Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Denver at North Dakota: Big Rivalry, Big Weekend

Originally posted by Goon View Post
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that a Sioux player hurt Marvin, however, he broke the code and that hit must be answered for... Marvin's hit was dispectful and should have been punished by the league more serverly than the joke of a one game suspension. What would happen if that happened int he NHL?
    If the goal is not to hurt him, then how do you propose the Genoway hit be "answered for"? I can only assume a couple of different options. First, that he be checked hard, but clean, multiple times during the game. I have no problem with that.

Option 2, someone basically cheapshots him. Punches him, spears him, crumbles the cookies with a stick between the legs, etc... There's no place for that, and would furthermore hurt the Sioux by likely leading to one or more penalties against a pretty good pp, in games we will need to get some points from.

Option 3, someone offers to square off with Marvin in a fight. If he accepts, fine. If not, you're stuck with option 2 or nothing.

The NHL is different, and has different rules. They are also paid for their effort.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I know the 'code' exists in pro hockey, but does it really exist in college hockey?

Comment

TV and webcast reminders for this series.

These games are going to be viewable on both TV and the web. FSSN (Fighting Sioux Sport Network) will be originating the broadcasts which are being picked up by multiple broadcasters.

Friday Night - 7:30 PM CT
        TV
        FSSN
        FCS Central
        NHL Network

Webcast - pay
        Pioneer Vision at www.denverpioneers.com

Saturday Night - 7:00 PM CT
        TV
        FSSN
        FCS Atlantic

Webcast - pay
        Last edited by du78; 01-29-2010, 08:46 AM.
        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
          Hint: "Fighting" Sioux.

Anyone who watches WCHA hockey notices that UND games just seem to always have an "edge" to them. When UND falls behind by a couple of goals you just know the rough stuff is coming. Its just the style of play of Hakstol's teams.
          That's not exclusive to UND... THAT'S EVERY TEAM IN THE F-ING LEAGUE. (and yes, I felt the need to yell). You see that everywhere. It's a common trait of hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
            That's not exclusive to UND... THAT'S EVERY TEAM IN THE F-ING LEAGUE. (and yes, I felt the need to yell). You see that everywhere. It's a common trait of hockey games.
            If I remember right from last season Denver got ******y after the Sioux handed it to them.
            Last edited by Goon; 01-28-2010, 06:14 PM.
            Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
            Eric's Twitter
            The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
              I know the 'code' exists in pro hockey, but does it really exist in college hockey?
              Really how do you think DU would respond if a player took out Rhett Rakhshani, Tyler Ruegsegger or Marc Cheverie with a bush league check or hit? I would be willing to bet that the hit would be answer for. That's what we are talking about here. The code exist in college, juniors and in the Professional leagues.
              Last edited by Goon; 01-28-2010, 06:15 PM.
              Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                If I remember right from last season Denver got ******y after the Sioux handed it to them.
                yeah, JP in his typical whiny form...
                Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                  It does exist in college hockey. Personally I don't have a problem with it. I don't want to see someone try to spear marvin or hit him cheaply but if someone wants to square off with him that would be great, as long as Marvin is willing. Most players understand that if they lay a cheap hit on someone they will probably have to fight and they accept it as part of playing hockey. The only real problem I have with it is I feel these things should be taken care of during the game the infraction happened.

You have to stick up for yourself and your team otherwise all the other teams will just smell weakness and they will come at you even harder. It may sound almost childish but it is 100% true.

Comment

Originally posted by lord k View Post
                    It does exist in college hockey. Personally I don't have a problem with it. I don't want to see someone try to spear marvin or hit him cheaply but if someone wants to square off with him that would be great, as long as Marvin is willing. Most players understand that if they lay a cheap hit on someone they will probably have to fight and they accept it as part of playing hockey. The only real problem I have with it is I feel these things should be taken care of during the game the infraction happened.

You have to stick up for yourself and your team otherwise all the other teams will just smell weakness and they will come at you even harder. It may sound almost childish but it is 100% true.
                    Marvin has been around the game long enough to know that he is going to be a marked man when the Sioux play the Huskies. Instread of letting it feaster it is better off it get it out of the way that weekend and be done with it.
                    Eric's Twitter

Comment

It is GAMEDAY

GO DU!!!!!

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                        TV and webcast reminders for this series.

These games are going to be viewable on both TV and the web. FSSN (Fighting Sioux Sport Network) will be originating the broadcasts which are being picked up by multiple broadcasters.

Friday Night - 7:30 PM CT
                        TV
                        FSSN
                        FCS Central
                        NHL Network

Webcast - pay

Saturday Night - 7:00 PM CT
                        TV
                        FSSN
                        FCS Central

Webcast - pay
                        OK, so Direct TV channel 683 both nights, right?
                        "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                        Tom Serratore

Comment

Game Day!!

Go Fighting Sioux!! I will be watching through my phone, thanks to this glorious site.

Sioux get 3/4 points this weekend.
                          THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

National Championships:
                          1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

WCHA Regular Season Championships:
                          1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
                          University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
                          University of Oregon Ducks Football
                          San Francisco Giants
                          Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Note TV change on Saturday night. FSC Central game is now on FCS Atlantic.

Mike Chambers in his blog notes that William Wrenn and Luke Salazar did not make the trip to UND. Wrenn is out with a hip injury. Either Cody Brookwell or Paul Phillips will take his spot as both made the trip. Salazar is healthy and just didn't make the traveling party.

Comment

Originally posted by lord k View Post
                              It does exist in college hockey. Personally I don't have a problem with it.
                              The fans may think there is a "code" but I seriously doubt it.

UND's Matt Smaby stepped on Brock Trotter’s right leg in the process of delivering a check in 2005. Smaby’s skate came down like a guillotine and severed Trotter’s Achilles tendon. There wasn't any retaliation.

Look whats going on in college sports. Coaches are getting fired for all sorts of things (Texas Tech, Kansas, Indiana). Ordering retaliation and if a serious injury occurred (broken neck) would probably get any coach fired. Georgetown's John Tompson was suspended for ordering a retaliation a couple of years ago. The best revenge is victory.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                                The fans may think there is a "code" but I seriously doubt it.

UND's Matt Smaby stepped on Brock Trotter’s right leg in the process of delivering a check in 2005. Smaby’s skate came down like a guillotine and severed Trotter’s Achilles tendon. There wasn't any retaliation.

Are you suggesting Smaby intended to injure Trotter? You must be otherwise your comment is irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
                                X