UNH Club Hockey 2009-2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Club Hockey 2009-2010

Well I'm kind of new to the Club Hockey world, but a friend inspired me to take in a game, so I've started going lately.

UNH wins today 5-1 over Holy Cross.
    113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Re: UNH Club Hockey 2009-2010

Is the UNH club team good? Is it competitive hockey? Is it comparable to to D3 hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer6 View Post
      Is the UNH club team good? Is it competitive hockey? Is it comparable to to D3 hockey?
      It's comparable to intramural hockey, it's a group of guys who later in life will talk about how they played college hockey at UNH, when in reality, they didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazierEddie View Post
        It's comparable to intramural hockey, it's a group of guys who later in life will talk about how they played college hockey at UNH, when in reality, they didn't.
        Oh Eddie, I'm not even going to bother with responding to that comment.

First welcome to USCHO dreamer6!, The UNH club team looks pretty good, I did a quick check they have a roster of mostly ex high school players and a few prep school players (a little less experienced roster than some of the better ACHA DII teams and almost all ACHA DI teams. But unlke Eddie fights for, its not bad hockey.

UNH went 15-12-1 on the season in the Super East Collegiate Hockey League (SECHL). They made the Northeast Regional and lost in the finals to CCSU. and made their league playoff tournament and lost again to CCSU (a good team and the eventual National runner-up).

Comment

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
          Oh Eddie, I'm not even going to bother with responding to that comment.

First welcome to USCHO dreamer6!, The UNH club team looks pretty good, I did a quick check they have a roster of mostly ex high school players and a few prep school players (a little less experienced roster than some of the better ACHA DII teams and almost all ACHA DI teams. But unlke Eddie fights for, its not bad hockey.

UNH went 15-12-1 on the season in the Super East Collegiate Hockey League (SECHL). They made the Northeast Regional and lost in the finals to CCSU. and made their league playoff tournament and lost again to CCSU (a good team and the eventual National runner-up).
          Hey, thanks for the welcome, and your response. Would you be able to compare the level of play to any D2 or D3 schools in the Northeast?

Comment

Hey, thanks for the welcome, and your response. Would you be able to compare the level of play to any D2 or D3 schools in the Northeast?
            At the level of UNH Club Hockey-ACHA DII, the level of play is lower than NCAA DII schools (who play down in NCAA DIII hockey b/c there's no NCAA DII NCAA Hockey competition anymore...) and almost all of the DIII teams.

ACHA DI hockey is closer but generally still lower. there's some overlap with top ACHA DI teams and lower to mid range NCAA DIII teams.

Eddie will say different: but the lower level doesnt mean ACHA hockey isnt fun and exciting to watch. The players are experienced players at the HS, AA, AAA, and lower Jr levels. They practice and work hard and ACHA hockey is competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
              At the level of UNH Club Hockey-ACHA DII, the level of play is lower than NCAA DII schools (who play down in NCAA DIII hockey b/c there's no NCAA DII NCAA Hockey competition anymore...) and almost all of the DIII teams.

ACHA DI hockey is closer but generally still lower. there's some overlap with top ACHA DI teams and lower to mid range NCAA DIII teams.

Eddie will say different: but the lower level doesnt mean ACHA hockey isnt fun and exciting to watch. The players are experienced players at the HS, AA, AAA, and lower Jr levels. They practice and work hard and ACHA hockey is competitive.
              As with any multi-level sport, there is always some overlap between levels. DIII teams like Norwich, Middlebury, Plattsburgh, St. Norbert, Oswego, and Elmira could probably play competitively with the lower echelons of DI (Case-in-point: RIT this year), just like the Penn States and URIs of ACHA M1 have proven that they can compete with the lower levels of DII/DIII. Top ACHA M2 teams prove regularly that they can compete with the lower M1 teams (Siena went 1-0-1 against M1, and former DIII, Scranton this season), and some probably could compete significantly on the M1 level. There's probably even more overlap between M2 and M3, but I'm not as familiar with M3 to be able to say.

I'm a firm believer that Hockey is one of those sports that, no matter the level, will be fun, exciting, and interesting to watch so long as the two teams are on the same playing field.

But when applying This philosophy, you can't use DI, DII/III, M1, M2, M3 as these. You have to look at the level more as:
              1. Top DI
              2. Mid DI, Top DIII
              3. Low DI, Mid DIII
              4. Low DIII, Top M1
              5. Low M1, Top M2
              6. Low M2, Top M3
              7. Low M3

Of course, there will even be fluctuation and crossover in these groupings, which is why I have not listed example teams! Now, I do believe that financial concerns definitely shifts the talent pool toward the top groups. Thus, the truly "average" teams are probably in the upper part of group 3, not in group 4.

There are some exceptions of course. Teams like a DIII Scranton, or DIII Lebanon Valley might actually fall in group 5, despite being DIII (thus why neither of these teams compete in DIII any longer), and some M2 teams could probably fall in group 4.

But I do believe that the closer a game is to being between two teams on ONE of these groups (no matter which), it will be a good hard-fought and worthwhile hockey game.

But that's just my opinion.
              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Working...
              X