Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread III: From the Beanpot until the end...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread III: From the Beanpot until the end...

I dont know if you all have heard about this yet but I thought some of you might want to read about it, with the similarities to Travis Roy. Norwood High was playing against Weymouth on Saturday when a sophmore boy, Matt Brown, went head first into the boards. He broke his neck and had surgery today to stabilize his vertabrae. You can follow his progress by becoming a fan of "PRAY FOR MATT BROWN #3" on facebook.

Here are some articles with information about it. The first one mentions Travis' accident at the end.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/reg...oc#articleFull

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/col...ome&position=1

Comment

Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread III: From the Beanpot until the end...

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      I believe Ed Ronan was at the game on Saturday. And Sniper was awesome. I still remember his shorthanded goal against Harvard in the Beanpot in 1990 when Harvard had a 5 on 3. *sigh* Good times.

But Jack MacDougall doesn't ring a bell. At all.
      Hockeydb has nothing on McDougall other than his one year at BU.

As a group, the heavily hyped 2001 Fab Five recruit class (Whitney, McConnell, Maiser, Miller and Klema) came nowhere near expectations. Only Bryan Miller, the least heralded of the NTDP group came close to reaching his potential. David Klema, the one non-NTDP player was was a playmaking center with very good numbers at Roseau (Minn.) HS (state champs in ’99) and in the USHL. I recall hearing some people say he would be the surprise of the recruit class. USHR reported he needed to increase his intensity, but he never did to Jack Parker’s satisfaction and was benched on numerous occasions. I recall some particularly dreadful efforts in the defensive end. Finished with 15 goals and 28 assists in three seasons.

Nick Gillis had a memorable game-winning goal in the ‘98 Beanpot championship game but never became the bigtime scorer many of us expected after setting Cushing’s all-time scoring mark.

Beyond his on-ice achievements at BU, my favorite Ronan moment came in 1997, six years removed from BU and several years after he won a Stanley Cup in Montreal. He was a late season call up to Buffalo and scored the GWG in overtime during a playoff game. A reporter tried to interview him about the goal, but Ronan told him “I gotta call Coach Parker and tell him.”
      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
        Hey, Fed League. Any news from practice this week?
        Practices are closed to the media for the time being.

Originally posted by BUT09 View Post
        Or the Beanpot Luncheon?
        I think BU Hammer's UMass preview covered all the important news regarding BU from the Luncheon. My Beanpot preview will run Monday, so there'll be some stuff from the Luncheon in that, too.
        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by WinTheThird View Post
          I dont know if you all have heard about this yet but I thought some of you might want to read about it, with the similarities to Travis Roy. Norwood High was playing against Weymouth on Saturday when a sophmore boy, Matt Brown, went head first into the boards. He broke his neck and had surgery today to stabilize his vertabrae. You can follow his progress by becoming a fan of "PRAY FOR MATT BROWN #3" on facebook.

Here are some articles with information about it. The first one mentions Travis' accident at the end.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/reg...oc#articleFull

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/col...ome&position=1

That's tragic and scary. My thoughts are with him and his family.
          "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

Some Video from the Beanpot Luncheon yesterday. Sound quality may not be the best, but here's what Jack Parker had to say yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG0M7-p0dos

Comment

That's tragic and scary. My thoughts are with him and his family.
              The team played again last night, and the same thing happened to another kid on the team...just an awful, awful situation...

http://www.boston.com/sports/schools...njured_on_ice/
              Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by BU Hammer View Post
                The team played again last night, and the same thing happened to another kid on the team...just an awful, awful situation...

http://www.boston.com/sports/schools...njured_on_ice/
                That's horrible. I mean, hockey is a dangerous sport, but the odds against that sort of thing happening twice are astronomical. I can't even imagine what the coach, or their teammates are going through.

Photography

Comment

Ya know, I did think Bryan Miller had some skill. I thought he got robbed of a Beanpot MVP because of the media lust for Chris Bourque. Heck, Miller did all of the tough work on that GWG in overtime, too.

That class was a big time bust, though. Was it Klema that got a verbal beating from Parker at the end of the tunnel behind the bench at the old WBA while the game was going on that a few sections could see from the visiting side?
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

That's horrible. I mean, hockey is a dangerous sport, but the odds against that sort of thing happening twice are astronomical.
                    I know it. Two serious injuries in two games in a row for the same team. That's almost impossible.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Biggest unheralded surprise is by far Johnny Curry. Not only did nobody expect what we got out of him (wasn't he HE MVP one year and runner up the other 2) but he saved the program as we know it...
                      *****http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2612/4159314257_09fc134c64.jpg******

Finally a photo that captures the Mr. Met proportions.
                      Boston University 2009 Champs
                      Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                        I know it. Two serious injuries in two games in a row for the same team. That's almost impossible.
                        I talked to the AD there yesterday afternoon before the game, and he said the kids and community was already very shaken. Rumor is the surgery for the first kid, Matt Brown, was successful, although I haven't been able to reach the AD to confirm that.

Certainly would hope you all will keep them in your prayers though.
                        Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

I talked to the AD there yesterday afternoon before the game, and he said the kids and community was already very shaken. Rumor is the surgery for the first kid, Matt Brown, was successful, although I haven't been able to reach the AD to confirm that.

Certainly would hope you all will keep them in your prayers though.
                          Tragic and moving stories. My prayers definitely go out to the families involved. I've read Travis Roy's book, and just from vicariously seeing what he went through, I hope that these injuries do not end up as severe.
                          Boston University 2009 Champs
                          Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

I'm less on Whitney's case than the rest because he played with a bunch of freakin' stiffs. I can't count how many times he made a perfect pass up ice to catch a forward in stride, only to have the puck hit the other player on the back of the skate or bounce over their stick. Put him on BU's team last year with his skill and he scores 50 points.
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Second kid has a severe concussion, but appears to be fine. Also, surgery on the first kid, Matt Brown, went as well as they could hoped. They're still unsure about his paralysis.
                              Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

Second kid has a severe concussion, but appears to be fine. Also, surgery on the first kid, Matt Brown, went as well as they could hoped. They're still unsure about his paralysis.
                                That's great news about the concussion (as odd as that sounds). I hope that when the swelling goes down Matt Brown's prognosis is good as well.

Photography

Comment

Working...
                                X