Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread III: From the Beanpot until the end...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread III: From the Beanpot until the end...

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
    "None of BU, RPI or Notre Dame are in the top 25 of the PWR and none of the three have any affect on each others rankings right now."

That seems just... false, to me. RPI and ND currently have an impact on BU's RPI, hence they have an impact on whether we make the top 25 to be a TUC or not.

I know that none of us are in the PWR right now, but we do affect each others rankings. When we lost to RPI (this is confusing with all the RPI going on) everybody thought it was a terrible terrible loss that would really hurt our RPI and ability to be in the top 25, which I guess it was, but my point was to point out that they've been playing better hockey and that loss right now really doesn't look that much worse than the ND loss, which seemed much better, because ND isn't living up to expectations.
    I think his point was that since all are out of the top 25, they're only marginally affecting one another right now. In fact, if BU were to move into the top 25, and ND and RPI kept losing, they'd be helping BU by knocking 2 losses off our TUC record. I believe if BU were to move back into the PWR tomorrow (theoretically) we would immediately take a few pairs right away because our TUC record is pretty decent compared to the others at the bottom of the top 25.
    time to write new history

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread III: From the Beanpot until the end...

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
      I think his point was that since all are out of the top 25, they're only marginally affecting one another right now. In fact, if BU were to move into the top 25, and ND and RPI kept losing, they'd be helping BU by knocking 2 losses off our TUC record. I believe if BU were to move back into the PWR tomorrow (theoretically) we would immediately take a few pairs right away because our TUC record is pretty decent compared to the others at the bottom of the top 25.
      Which is why BU dropped from 21 to not being a TUC. It's not that they dropped 5 spots in PWR; it's that they fell out of the top 25 in RPI. If they got back into the top 25 in RPI, they'd probably still be 22ish in PWR.
      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you blocked Providence out of your memories on purpose.

Edit: I know.... I'm multi-quote failing right now.
        I did kind of black out on that one.

That makes two eggs. I know we were crap on offense but the D is what killed us.

How many shots are we going to tip by Millan this year? Take one off the shin pads already.

I think my argument for the Fenway game is a sound one. It WAS a league game and we are fighting for a HE playoff spot.

I also paid $135 to sit on the Monster and froze my *** off. That with the fact it was a "once in a lifetime" thing.

If they ever do it again they should play at Alumni Stadium. Better views.

Doubt John Henry would let that happen.

Casual fans make me sad...and then angry.
        Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

All I gotta say is: defkit, right again! I feel a ton better about this team after watching them in the Beanpot final. They are finally playing with confidence and poise. And you know, behaving like they've played with each other before.

Millan was awesome. Look at the goals he gave up: 1st goal hit #21's stick and fluttered over him (He was square to the shooter.) 2nd goal was a tipped shot. 3rd goal was the best Beanpot goal since This one (37 seconds in) 4th goal was a two on one snipe.

BU vs BC is 2-2 right now. I'm looking forward to the tie-breaker.

Big weekend ahead. Maine's back. I wish Walshy was back too.

BU Hockey: Game Found
          It Happened!!!!

Comment

Let me ask a serious question. Is Rollie a flight risk to leave the program at any point? If Millan is the man going forward, is Rollie content to just get practice pucks? More importantly, is Toronto, the team that I think (correct me if I'm wrong) drafted him? They're both the same year. If Millan is the man, why stick around (don't say education)?
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              Let me ask a serious question. Is Rollie a flight risk to leave the program at any point? If Millan is the man going forward, is Rollie content to just get practice pucks? More importantly, is Toronto, the team that I think (correct me if I'm wrong) drafted him? They're both the same year. If Millan is the man, why stick around (don't say education)?
              Not sure where he's going to go. Its like Bennett could make a break from the program, but he still sucks. Rollie isn't as bad as Bennett obviously, but I haven't seen anything that would make me think he could be The Man in a similar situation elsewhere.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

"None of BU, RPI or Notre Dame are in the top 25 of the PWR and none of the three have any affect on each others rankings right now."

That seems just... false, to me. RPI and ND currently have an impact on BU's RPI, hence they have an impact on whether we make the top 25 to be a TUC or not.

I know that none of us are in the PWR right now, but we do affect each others rankings. When we lost to RPI (this is confusing with all the RPI going on) everybody thought it was a terrible terrible loss that would really hurt our RPI and ability to be in the top 25, which I guess it was, but my point was to point out that they've been playing better hockey and that loss right now really doesn't look that much worse than the ND loss, which seemed much better, because ND isn't living up to expectations.
                There's some confusion between TUC, RPI, and RPI the school between the two posters.

Basically one way to look at RPI is any team you have played this year you would like to win as much as possible (the more times you played them the more you want them to win, come on BC ) Because a win versus a team with a high RPI helps your RPI more than a win against a team with a bad RPI, and a loss against a top team hurts less. So mathematically speaking whichever team is lower hurts more, but it's not the ranking that matters (29 vs 30), but the actual RPI value (.5082 vs .5036) and in this case since they are relatively close they hurt about the same, although Michigan's loss hurts marginally more right now.

