• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Oswego vs Plattsburgh "The Whiteout game"

Originally posted by WnyoOZ View Post
    sooooo.... about the game tonight
    Just an update...

I spoke with SAVAC and they said the 'emergency' was a player in the locker room drying a glove under a heater and it caught fire.

Comment

Originally posted by WTOPAsstChief View Post
      Just an update...

I spoke with SAVAC and they said the 'emergency' was a player in the locker room drying a glove under a heater and it caught fire.
      So old news...

The Prez cracked the case with the help of Ozz in the score update thread

The "player" was Eric Selleck.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Well, that was fun

Of course we had to have that evacuation TONIGHT of all nights... now I've seen everything.
        WNYO and Oswego State Hockey Play by Play Announcer 2009-13 currently broadcasting for the NAHL's Keystone Ice Miners and still loving DIII hockey

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          So old news...

The Prez cracked the case with the help of Ozz in the score update thread

The "player" was Eric Selleck.
          Selleck's on fire all the time, so the glove decided to take it literally to the next level.

It didn't look like the same Oswego team out there tonite, but Plattsburgh never could deliver the clap. Even as nerve-racking as the last 10 minutes were, Oswego still dumped the puck and kept it away plenty. Regardless, they sat on the lead, and survived. I never experienced a lack of of oxygen like that to the brain before, but heck: the curse is dead, and the Lakers have delivered the regular season sweep. Well done.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone else see that ugly Platty kid spit on a rally towel on the fan cam? How classy .
          "To all those graduating with a heart that will forever beat for hockey at a certain place on Lake Ontario...
          this is for you."
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Screw rebuilding - we RELOAD here!

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Ranger View Post
            Selleck's on fire all the time, so the glove decided to take it literally to the next level.

It didn't look like the same Oswego team out there tonite, but Plattsburgh never could deliver the clap. Even as nerve-racking as the last 10 minutes were, Oswego still dumped the puck and kept it away plenty. Regardless, they sat on the lead, and survived. I never experienced a lack of of oxygen like that to the brain before, but heck: the curse is dead, and the Lakers have delivered the regular season sweep. Well done.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone else see that ugly Platty kid spit on a rally towel on the fan cam? How classy .
            I was awed when the "beauty" spit in the towel!

Was that the Cardinal goalie stick laying in front of the open net at the end of the game on Dormiedy's attempt at the open netter?
            2012-2013 Last Person Standing Champion
            2012-2013 SUNYAC Pick'Em Champion
            2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2016-2017 D-III Pick'Em Challenge Champion
            2013-2014 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Champion, 2014-2015 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Co-Champion
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Losers Bracket Loser Champion
            2014-2015 Atlantic Hockey Pick'em Champion

"A fast body-contact game played by men with clubs in their hands and knives laced to their feet.” - Paul Gallico

Comment

Originally posted by smbenny View Post
              Monday isn't too early for a prediction is it?

Oswego 3
              Plattsburgh 2

Overtime shorthanded winner by who?
              No overtime shortie, but ... wow! Nailed the score.

Great game, great atmosphere. Wouldn't be surprised to see another good good night like this in a few weeks for the SUNYAC championship.
              at the lonely end of the rink/you and me

Comment

Originally posted by netizen View Post
                No overtime shortie, but ... wow! Nailed the score.

Great game, great atmosphere. Wouldn't be surprised to see another good good night like this in a few weeks for the SUNYAC championship.
                I agree. It will be ashame if the two best teams in the SUNYAC don't play March 6th. Plattsburgh hasn't missed a SUNYAC Championship game in 20 years or so, so I guess its up to Oswego to take care of their buisness I
                ll be on a plane from LA to Syracuse that doesn't get in till 11:45pm, so I will be hoping to celebrate another SUNYAC title when I land Will be interesting to see if Satim and Williams both start...
                Remy Babineaux
                remyb616@gmail.com
                D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                  From my experience, arena size LED's (such as Panasonic's Astrovision) are priced around $40,000 per square yard, a 6' x 9' LED costs about $240,000. I do not know the size of Oswego's, but $1 million dollars it wasn't, prices have dropped significantly in recent years, but not that much.
                  Ok, now that I have seen the scoreboard, they are not LED's, but simple rear-projection screens, with relatively poor viewing angles. That said, they are fine for a public funded institution, and since they are merely projection screens, they are not easily subject to damage from puck impact. I would surprised if the screens added $50,000 to the cost of the sign, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the sign system as a whole cost $250,000.
                  Larry Normandin
                  SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                  WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Ok, now that I have seen the scoreboard, they are not LED's, but simple rear-projection screens, with relatively poor viewing angles. That said, they are fine for a public funded institution, and since they are merely projection screens, they are not easily subject to damage from puck impact. I would surprised if the screens added $50,000 to the cost of the sign, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the sign system as a whole cost $250,000.
                    Well, I'm sure we're going to find out how much it costs to replace one of the screens pretty soon after that puck put a nice sized hole in the South screen.

