because of greed. I pay Directv $135 a month for programming plus the extra for NHL Center Ice and the MLB package. Is that not enough to give me Versus?? And by the way, since you are not paying Comcast for Versus, shouldn't you be giving me a credit from the money you are saving?

Please fix this mess. If not, I'll be switching to Dish Network.

Re: Versus on Directv - Enough is Enough!!!

Originally posted by BB_Cubs View Post
    Please fix this mess. If not, I'll be switching to Dish Network.
    There's your answer. Enough people do that and DirecTV will listen - just don't count on it (plus, you'll just ***** that Dish doesn't have MLB Network or the MLB Extra Innings Package)...
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

It's all crap. Just greed, pure greed.

Comment

Hm. With Comcast I have Vs with my standard digital package, and for something like $8/mo, I have the NHL/NFL/MLB/bouncyball networks, all FoxSports, CSTV, Big10 Network, and I believe ESPNU.

Just sayin'.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

however, with my directv, i have all of that minus versus ( ) and pay much less and have better picture quality and less outage than when I had comcrap. Plus I have NFL Sunday Ticket. I also have a much better HD-DVR with multiroom viewing coming later this year.

With that said, I am dropping D* for att uverse when my d* contract ends in August....

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine318 View Post
            however, with my directv, i have all of that minus versus ( ) and pay much less and have better picture quality and less outage than when I had comcrap. Plus I have NFL Sunday Ticket. I also have a much better HD-DVR with multiroom viewing coming later this year.

With that said, I am dropping D* for att uverse when my d* contract ends in August....
            I question the "NFL ticket, but much cheaper." Doesn't the NFL ticket cost $100+ (and I think that is wayyyyyy on the lowside?)

And I've only had one outage in the past 3 years I've lived in my current place, and maybe 2 in the last 10 years I've had Comcast. And those only had to do with internet.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              I question the "NFL ticket, but much cheaper." Doesn't the NFL ticket cost $100+ (and I think that is wayyyyyy on the lowside?)

And I've only had one outage in the past 3 years I've lived in my current place, and maybe 2 in the last 10 years I've had Comcast. And those only had to do with internet.
              Not necessarily, depends how smart you are about it. I signed up for Direct and it came WITH 2 of the premium movie tiers (we picked HBO/Show), also with a free season of NFL Ticket.

The thing they don't tell you about NFL ticket is that it is an auto renewal, so you call them up when the second season rolls around, tell them that you don't need it because you have season tickets to your closest available market (Cincinnati Bengals perhaps...), so it will be of little to no use. They wind up marking down the package to ~$50, and you get to watch any game you want for the whole season.

Comment

But I do agree, this Versus/Outdoor Life Network/DirectTV scenario is shenanigans. It was bad enough when ESPN dropped coverage, now you are forced to depend upon your local FSN network and hoping that they have a game on every now and then. Nothing can be as bad though as when the Canucks were in the what, triple OT playoff game 4 years ago and Time Warner cut their VS coverage and switched to an infomercial. That was before the heyday of justin.tv, so nowhere to catch the finish.
                Last edited by mcfarljd; 02-03-2010, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Historically DirecTV has easily been the most fan-friendly of the various providers. For everyone's sake, it's nice to hear that the competitors are closing the gap. It's also extremely unfortunate that when DirecTV decided to make a stand, it was hockey that took the hit.

But looking ahead, it's still my opinion that DirecTV has the greatest commitment to sports programming. Frankly, I doubt that the sports packages that Comcast and others offer would be available if DirecTV hadn't led the way.

Does that mean DirecTV has an entitlement to my business in perpetuity? Of course not. If there's a much better deal out there, I'll consider it. And if hockey continues to be singled out, I'll definitely consider a change. But for now, the Versus/DirecTV tug-of-war is just a routine battle in world of Pay TV. Let's not forget that the Cable vs. Big Ten Network nonsense dragged on for years, with programming being interrupted for a little over a year.

Comment

I miss the days of NHL hockey on ESPN/ESPN2. That's where the NHL belongs. Its funny how "the smartest guys in the room" can make such dumb decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

I'm fortunate enough to live where my fav NFL team plays, so I can watch them live anyway, and the new RedZone channel this year was amazing, skips from game to game live when they get interesting. I imagine Sunday Ticket is slightly more fun because you can stick with a game when you want of course, but they did a really nice job with that channel and it's included with Comcast's digital sports tier.

Originally posted by BB_Cubs View Post
                      I miss the days of NHL hockey on ESPN/ESPN2. That's where the NHL belongs. Its funny how "the smartest guys in the room" can make such dumb decisions.
                      Seriously. Poor Gary Thorne is so out of practice that when he does have an opportunity to do a hockey game he doesn't know a thing about the players (or their names). I think that Comcast buying NBC Universal might mean even more hockey games on network TV down the road, since they own VS/Flyers.

As far as the DirecTV/Versus debate, as I understood it there was bickering on both sides, but finally DTV had enough of the negotiations and decided it wasn't worth their time/money. Really customer complains will be all that get it changed because Comcast would of course hope that people change to their service and thus won't back down from their demands it seems.
                      Boston University 2009 Champs
                      Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

The standard price for Sunday Ticket is $300 for the season, $400 for the Super Fan option. You can spread the payments out over 5 months. In addition to being able to watch any game, you also get the SuperCuts version where they just have the game action. There is a 4-minute version and a 30-minute version of each Sunday game. Those are available for download starting on Tuesday.

The NHL isn't the only league to take it on the chin. College football is also aired on Versus, most notably TCU games.

What are the odds Dish Network runs into this problem with Versus when their contract runs out?

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
                          Seriously. Poor Gary Thorne is so out of practice that when he does have an opportunity to do a hockey game he doesn't know a thing about the players (or their names). I think that Comcast buying NBC Universal might mean even more hockey games on network TV down the road, since they own VS/Flyers.
                          I really enjoyed listening to Gary Thorne doing hockey games. I always felt he was one of the better hockey announcers. Isn't he the voice of Baltimore Orioles baseball now?

Comment

We get Versus as channel 65 in a lounge TV at work (Waltham, Mass.), but the signal is really lousy (lots of flipping, etc., besides the bad camera angles, etc.); I think that our provider might be Comcast, but not sure. This poor reception does not sound typical based on the comments in this thread, but thought I would ask before exploring further (i.e., maybe we are not paying for Versus, which could explain the degraded signal?).

Comment

FYI, I wrote to them after I saw this thread and have received 2 responses from 2 different people already. I don't think we'll ever get enough college hockey coverage, but who knows, id enough of us complain, they might do something about the "squeaky wheel"
                              "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                              Tom Serratore

Comment

Working...
                              X