The exception to wanting teams you played to keep winning would be how badly it hurts the TUC comparison. But, IMO only if the team is in 20-25 will it generally help you for them to drop out, because once their RPI is low enough to drop them out of the top 25 it will make the losses and wins mathematically worse. For example if we lost all 4 BC games I would still root for them to keep winning as simply playing a top 5ish team so often would be more helpful than the 4 TUC losses would hurt, in many cases, but not all. However, if they were team 24 I would want them to drop to 26 and stay there.
                Last edited by Agganis; 02-10-2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

If the Leafs saw enough potential in him to draft him, then they want him to play. I would believe that if the writing is on the wall and Millan is going to be getting the bulk of the playing time, Toronto would want Rollie to go elsewhere. Not another college, but somewhere in the minors to hone his game and see more pucks. That's the course most usually for goalies anyway.

I would not be surprised if he left after the season (or prior to next season's pro camps) IF he and Toronto are serious about his hockey playing future.

Comment

Originally posted by BUTerrierfan View Post
                    If the Leafs saw enough potential in him to draft him, then they want him to play. I would believe that if the writing is on the wall and Millan is going to be getting the bulk of the playing time, Toronto would want Rollie to go elsewhere. Not another college, but somewhere in the minors to hone his game and see more pucks. That's the course most usually for goalies anyway.

I would not be surprised if he left after the season (or prior to next season's pro camps) IF he and Toronto are serious about his hockey playing future.
                    Interesting thought. He could bolt, but where would he play? He'd be too old for MJ (I think), and he's not going to get a starting AHL job. Is backup there or starting ECHL really any better than staying at BU and getting the starts he'll get (not top billing, for sure, but the occasional game)?
                    "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

One thing to keep in mind here is that Parker is very wary of what happened last year to BC when Muse got hurt and they just didn't have anybody to turn to.

Even up until the end of last week, he hadn't put Millan on full-time status (he actually said today that he's still going to wait until Saturday to make a decision on who starts the second game this weekend).

Parker is adamant about keeping a goaltending rotation when possible, especially early in a season. Rollheiser's going to get his fair shot to win the starting job so long as he and Millan are both on campus. Obviously, if Toronto says that's not enough PT, then that's another story, and I'm sure Rollheiser is going to oblige the team that will hopefully throw him a paycheck one day. But it's not like Rollheiser is going to show up next season and wind up in an Adam Kraus situation.

I know it's a throwback and probably too obscure at this point to use as a legitimate example, but Dan Brady and Tim Regan spent three years on BU's varsity squad together from 1969-72 (back when freshman weren't allowed to play). I'm not sure who was starting first, but in essence, one player played the first year and a half almost exclusively, then for their last year an a half on campus, the other got almost all the starts.

Point being, it wouldn't be unprecedented for Rollheiser to earn more playing time in the next two years.
                      Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by BU Hammer View Post
                        One thing to keep in mind here is that Parker is very wary of what happened last year to BC when Muse got hurt and they just didn't have anybody to turn to.

Even up until the end of last week, he hadn't put Millan on full-time status (he actually said today that he's still going to wait until Saturday to make a decision on who starts the second game this weekend).

Parker is adamant about keeping a goaltending rotation when possible, especially early in a season. Rollheiser's going to get his fair shot to win the starting job so long as he and Millan are both on campus. Obviously, if Toronto says that's not enough PT, then that's another story, and I'm sure Rollheiser is going to oblige the team that will hopefully throw him a paycheck one day. But it's not like Rollheiser is going to show up next season and wind up in an Adam Kraus situation.

I know it's a throwback and probably too obscure at this point to use as a legitimate example, but Dan Brady and Tim Regan spent three years on BU's varsity squad together from 1969-72 (back when freshman weren't allowed to play). I'm not sure who was starting first, but in essence, one player played the first year and a half almost exclusively, then for their last year an a half on campus, the other got almost all the starts.

Point being, it wouldn't be unprecedented for Rollheiser to earn more playing time in the next two years.
                        See also: Larocque, Michel and Noble, Tom
                        Although they weren't the same class, Noble got the bulk of playing time in 95-96, but then Larocque got more time in 96-97 and 97-98.
                        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

let's not forget the prospect of kieran himself leaving to go pro if he's got something lined up for himself.
                          time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by BU Hammer View Post

Throw Craig and Durocher into the mix (of course, this was before the Olympics, but still).
                            Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                            ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

So watching the Red, White and BU NESN show.... what are the respective political leanings of Parker and O'Callahan that causes their arguments? I have an idea, but nothing solid to base it upon.
                              Go BU!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
                                If I'm Parker, I point out the success that Yip and Gilroy are having compared to Strait and Wilson. I know it's not apples to apples but I don't see how staying can hurt their prospects.
                                Wilson had a tough start because of a major groin injury. He is playing quite well now, as he has 24 points in his last 17 games, was named AHL Rookie of the Month, and was recalled to Nashville.
                                It's BU's Beanpot

Comment

Working...
                                X