Comment

Originally posted by WTOPAsstChief View Post
                      Well, I'm sure we're going to find out how much it costs to replace one of the screens pretty soon after that puck put a nice sized hole in the South screen.
                      Prices have significantly decreased since they (Da-Lite?) were initially installed, so that is good. The labor cost of the repair is likely to exceed the materials. I also would add that while technologically not too impressive, I think it is a great choice for the venue - as evidenced by the recent damage. Had it been an LED, the required protective shielding would decrease the viewing experience to the point where it likely wouldn't be much better than what it is there now. That said, someone needs to find ways to effectively utilize it, a high-school media club could be better - note, I do NOT think its poor utilization is from a lack of abilities, but rather a lack of "top level" administrative support and leadership. During the fire-alarm and subsequent building evacuation, NOTHING, not even a pre-recorded message was displayed, it stayed “stuck” on displaying the text ”FAN CAM” to the point people were joking that must have been what failed and caused the alarm. Great potential, IMO, embarrassing utilization.
                      Larry Normandin
                      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Just a little food for thought....

I just took a quick glance at the All Time results, and it looks as if Oswego just dug their grave with their own shovel.

Plattsburgh has loss to Oswego twice in the regular season SUNYAC games a total of 4 times:
                        79-80
                        @ OSU 5-9
                        vs OSU 4-7

97-98
                        @ OSU 5-6
                        vs OSU 0-3

04-05 (one day off same scores)
                        vs OSU 2-5 Nov 6th
                        @ OSU 2-3 Jan 29th

05-06
                        vs OSU 2-4
                        @ OSU 6-7

HOWEVER, all three years when their were SUNYAC playoffs the Lakers and Cardinals faced one another. All three times it was IN Oswego. And all three times Plattsburgh has won. Just goes to show you how hard it is to sweep a team in the regular season and then beat them in the playoffs (at least when it comes to Plattsburgh and Oswego)

97-98
                        SUNYAC Finals
                        @ OSU 4-3
                        @ OSU 4-2
                        04-05

SUNYAC Semi
                        @ OSU 3-2
                        @ OSU 3-1
                        05-06

SUNYAC Semi
                        @ OSU 6-3
                        @ OSU 5-2
                        Remy Babineaux
                        remyb616@gmail.com
                        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Prices have significantly decreased since they (Da-Lite?) were initially installed, so that is good. The labor cost of the repair is likely to exceed the materials. I also would add that while technologically not too impressive, I think it is a great choice for the venue - as evidenced by the recent damage. Had it been an LED, the required protective shielding would decrease the viewing experience to the point where it likely wouldn't be much better than what it is there now. That said, someone needs to find ways to effectively utilize it, a high-school media club could be better - note, I do NOT think its poor utilization is from a lack of abilities, but rather a lack of "top level" administrative support and leadership. During the fire-alarm and subsequent building evacuation, NOTHING, not even a pre-recorded message was displayed, it stayed “stuck” on displaying the text ”FAN CAM” to the point people were joking that must have been what failed and caused the alarm. Great potential, IMO, embarrassing utilization.
                          Well said..
                          Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                          2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Having been in the press box for the fire alarm, the general consensus was that no one knew what was going on. Yes, a pre-recorded slide to put on the scoreboard should have/could have been made but it's one of those things you never expect to happen. I would imagine there is one being made now. I was also surprised that no one said anything over the PA as to whether it was a malfunction or real so that if it were not necessary to leave, no one would have to.
                            If WNYO provides the "Voice of the Lakers" does that mean I'm the "Face of the Lakers?"

WTOP Sports Director & PxP 2009-2010

Comment

I thought the staff did a pretty decent job evacing 3,000 people. They did annouce at the begining to locate your nearest exit, but I agree maybe they should do a slide show if it were to happen again. Security staff wasn't really pushing us out, so you could tell it wasn't a pure emergancy, but they were all pretty helpful. Glad to hear it was just a glove and not some stupid prank.
                              Remy Babineaux
                              remyb616@gmail.com
                              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                                I thought the staff did a pretty decent job evacing 3,000 people. They did annouce at the begining to locate your nearest exit, but I agree maybe they should do a slide show if it were to happen again. Security staff wasn't really pushing us out, so you could tell it wasn't a pure emergancy, but they were all pretty helpful. Glad to hear it was just a glove and not some stupid prank.
                                I initially thought it was a prank and the college kid in me said that that was the most hilarious prank in me and then the adult in me said wow, what morons, really?!?!?!?!

I think the actual reason is much funnier than the prank idea... although it could have done some real damage, thankfully it didn't
                                If WNYO provides the "Voice of the Lakers" does that mean I'm the "Face of the Lakers?"

WTOP Sports Director & PxP 2009-2010

Comment

Working...
                                X