X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2010 Beanpot: Featuring One Team Under Consideration

Originally posted by SPIN CONTROL View Post
    I wouldn't call Bourque a bust based on his freshman year. A brain dead arrogant twit, yes. But not a bust.

Agreed about Trivino. Definitely the biggest bust to come out of Canada since Dan Bertram.
    Predictable. Bourque was a tremendous bust when you consider his 0.0 GPA and that helping him make an early exit. And the hype was unbelievable. For a guy getting so much PP time, those point totals are a little too low for the hype, draft status, and hype machine coming from you guys.

Dan Bertram, while not the goal scorer he was predicted to be, was a great defensive forward by the end of his career that still snagged 100 pts (ie - what John Sabo would have done in his dreams... although Sabo does have Bertram statiscally bested in the kicking a kid's face into oblivion outside of the Avenue department). Slight bust... BIG maybe. 100 pts isn't terribly difficult but if you get there, you've done alright.

Make a list for BC. Pineault. Lovejoy. Perry. Ryan Hayes. Cass. There's a start. Lovejoy and Pineault are probably 1a and 1b.
    Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 01-27-2010, 01:57 PM.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Kenny ryan
      BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
      -
      Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        Slight bust... BIG maybe. 100 pts isn't terribly difficult but if you get there, you've done alright.
        I don't know, I seem to remember Choo Choo Boy!!!! telling us that Bertram was the second coming of Paul Kariya and Waynes Gretzky combined.

Fighting the good fight

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
          Not to get into a ****ing contest (and I don't really get why this is even relevant), but BC barely squeaks into Group A. Comparing BC to Stanford and Duke is plain silly. I think BC is a great school, but so are all 8 you reference above, particularly is you segment them by discipline.
          I would be incredibly hard-pressed to call Florida, Connecticut, Florida State and Ohio State top-level academic institutions. In 2008, BC had a 92% graduation success rate for football, Notre Dame was 94%, Stanford was 93%, and Duke was 92%

Florida: 68%, Connecticut: 77%, Florida State: 69%, Ohio State: 52%

Overall student athlete graduation numbers:
          BC: 96%, Duke: 97%, Stanford: 91%, Notre Dame: 90%
          Florida: 69%, Ohio State: 78%, Connecticut: 81%, Florida State: 80%
          Last edited by eetzasqueed; 01-27-2010, 02:11 PM. Reason: Forgot to put UF's overall
          ...At life. And Goaltending. BC '11

Tried to draft Jerry York in the first round of fantasy hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
            Kenny ryan
            Never even played in a game. How can he be a bust?
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Predictable. Bourque was a tremendous bust when you consider his 0.0 GPA and that helping him make an early exit. And the hype was unbelievable. For a guy getting so much PP time, those point totals are a little too low for the hype, draft status, and hype machine coming from you guys.
              Bourque's legacy has nothing to do with hype. It has to do with the mockery of student athletes and everything the NCAA stands for. Jack Parker should be the last guy complaining about Major Junior and its ability to recruit 15 year olds etc.

If one was looking at Bourque and his tenure at BU, one could easily argue that Jack and company should move up to Canda and start scheduling games against Windsor.

The fact that Parker turned a blind eye to the fact that Chris Bourque didn't go to class for the entire 2nd semester is shameful and I wonder how he has any credibility when he pitches BU hockey to any family looking to him to look after their son.

BU still gets great recruits though so Jack must be doing something right sitting in those living rooms and painting a picture of what BU hockey represents.

Comment

Why would athlete's grad rates impact a schools rating or not? Is Georgetown not a decent school because they have basketball players leave early w/o graduating?!? Apples/oranges.

Now you can infer that bc tries to stick to recruiting STUDENT athletes like. Notre dame cries they have to... But that's the limit.
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                  . Comparing BC to Stanford and Duke is plain silly.
                  Agreed. BC is a great school but some of our backers get a little carried away.

