X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2010 Beanpot: Featuring One Team Under Consideration

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
    2 Hockey East points, in a once in a lifetime event, shouldn't it be more important?
    I agree that it should be more important. However, I would guess the majority of the BU fan base would say that they would rather win the Beanpot.
    2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
    2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Always good to see Rover dust off one of his cue cards

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        Even you guys could get into UConn. So that would work out for you.

You're jealous of BC because you couldn't get in. You wouldn't be jealous of a school that you got accepted to and chose not to attend.
        I got into BC. I went to BU. I preferred their seven year medical program. Believe it or not things like that happen! I have no reputation to defend on this forum, nor does anyone even know me; so, you can just take it for what it's worth. Now off I go.

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
          I agree that it should be more important. However, I would guess the majority of the BU fan base would say that they would rather win the Beanpot.
          Unless they lose the Beanpot, in which case, the Fenway event was a once in a lifetime event (AND it counted in the standings).
          BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
          -
          Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Moving on to actual hockey talk...

I will assume (with trepidation) that Milner will start game 1. Has he made any "big" starts before? Hostile arena? Large arena? Millan was fazed by the Garden last year against Harvard; do you think the same might happen to Milner?
            Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
            ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              Nick,

It can be broken down many ways. I don't think the Beanpot is the be all end all that some do. I agree that BC should have won some more of these matchups over the years, I just don't see the extreme you do and certainly don't think the Beanpot should be used as any measure.
              Are you serious? The Beanpot is even more lopsided. Add in the Fenway game as another extraordinary event and you're talking about an absolute prison-raping. You know darn well I think the Beanpot is ridiculous but it's still a game for a trophy, it's a tournament with some prestige, it's played in an NHL building. I mean... sure it's worthless and irrelevant come March but it's not your regular run-of-the-mill game, either. And since BC and BU don't run into each other in the NCAAs much, where BC prospers, that's probably hurt York's case a little bit in this matchup. But still.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyDan View Post
                I got into BC. I went to BU.
                Does anyone have Bingo yet????
                -

Comment

Even you guys could get into UConn. So that would work out for you.

You're jealous of BC because you couldn't get in. You wouldn't be jealous of a school that you got accepted to and chose not to attend.
                  I ain't giving money to Jesuits.
                  ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    Are you serious? The Beanpot is even more lopsided. Add in the Fenway game as another extraordinary event and you're talking about an absolute prison-raping. You know darn well I think the Beanpot is ridiculous but it's still a game for a trophy, it's a tournament with some prestige, it's played in an NHL building. I mean... sure it's worthless and irrelevant come March but it's not your regular run-of-the-mill game, either. And since BC and BU don't run into each other in the NCAAs much, where BC prospers, that's probably hurt York's case a little bit in this matchup. But still.
                    So what is the breakdown, in the York era, of head to head BU vs. BC in the regular season vs. beanpot? We already have the postseason stats.

I would imagine that's where BC dominates.

Comment

• Re: The 2010 Beanpot: Featuring One Team Under Consideration

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      You know, if we here at BU were inclined to be jealous of another school's b-ball and football programs in the area, I'm thinking we'd choose the superior athletic program at UConn over Boston College.
                      Oh crap, I forgot to put "UConn is better" on my "BU fans talking about sports they don't know anything about" Bingo card.

That said - yes, this year, I think it's fair and obvious to say that if you're willing to disregard hockey, UConn has a leg up on BC in the revenue sports department. It's a no-contest in basketball, and you could make the argument UConn would win head-to-head in football (I'm not convinced, but you could make the argument quite convincingly).

Thus, I'm willing to say UConn's got the better football/basketball combo. Other schools on that list: USC, Texas, Ohio State, Florida.

Notably missing from that list: BU, Northeastern
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
                        So what is the breakdown, in the York era, of head to head BU vs. BC in the regular season vs. beanpot? We already have the postseason stats.

I would imagine that's where BC dominates.
                        Unlikely. I'm pretty sure BC is only slightly above .500 against BU in reglar season games, since the overall record is around .500 overall and BU has a slight leg up in tournament games.

I'm with Nick P. in this one, BU's teams clearly have the edge in these head-to-head matchups, especially considering the usual respective talent level. I'd still rather have BC's program over the past 11 years or so, but there's no doubt BU should be favored if these teams collide on Feb. 8.
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by IcyDan View Post
                          I got into BC. I went to BU...

I have no reputation to defend on this forum, nor does anyone even know me...

Now off I go.

[wind whistles in the distance]
                          Clearly, you're a phantom.
                          I ain't giving money to Jesuits.
                          We wouldn't want you. You're a creeper.
                          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
                            there's no doubt BU should be favored if these teams collide on Feb. 8.
                            The pairwise, RPI, LakerFan's computer rankings, KRACH, and the bookies would all disagree with you I think.
                            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

The pairwise, RPI, LakerFan's computer rankings, KRACH, and the bookies would all disagree with you I think.
                              If I were a bookie (HA HA!!! BC GAMBLING REFERENCE!) I'd put down a line of

BU 2:1
                              Field 1:2
                              -

Comment

Moving on to actual hockey talk...

I will assume (with trepidation) that Milner will start game 1. Has he made any "big" starts before? Hostile arena? Large arena? Millan was fazed by the Garden last year against Harvard; do you think the same might happen to Milner?
                                Milner has played:

Merrimack (W)
                                @Maine (W)
                                @UMass (W)
                                @Harvard (W)
                                vs. St. Lawrence in Denver (L)
                                Providence (W)
                                BU (L)

Past 14 games: 8 games for Muse, 6 for Milner. Straight rotation in league play over the last four games. As to who we'll see Friday against Providence and Monday against Harvard, no idea.

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                Are you serious? The Beanpot is even more lopsided. Add in the Fenway game as another extraordinary event and you're talking about an absolute prison-raping. You know darn well I think the Beanpot is ridiculous but it's still a game for a trophy, it's a tournament with some prestige, it's played in an NHL building. I mean... sure it's worthless and irrelevant come March but it's not your regular run-of-the-mill game, either.
                                I'm not saying the Beanpot isn't lopsided. Yes, you want to win it. You want to win every game, but it's more valuable for a team to play in that environment rather than just looking at win/loss. Same thing with Fenway. I'll take the March and April results anyday, as would you. Would you agree the fact that BU dominates the Beanpot really doesn't mean a whole lot in the end?

Comment

Working...
                                X