UMD v MN Round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMD v MN Round 2

Well MN won the first two - 3-1 and 3-0 down at Ridder.

Thoughts on this weekend's matchup? For now, all I can say is Harss for UMD has certainly gotten more comfortable in net since week 3 and both teams freshman class have a ton more experience.

Re: UMD v MN Round 2

Originally posted by binnyrus View Post
    Thoughts on this weekend's matchup?
    Personnel differences from week #3: UM adds Zebro, loses Räty; UMD adds LaRocque, loses Touminen and Posa.

My guess is that the Bulldgos have improved more, so I'd expect them to do better than being outscored 6-1. Their second line wasn't much of a factor the first time, and I doubt that will be the case now.

This is one of those series where I'll be happier once it is in the rearview mirror.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      This is one of those series where I'll be happier once it is in the rearview mirror.
      The "glass half empty" in me says that, despite the Gophers' current 11 game unbeaten streak, they are not playing up to their capabilities right now. I'm sure they'll be really pumped for these matchups, but they just might mean more to UMD, as I'm sure they haven't yet given up on the conference title. If they are to catch Minny, they'll likely need to win both, whereas the Gophers would probably settle for a split, especially on UMD's ice.

I think Minnesota has to win the first one, because if they don't UMD will be even more motivated. While logic would favor a split in this series, I have a hunch it will be a sweep - I just don't know by whom.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I think Tuominen's absence could mean the most to UMD - she's such a steadying influence on the team . . . and could be really important if UMD gets behind early. On the other hand, Friddy and Blais, have come on pretty strong the last few outings. Wilson, Cournoyer and Wong have been playing really well too and am hopeful that they will have a pretty big impact.

On D Rasmussen has had a very strong year and with Larocque's return UMD has someone that can skate it out if need be. Murray has played very solidly all year and if Gray sticks to her role and concentrates she can be reliable.

As usual, so much will come down to special teams . . .and UMD's PP has nothing to write home about. Would be a nice weekend for that to wake up! The PK has been solid though.

See ya all at the games!! Section 12 with the "JEN-NY" sign in hand. Come over to say hi . . .

Comment

Originally posted by binnyrus View Post
          See ya all at the games!! Section 12 with the "JEN-NY" sign in hand. Come over to say hi . . .
          We will stop by and introduce ourselves...I'll bring ARM and Brooky with us! An early thank you for the mild weather you're expecting...we need to be back by early evening for Sunday TV viewing.
          Without mutual respect for all participants, our game will slowly self-destruct...

Comment

Originally posted by BozIce99 View Post
            We will stop by and introduce ourselves...I'll bring ARM and Brooky with us! An early thank you for the mild weather you're expecting...we need to be back by early evening for Sunday TV viewing.
            I won't be too far behind, either.

Boz -- I concur with the Sunday evening sentiment.
            Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
            Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
            Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by BozIce99 View Post
              Alrighty then, I've never been "outed" at the DECC...I s'pose I'll have to hire a few personal security guards.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Time for some links. Thanks to brookyone for doing some of the legwork already.

Game notes
                -- Minnesota - GopherSports.com
                -- UMD - UMDBulldogs.com

Articles
                -- Kevin Pates / Duluth News Tribune - Durable Rasmussen set to break UMD playing record
                -- John Hageman / Minnesota Daily - Duluth trip offers women chance to claim conference crown
                -- Bob Sansevere / St. Paul Pioneer Press - U cool about No. 1 ranking
                -- Roman Augustoviz / Star Tribune - Gophers putting emphasis on defense
                Last edited by CrazyDave; 02-04-2010, 11:22 PM. Reason: Added more links

Comment

Sansevere sure has a knack for posing some interesting (dare I say brash?) questions. And Frost sure has a knack for responding with intelligent, honest answers. This combination makes for a good interview.

Hope to see lots of timely game updates from those attending the game in Duluth tonight...I'll be checking in on this thread starting around 7:00 pm. Drive safely - it's still snowing as I type this.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    I'll be checking in on this thread starting around 7:00 pm.
                    It'll be ~ 39 hours before I see this thread again. By then, a lot of cowbells will have clanged, and the Gophs "gooning" will have elicited many a cry of outrage from the UMD faithful as we "dive" in response to their good, physical play. Maybe we'll learn a little more about the WCHA race, or we'll just learn that there is still a lot to be decided. My suspicion is that the 'Dogs have worked themselves up to having a very realistic shot come March, so I think this weekend will be tough. In any case, I hope we see some good hockey.

Good luck, Gophers!
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      It'll be ~ 39 hours before I see this thread again. By then, a lot of cowbells will have clanged, and the Gophs "gooning" will have elicited many a cry of outrage from the UMD faithful as we "dive" in response to their good, physical play. Maybe we'll learn a little more about the WCHA race, or we'll just learn that there is still a lot to be decided. My suspicion is that the 'Dogs have worked themselves up to having a very realistic shot come March, so I think this weekend will be tough. In any case, I hope we see some good hockey.

Good luck, Gophers!
                      Why 39 hours? Do the hotels in Duluth not have internet?

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                        Why 39 hours? Do the hotels in Duluth not have internet?
                        My guess is that he's headed back to the Twin Cities after game 2, which puts him home around midnight (locally) Saturday night.

The one thing I haven't figured out why the free Internet seems to be reserved for places like Super 8, Motel 6, and Comfort Inn, whereas it's an extra fee for places like the Sheraton.

That said, I plan to be online after the game tonight and I'll provide my insight on the game (assuming the cowbells don't scare me from the arena ).

(That also assumes that I make it to Duluth in one piece. Not looking forward to this drive... Hopefully conditions will get better as I get north.)
                        Last edited by CrazyDave; 02-05-2010, 10:00 AM.

Comment

(That also assumes that I make it to Duluth in one piece. Not looking forward to this drive... Hopefully conditions will get better as I get north.)
                          Duluth weather should be OK, especially after you cross what we call the "Hinckley Line"! The weather is usually better or worse after Hinckley, depending on your direction of travel. We have a cold, gusty east wind off Lake Superior which makes it delightful near the DECC!
                          Here is the link to the NWS Duluth current weather and forecast:
                          http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...d2=-92.118&e=1

Should be an interesting series! UMD's team play is much improved, but will have only 15 skaters (10F & 5D).

Originally Posted by binnyrus
                          Also hope we get a chance to meet. Always enjoy your posts. I'm the old guy wearing a really old (25+/- years), maroon, corduroy UMD Hockey cap!

DHMN should also be there with his fancy camera with a "10 ft" telephoto lenses!!

Comment

10 foot camera lens? I've seen 3 foot long lenses in the 600+ mm range.. they weigh 10 lbs or more and cost 2 years of house payments (or more!)

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

UMD Women's Hockey Fans Page

Comment

UMD wins the opener, 3-1 after coming back from a 1 goal deficit. Shots were 41-26, Gophers.

Comment

Working...
                              X