Originally posted by bothman
                  Right or wrong, BC is largely considered the East Coast equivalent of USC. Not from an athletics standpoint, but rather a good school where a lot of wealthy families send their kinds (USC - University of Spoiled Children).
                  That characterization is fair. I was going to say "BU isn't exactly the home of working-class heroes," then I realized you're a Harvard fan, not a BU fan. So nevah mind. People can make "snooty Ivy" jokes all they want, but Harvard is almost definitely far more socioeconomically diverse than BC or BU.

Originally posted by eetzasqueed View Post
                  I would be incredibly hard-pressed to call Florida, Connecticut, Florida State and Ohio State top-level academic institutions. In 2008, BC had a 92% graduation success rate for football, Notre Dame was 94%, Stanford was 93%, and Duke was 92%

Florida: 68%, Connecticut: 77%, Florida State: 69%, Ohio State: 52%

Overall student athlete graduation numbers:
                  BC: 96%, Duke: 97%, Stanford: 91%, Notre Dame: 90%
                  Florida: 69%, Ohio State: 78%, Connecticut: 81%, Florida State: 80%
                  That's not really relevant to how good the school is (as Mookie said). Those are all really good schools in terms of quality of academic offerings available.

Never even played in a game. How can he be a bust?
                  It was a joke
                  Last edited by joegrav; 01-27-2010, 02:31 PM.
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                    I'm not talking about them playing songs that the students like, I'm talking about them being the ones who start chants and stuff like that 95% of the time.
                    Even removing the hyperbole, that statement is hilarious, during play bands are not allowed to play, so when they start chants it would just be with their voices, and I don't have a problem with students who are hockey fans starting a chant during a game whether they are band members or not. And band members do start a handful of chants each game, but no where near the majority.

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                    BU students would sit on their hands the whole game if the band wasn't there to prod them in the right direction.
                    As CC pointed out, I've been to more than a few road games where the students did more than just sit on their hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post

As CC pointed out, I've been to more than a few road games where the students did more than just sit on their hands.
                      I buy this. If the average BU female student sat on her hands the whole game, she'd have no hands soon. Eh? Eh? Har har har
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
                        I buy this. If the average BU female student sat on her hands the whole game, she'd have no hands soon. Eh? Eh? Har har har
                        Solution? How about someone invite Joe into 108 or 118 and let him have the experience for himself.
                        Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                        ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by btg1204 View Post
                          Sean Williams has a better SAT score than about 90% of the posters on this thread. He might make some moronic decisions but he isn't stupid.
                          it was over 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
                            Where the Harvard fans at?

All they need is for Muse to pull a-- well, a Muse-- and they can avoid the NU invitational.
                            What is the definition of a "Muse"?

Also, where's the guy who thought Tommy Cross verbaled to BU only to ditch them for BC?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              What is the definition of a "Muse"?

Also, where's the guy who thought Tommy Cross verbaled to BU only to ditch them for BC?
                              You missed the NU-BC semifinal, didn't you?
                              Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                              ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Maybe rover can fill us in on his thoughts. How would the busts of the last 13 or 14 years be ranked? A few names to throw out. We'll project Trivino at his current pace I guess?
                                A#1 Sabo - Far and away the biggest bust in BU history. Couldn't skate, shoot, pass, or hit people. Spent half the game in the penalty box, the other half laid out on the ice.

2 Juha Vouri - People forget he was looked upon with some promise when he came in as another Degerman, and had an okay start to his career (as a forward I believe). He then went on to become BU's worst d-man until Morrow graced us with his presence.

3 Bourque - What an idiot. Nothing more needs to be said.

4 McConnell - A good place to slot him. One of many misses from that era.

5 Maiser - Seemed to think showing up for two games in his career was good enough.

6 Brett Bennett - Worst starting goaltender not named Tapp, and in Tapp's defense he was never meant to be the go to guy.

7 Gregg Johnson (8th Rd. draft pick. 47 career points over 4 years)

8 Ken Magowan (7th Rd pick. 66 career points over 4 years)

9 Brian Collins (3rd Rd pick - 99 career points)

10 Kenny Roche (3rd rd pick. 89 points in 154 games over 4 years)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets make it a top 10, as I don't think a guy like DVG belongs and Lawrence did enough his senior season to qualify as only a disappointment, not a bust.

7-10 are pretty much interchangable.
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X