Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Denver at North Dakota: Big Rivalry, Big Weekend

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
    Grand Forks is a 3 newspaper town: Grand Forks Herald, Dakota Student (campus news), and the pennysaver which is also very reliable for groundbreaking and accurate information.
    I think the Dakota Student is up there with the Pennysaver...my opinion.

Sioux take 3/4 points
    THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

National Championships:
    1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

WCHA Regular Season Championships:
    1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
    University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
    University of Oregon Ducks Football
    San Francisco Giants
    Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
      Denver is a one newspaper town and DU hockey probably rates somewhere around 20th in the sports pecking order in the sports section.

To make matters worse the parent company of the Denver Post filed for bankruptcy in January so you always worry about cost cutting. The Gophers lost their beat writer last year and their local coverage has nosedived.

Chambers has been covering DU hockey for 12 plau years and does a great job. He plays beer league hockey and his son plays youth hockey. Can't ask for more than that.
      I, for one, am grateful for any coverage of college hockey, even if Chambers has recently gone a little over the top with repect to the "fighting" angle between these two programs.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        I, for one, am grateful for any coverage of college hockey, even if Chambers has recently gone a little over the top with repect to the "fighting" angle between these two programs.
        Chambers doesn't cover anything! He beats on his chest about how great DU is and how bad everyone else is. That's not coverage. That's drivel. He should be forced to walk down Colfax with no pants on.
        Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Hint: "Fighting" Sioux.

Anyone who watches WCHA hockey notices that UND games just seem to always have an "edge" to them. When UND falls behind by a couple of goals you just know the rough stuff is coming. Its just the style of play of Hakstol's teams.

DU prepares for the rough stuff and how they handle it usually determines whether the get blown out or come away with a victory.

I would say that this is the first time in many years where DU has a decided talent advantage over the Sioux. Usually UND is the far superior team, and DU has to outwork, outhustle or out-think the Sioux to have any chance of winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
            Chambers doesn't cover anything! He beats on his chest about how great DU is and how bad everyone else is. That's not coverage. That's drivel. He should be forced to walk down Colfax with no pants on.
            Like there's something wrong with that!

r

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
              10 bucks says a North Dakota methhead transplant would offer to blow him.

DU sweeps. North Dakota sucks
              Last edited by dggoddard; 01-28-2010, 03:00 PM.

Comment

From a historic perspective
                Pioneers sweep
                I'm the guy with the gold jersey in Magness, who is probably drunk or at least getting in trouble for obscene cheers.

"You all saw what happened. Stick down, gloves off, He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names, CALLED US NAMES!"

CC's titles are older than NASA

Comment

I would say that this is the first time in recent years where DU has a talent advantage our the Sioux. Usually UND is the far superior team, and DU has to outwork, outhustle or out-think the Sioux to have any chance of winning.
                  UND with Genoway is a different team. Puck moving defensemen are the difference-makers in this league and he's the best. I think UND would be top 3 in the WCHA with Genoway in the lineup.

Even as it is, I'd be thrilled if DU can get a split.

Comment

Hint: "Fighting" Sioux.

Anyone who watches WCHA hockey notices that UND games just seem to always have an "edge" to them. When UND falls behind by a couple of goals you just know the rough stuff is coming. Its just the style of play of Hakstol's teams.
                    Funny UND hasn't had a Fighting Major in 2 + years and DU was the one that started gooning up last season when the Sioux took it to DU 8-3 in the first game. I also saw some rough stuff between Wisconsin and DU last weekend and UND wasn't within 200 miles of Madison.
                    Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                    Eric's Twitter
                    The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by lord k View Post
                      If Davidson is in the lineup when they play st. cloud you know something will be going down.
                      I would expect him to be in the line up one of the nights and in my opinion that guttless Bush League Hit has to be answered for because Marvin's hit has probably cost UND a higher finish and possibly a run deep into the playoffs because UND was a much different team with Chay in the line up.
                      Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                        Funny UND hasn't had a Fighting Major in 2 + years and DU was the one that started gooning up last season when the Sioux took it to DU 8-3 in the first game. I also saw some rough stuff between Wisconsin and DU last weekend and UND wasn't within 200 miles of Madison.
                        Weird. Seems they weren't in Denver for the DU-UAA series either.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Weird. Seems they weren't in Denver for the DU-UAA series either.
                          Yeah! Since the wrod on the street is that UND is always in the middle of th Donnybrooks...
                          Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                            I would expect him to be in the line up one of the nights and in my opinion that guttless Bush League Hit has to be answered for because Marvin's hit has probably cost UND a higher finish and possibly a run deep into the playoffs because UND was a much different team with Chay in the line up.
                            I hope that's not the case, for a variety of reasons.

First, injuring or even pounding Marvin doesn't bring Chay back any sooner.

Second, I have too much respect for the Marvin family and what they've done for UND hockey.

Third, there is no place for that in college hockey. I would never want another student-athlete hurt, or even beat on, for whatever he might have done. It has to be handled within the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                              ....Judgement is what refs get paid for - not just calling penalties.
                              I get Sicatoka's point - it's how we all feel it should be. But you nailed it: reffing is about providing safety & establishing control. In any contact sport, there's probably a textbook penalty on every play. The ref mixes rulebook knowlege with personal judgement to varying degrees as the situation calls. It's his judgement that needs to be consistent, not necessarily his calls.

When I hear "Hope they let us play next period", I don't translate that as "Hope they let us break the rules". Instead, I hear "We're GONNA break the rules, like we always do. I hope they don't whistle us so much next period."

Comment

I hope that's not the case, for a variety of reasons.

First, injuring or even pounding Marvin doesn't bring Chay back any sooner.

Second, I have too much respect for the Marvin family and what they've done for UND hockey.

Third, there is no place for that in college hockey. I would never want another student-athlete hurt, or even beat on, for whatever he might have done. It has to be handled within the rules.
                                I don't think anyone is suggesting that a Sioux player hurt Marvin, however, he broke the code and that hit must be answered for... Marvin's hit was dispectful and should have been punished by the league more serverly than the joke of a one game suspension. What would happen if that happened int he NHL?
                                Eric's Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X