Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU @ Alaska: Spartanooks? Or Nanootans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSU @ Alaska: Spartanooks? Or Nanootans?

The Spartans make the trek to Fairbanks this week.

Michigan State is in 2nd and coming off a split with Michigan.

Alaska has a whopping two points in the last two weeks.

Discuss.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Re: MSU @ Alaska: Spartanooks? Or Nanootans?

Also, the Saturday game starts at 6:05 AST, contrary to what the USCHO schedule says. Not really sure why.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Found an interesting website with some old time pictures of Anchorage and Fairbanks hockey teams. Interesting, the Fairbanks team was called University of Alaska Polar Bears back in 1936.

http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm4/results...L&CISOROOT=all
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
        Found an interesting website with some old time pictures of Anchorage and Fairbanks hockey teams. Interesting, the Fairbanks team was called University of Alaska Polar Bears back in 1936.

http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm4/results...L&CISOROOT=all
        Good find...makes me wish we could do a Governor's Cup outdoors one year. Only problem is neither city has an outdoor stadium that could hold enough people. The only place that could even come close would be the football stadium in Anchorage, and I think that only holds a couple thousand people, if that. The Ice Dogs played an outdoor game a year or two ago at the Big Dipper's outside rink, but I think the seating there is pretty limited; Growden Park in Fairbanks could possibly work but you'd have to import a lot of temporary bleachers. And somebody would have to bring a flatscreen from home to play the intro video of universal destruction.
        Last edited by Squarebanks; 02-01-2010, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Before I say anything of substance,
          I have to know what we're up against.

What's a Nanook?

Comment

Ah, convergence is a weird thing.

Anyway, we really need to sweep _airbanks this weekend just to prove that we can still string together a good weekend. That, and Ferris has been stumbling around as of late, so It'd be nice to expand the gap between us and them.
            Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
            66 - 86 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
              Before I say anything of substance,
              I have to know what we're up against.

What's a Nanook?
              A polar bear capable of worldwide destruction via bombs placed in volcanoes and effective use of fighter jets.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                Ah, convergence is a weird thing.

Anyway, we really need to sweep _airbanks this weekend just to prove that we can still string together a good weekend. That, and Ferris has been stumbling around as of late, so It'd be nice to expand the gap between us and them.
                'Nooks need a sweep, or at least a good old fashioned W, in the worst way this weekend, not just for the standings but for general morale. We showed signs of life and some grit in Marquette battling back both nights, but the problem was it generally took being down two or three goals in the first period to elicit the said signs of life. Needless to say, I'm glad we've got State at home this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  A polar bear capable of worldwide destruction via bombs placed in volcanoes and effective use of fighter jets.
                  Ah

Then I would say we have our work cut out for us

Comment

Working...
                  X