Boston University 2009 Champs
    Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

• Re: The 2010 Beanpot: Featuring One Team Under Consideration

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
      Counting syllables is hard.

Heck, counting is hard.

Wait, what are sillabowls?
      "In contrast to English verse which is typically characterized by meter, Japanese verse counts sound units (moras), known as "on". The word on is often translated as "syllable", but there are subtle differences between an "on" and an English-language "syllable". Traditional haiku consist of 17 on, in three metrical phrases of 5, 7, and 5 on respectively.

The word onji (音字; "sound symbol") is sometimes used in referring to Japanese sound units in English[5] although this word is archaic and no longer current in Japanese.[6] In Japanese, the on corresponds very closely to the kana character count (closely enough that moji (or "character symbol") is also sometimes used[6] as the count unit).
      One on is counted for a short syllable, an additional one for an elongated vowel, diphthong, or doubled consonant, and one for an "n" at the end of a syllable. Thus, the word "haibun", though counted as two syllables in English, is counted as four on in Japanese (ha-i-bu-n).

Most writers of literary haiku in English use about ten to fourteen syllables, with no formal pattern."

You may also note the number of on, but I suspect they don't teach you those technical things apparently at BC or BU.
      Last edited by jcarter7669; 01-29-2010, 02:38 PM.
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
        "In contrast to English verse which is typically characterized by meter, Japanese verse counts sound units (moras), known as "on". The word on is often translated as "syllable", but there are subtle differences between an "on" and an English-language "syllable". Traditional haiku consist of 17 on, in three metrical phrases of 5, 7, and 5 on respectively.

The word onji (音字; "sound symbol") is sometimes used in referring to Japanese sound units in English[5] although this word is archaic and no longer current in Japanese.[6] In Japanese, the on corresponds very closely to the kana character count (closely enough that moji (or "character symbol") is also sometimes used[6] as the count unit).
        One on is counted for a short syllable, an additional one for an elongated vowel, diphthong, or doubled consonant, and one for an "n" at the end of a syllable. Thus, the word "haibun", though counted as two syllables in English, is counted as four on in Japanese (ha-i-bu-n).

Most writers of literary haiku in English use about ten to fourteen syllables, with no formal pattern."

You may also note the number of on, but I suspect they don't teach you those technical things apparently at BC or BU.
        Could you please tell me how many "on" are in this "haiku"? I would like to know exactly where they separate, too. Thank you.

Jay Dee : Jack Daniels drinker
        John Deere rider
        or just dumb?
        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Nothing like popping in on USCHO mid day and reading some Haiku on the beanpot thread...
          Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
            Could you please tell me how many "on" are in this "haiku"? I would like to know exactly where they separate, too. Thank you.
            Oh I never said it was a haiku, but thanks for recognizing that....you must be tops in your class and as such I expect you know what a long vowel and syllable is. Have a try and I will see if I can't a third grader to check later and make sure you figured it out.

Have a great weekend, good luck to my new "other favorite" team the BC Eagles, and to all their wonderful but sometimes challenged fans.

Comment

Oh I never said it was a haiku, but thanks for recognizing that....you must be tops in your class and as such I expect you know what a long vowel and syllable is. Have a try and I will see if I can't a third grader to check later and make sure you figured it out.

Have a great weekend, good luck to my new "other favorite" team the BC Eagles, and to all their wonderful but sometimes challenged fans.
              Pretty much the response I expected.

You tried making a haiku, screwed up royally, then got called out on it, then found some random explanation that you don't even understand about how haiku is different in Japan, then got called out for not understanding that definition, and then claimed it wasn't supposed to be a haiku to begin with. Am I missing anything?
              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Oh I never said it was a haiku...
                Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                You tried making a haiku, screwed up royally, then got called out on it, then found some random explanation that you don't even understand about how haiku is different in Japan, then got called out for not understanding that definition, and then claimed it wasn't supposed to be a haiku to begin with.
                Let's all just point and laugh at jcarter...

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QnbXudF54PY&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QnbXudF54PY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

jcarter... you've outdone your own level of 'stupid.'
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Do kids have more leverage playing in college though? Say you're a Wilson for example and you have a good year freshman or sophomore year. The team that drafted him can either pay up to entice him to leave, or he can say he wants to work on his education and stick around another couple of years. If he's in a development league or the minors, saying no to anything the pros offer him isn't realistic. If he's in college he has better options and if the NHL thinks he can have an impact now, they have to pay the ticket.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    Do kids have more leverage playing in college though? Say you're a Wilson for example and you have a good year freshman or sophomore year. The team that drafted him can either pay up to entice him to leave, or he can say he wants to work on his education and stick around another couple of years. If he's in a development league or the minors, saying no to anything the pros offer him isn't realistic. If he's in college he has better options and if the NHL thinks he can have an impact now, they have to pay the ticket.
                    Not with the age restrictions on Entry Level Contracts. If you are a Gilroy, yes, or even maybe Millan, since he was drafted so late. If you are drafted in your first draft year, you are stuck with an ELC.
                    "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

there once was a dope named jcarter
                      who was desperate to prove he was smarter
                      but with grammar and logic ignored
                      he became the laughing stock of the board
                      never did a hippie fail harder
                      “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                      Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                      Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                      National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                        there once was a dope named jcarter
                        who was desperate to prove he was smarter
                        but with grammar and logic ignored
                        he became the laughing stock of the board
                        never did a hippie fail harder
                        Not a haiku but ***** funny
                        Originally posted by mookie1995
                        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                          fun with limericks!

cue random explanation from jcarter of the irish meaning of the word limerick and how the lucky charms leprechaun proves that the rhyming scheme used by steve is wrong.
                          time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                            Not sure if there are any strict rules or "on"s in limericks, but that's what we've got here.

Most writers of USCHO haiku don't give a ****.

Here's a nice one for you then, though:

JCarter misses high and wide... elephant walker.
                            Boston University 2009 Champs
                            Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                              jcarter... you've outdone your own level of 'stupid.'
                              No, you are just too stupid to recognize your own ignorance. That's said Tiny, I thought you were intelligent enough to just realize you don't know everything. Steve not so much, he is just too dumb to have a clue and he just keeps spouting off, but you.....ah Tiny, I thought you had half a clue. SLurpee and the candylicker well, they are BU fans and that's kind of self explanatory.

Steve, funny limerick. Kudos, something original from you for a change. But uh Just between you and me, I'm not a hippee.

Comment

shocking that the annual Beanpot thread has turned into a flame war. I can't remember this ever happening in previous years.
                                Boston University Hockey National Champions: 1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

"We shouldn't have to beat BC for the nationals. Hell, we can do that any time." - BU legend Jack O'Callahan after winning NCAA championship

30 Beanpot titles and counting

Comment

Working...
                                X