Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffalo State penalized for grant violations

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaah...8_10_ncaa_news

Wow. This news certainly is a shocker. The Bengals were positioning themselves for a possible ECAC West playoff berth this season too.

Re: Buffalo State penalized for grant violations

Originally posted by Derek Dunning View Post

Wow. This news certainly is a shocker. The Bengals were positioning themselves for a possible ECAC West playoff berth this season too.
    That is upsetting. It looks like they have a grant specifically for Canadians. One would think that because of Buffalo States location they have more than just athletes coming in from Canada. If the athletes are the only ones getting the grant, then this makes sense.

UWS has an international student grant, which the hockey players get, but so do the students from Sri Lanka, India, China...etc.
    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

The real problem here is that, again, there will be far too many innocent victims. The players had nothing to do with Financial Aid decisions, yet all of them will be punished. If I were a Senior on this team I would be at the AD's Office first thing tomorrow morning - and not in a very good mood. The larger problem is that the NCAA has become a mindless, heartless, and senseless beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Pops Ryan View Post
        The real problem here is that, again, there will be far too many innocent victims. The players had nothing to do with Financial Aid decisions, yet all of them will be punished. If I were a Senior on this team I would be at the AD's Office first thing tomorrow morning - and not in a very good mood. The larger problem is that the NCAA has become a mindless, heartless, and senseless beast.
        As someone said on the USCHO E-Board staff...

How about the lone Buffalo State women's lacrosse player that has to choose between giving up her financial aid or screwing over the whole team?

Rock and a hard place?

I feel really bad for her.

Comment

How about the lone Buffalo State women's lacrosse player that has to choose between giving up her financial aid or screwing over the whole team?
          Doesn't she have a third option -- quit the team? If the grant money is necessary to her continuing to attend the school, then that sounds like the course of action to take.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            Doesn't she have a third option -- quit the team? If the grant money is necessary to her continuing to attend the school, then that sounds like the course of action to take.
            True. I dont think that makes the decision any easier though.

Comment

I dont think that makes the decision any easier though.
              I agree that it isn't easy. But it is in keeping with the basic principles of D-III athletics -- playing for the fun of it, not for financial aid.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                Quit...no such thing.

Comment

Funny how fast this came down when compared to the UMD decision...

Comment

Not shocking to me. I could be wrong, but I believe other SUNY schools are doing much of the same thing and it simply is unethical.

Comment

With four teams all tied up at the bottom of the league this should be a very entertaining weekend of hockey in the ECAC West.

Chatham @ Potsdam
                      Oswego @ Cortland

Utica @ RIT - both tied for 3rd

Neumann @ Elmira - Neumann could make things interesting with a strong weekend.
                      RIT TIGERS
                      2007-08 AHA Pick'em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by creasemonkey View Post
                        Not shocking to me. I could be wrong, but I believe other SUNY schools are doing much of the same thing and it simply is unethical.
                        Hmmmmmm.....anyone look at the Plattsburgh roster??

12 Americans
                        12 Canadians
                        1 England
                        1 South Korea

While they are near canadian border, and you might be able to explain being close to the border, just like Buffalo, they also have 2 from Alberta, 1 from Manitoba and 1 from British Columbia. They are a long way from home. Let's hope it is Coach Houle and his assistants just doing a good recruiting job.

Comment

But if they do it for all international students and student-athletes then there shouldn't be anything to penalize.

I think I just stuck up for Plattsburgh. This snow is getting to me.
                          RIT TIGERS
                          2007-08 AHA Pick'em Champion

Comment

I find this very disappointing on a couple of levels. Besides the ethics question here, why are state funded American schools offering money to foreign students that's not available to our own students (or student/athletes)? No disrespect to my Canadian friends, but if I am not mistaken, Canadian schools offer reduced pricing to their citizens. Why are we subsidizing their education at our tax payers' expense? If I were still a NYS taxpayer, I would be seriously looking into this and quite upset if ithe situation gave advantage to Canadians or any foreign citizen over my daughter. I believe there was a similar conversation in one of the Minnesota threads.
                            There is no right way to do the wrong thing.

U19AAAA Forever!

Comment

Originally posted by notfromaroundhere View Post
                              Funny how fast this came down when compared to the UMD decision...
                              Smaller stakes, less impact in the most recent case.

Comment

Working...
                              X