X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Fozen Four: Like this name?

Originally posted by streaker View Post
    Where has the WCHA been lately, Four
    Screwed by the seeding process, naturally.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      And the term around here is "F4" which also goes hand in hand with the "F5" term (WCHA Final Five). That, of course, is the best conference tourney, hands down.
      You just made people in Oklahoma shudder, not in fear of what is the WCHA, but referring to what they commonly know as "the finger of God."

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
        Screwed by the seeding process, naturally.
        Oh, the best of the best have to find a way to overcome this. Like having four teams in the Frozen Four. Again. As if seedings hurt them then. Better recruiting?

Comment

I believe ESPN's Chris Berman was first to use the phrase "Frozen Four". It started as one of his silly nicknames (like Bert 'be home by 11' Blyleven), and it just stuck. I suppose it's as good as any other name.
          Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
            I believe ESPN's Chris Berman was first to use the phrase "Frozen Four". It started as one of his silly nicknames (like Bert 'be home by 11' Blyleven), and it just stuck. I suppose it's as good as any other name.
            Really?
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

The Chris Berman theory is about the strangest one yet. The truth is that the name originated from within the college hockey community.

There is a post from 1994 in the Hockey-L archive that gives credit to the short-lived nationally syndicated TV program College Hockey USA.

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?A2=ind...-L&P=R2054&I=3

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                Really?
                You're with me, Leather.
                And if we die, before the battle's through, tell your mom, tell your dad, we were super rad.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                  Berman is awesome (my USCHO poster name was inspired by him, after all) but I really don't think Berman coined the phrase. I think the College Hockey USA Hockey -L entry in 1994 cited in this thread post 36 seems more definitive. Someone should ask Jim Rich about it- he was the host of College Hockey USA.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                    To the best of my recollection, what was forbidden was the use of Final Four, meaning the version with capital letters. If you wanted to use final four, you were welcome to do so. Also, it wasn't that college hockey was singled out; it was that the capitalized version was reserved for basketball.
                    I remember at the time the suggestion of using "final four" (lower case), but I remember it being said derisively. Essentially a joke meant to ridicule the NCAA pooh-bahs.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                      I have nothing really against basketball, it is fine sport for young men who are not athletic enough or manly enough for a real sport. I have seen basketball, I actually went to two games back in 1965.

As a huge hockey fan and one who has played both hockey and basketball, this is possibly the stupidest thing anyone has ever said on these boards.

Comment

Originally posted by True Blue Fan View Post
                        As a huge hockey fan and one who has played both hockey and basketball, this is possibly the stupidest thing anyone has ever said on these boards.
                        Not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                          Berman is awesome (my USCHO poster name was inspired by him, after all) but I really don't think Berman coined the phrase. I think the College Hockey USA Hockey -L entry in 1994 cited in this thread post 36 seems more definitive. Someone should ask Jim Rich about it- he was the host of College Hockey USA.
                          It's too not-annoying to be a Berman one.
                          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by True Blue Fan View Post
                            ......this is possibly the stupidest thing anyone has ever said on these boards.

Dude, you must not read posts by uwbadgers14 or varsitywisconsin on the Badger threads.
                            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

Dude, you must not read posts by uwbadgers14 or varsitywisconsin on the Badger threads.

I have, and you have a point there.

Comment

Originally posted by Brett Gobe View Post
                                You're with me, Leather.
                                Leather?
                                tUMD Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X