Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beanpot 2010- Who's Got It?

It's right around the corner, and here's what we know so far:

Harvard, NU and BU are missing some big guns (Kessler, JMarty/Schelling, Kohanchuck) and BC has been underachieving all year. Could make for the most competitive Beanpot we've seen in awhile.

What do you guys think? Who's gonna get the bragging rights this year?
    Boston College
    4.00%
    Boston University
    20.00%
    Harvard
    26.00%
    Northeastern
    50.00%

Re: Beanpot 2010- Who's Got It?

I don't know who's going to win it, but I do know who's got the Beanpot... WHRB.

We're doing all four games for GoCrimson.com, with the Harvard games also on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org. Please feel free to send me feedback on the boards or through pms.

Also if anyone has anything to watch for with your respective teams, that's always helpful. How your PP has been doing or who's been on a scoring streak, etc.

Thanks.
    Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
    Go Crimson!

Comment

alslammerz, for NU senior captain Annie Hogan has 9 pts in her last 7 games, already a career high with 17 pts overall. Also, NU is 1 win away from its 500th victory. And the NU seniors have never won a Beanpot game.

Comment

From what I saw when Northeastern visited Princeton, and shut them out, is that they don't miss Schelling.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincetonFan View Post
          From what I saw when Northeastern visited Princeton, and shut them out, is that they don't miss Schelling.
          I agree. A lot will depend on how Bellamy (and teammates) adjusts to the starting role for the Crimson, and whether the Huskies can score more than two goals without the benefit of a shootout.

Comment

Originally posted by Bergey1 View Post
            alslammerz, for NU senior captain Annie Hogan has 9 pts in her last 7 games, already a career high with 17 pts overall. Also, NU is 1 win away from its 500th victory. And the NU seniors have never won a Beanpot game.
            Thanks. I will definitely pass on the Northeastern info to our broadcasters covering that game.
            Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
              Thanks. I will definitely pass on the Northeastern info to our broadcasters covering that game.
              Not to be smug, but isn't that what the game notes are for? Shouldn't they be doing research so that they know who and what the hell they are talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                Not to be smug, but isn't that what the game notes are for? Shouldn't they be doing research so that they know who and what the hell they are talking about?
                Of course that's what they're for. Also they're not out yet. So no harm in asking what fans see as the strengths and weaknesses of their teams, etc. now and using that to add to the game notes. Especially since it's easier to learn these things on a weekend than say on a Monday when the game notes come out but you're preoccupied with class and the other game your broadcasting (my situation, not the NU-BU guys).

Not to mention, there's a big difference between a game note saying X team has Y power play percentage, and someone on here telling me that X team has Y power play percentage, but have been struggling on the PP recently because so and so player in injured, and when she's not in the lineup, the PP is actually Z%. Which are the things I'm mostly interested in. Doesn't mean that if I get something that might be in the game notes, I'm not going to thank the people who contribute.

So of course we'll be reading the game notes. But there's valuable info to be gained by asking people about the teams they've seen already, it allows us to start our prep earlier, and at the end of the day, it doesn't hurt to ask. And for me, it gives me some things I'm going to be looking for during the first game as I scout it for the final round broadcast. e.g. I'm going to keep an eye out on Hogan to see how she does offensively against BU, who BU matches up against her, what her style of play is like, and what situations she is used in (PP? PK? 4 on 4?).

In other words, we are researching. It's just that I'm the only dope with a USCHO account that can ask fans what they see in their teams.

Edit: And not to put too fine a point on it, but neither of those things Bergey mentioned are here.
                Last edited by alslammerz; 01-28-2010, 09:04 PM.
                Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by PrincetonFan View Post
                  I agree. A lot will depend on how Bellamy (and teammates) adjusts to the starting role for the Crimson, and whether the Huskies can score more than two goals without the benefit of a shootout.
                  I agree. NU without Schelling is not a disadvantage whatsoever. What I'm worried about is finding the offense, and in fact, the loss of our best Dman is more troublesome. I'm not worried about Sulyma. In fact aslammerz, she holds the the NU program record for saves in a shutout (52, as PrincetonFan alluded to That's huge to me considering the likes of Gunn and Silva put on the Husky uniform ) . And I'm glad I was able to relay info that wasn't in the game notes for ya! If I come up with anything else I'll let ya know.
                  Last edited by Bergey1; 01-28-2010, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Loosing the Best D ? It Looks like the defense has been doing a nice job as a total unit, Not any one defensive player has been a totlal Standout. That is
                    the sighn of a good team. Strong Complete defense starting with the
                    Goaltending, Beanpot will be wide open this year.

Comment

I agree. NU without Schelling is not a disadvantage whatsoever. What I'm worried about is finding the offense, and in fact, the loss of our best Dman is more troublesome. I'm not worried about Sulyma. In fact aslammerz, she holds the the NU program record for saves in a shutout (52, as PrincetonFan alluded to That's huge to me considering the likes of Gunn and Silva put on the Husky uniform ) . And I'm glad I was able to relay info that wasn't in the game notes for ya! If I come up with anything else I'll let ya know.
                      This may be a painfully obvious question, but what dman was lost and how? injury, nationalization, etc.? I'm guessing it's the Jmarty you referenced in the first post.
                      Go Crimson!

Comment

Yes, it's Julia Marty. She's on the Swiss National Team and will be playing in the Olympics. She's also one of the captains for the Huskies.

Comment

Yes, it's Julia Marty. She's on the Swiss National Team and will be playing in the Olympics. She's also one of the captains for the Huskies.
                          Does Northeastern have a campus in Switzerland? How are they getting the top Swiss players to come to Boston?
                          Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                            How are they getting the top Swiss players to come to Boston?
                            A thing called recruiting.

Comment

A thing called recruiting.
                              One would hope that's not true in the case of Marty, as the NCAA frowns upon recruiting players off of another college team's roster.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                              X