Quinnipiac Bobcats 09-10: Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Quinnipiac Bobcats 09-10: Part II

Why does the skid have to be attributed to heart or poor coaching?Like someone mentioned this team was picked to finish 11th in the league. Maybe just maybe they were playing over their heads to start the year. I'd want to see at least back to back under .500 seasons before we canned the coach

Comment

Wong- That's the best I can imagine us doing. My actual bet is sadly not that lofty.

Hoffa- It's probably in between the two. We absolutely played over our heads to reach No. 4. But as someone mentioned there has to be some accountability for the slide that followed.

I should reiterate I don't think Rand should be fired now or after the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Quinn57 View Post
        "There are some people who post on our board, redrocker, that have a hidden agenda. For whatever reason."

Might be taking a bit far but either way he's entitled to his opinion.

I've got nothing personal against Rand but I think there should be more pressure on him than many of the people on this board would. How many times do you want to see the team start off impressively only to fail to make necessary mid season adjustments and fall off the map by the postseason? When this happens year after year with players coming and going, there's one main constant that at the very least you take a look at.

As for this year, we're not done yet. We have a pair of games left in the regular season. But honestly at this point would anyone argue that our ceiling is really a first round win and a moral victory in a tightly contested 3 game road series in the quarters?
        I wasn't talking about you, Quinn.

When they entered this league, Jack and Rand have both said they thought they'd be a 9-12 team in the league for about 4 years. Only then did they really believe they could start to move into a spot where they'd be gunning for a first round home series. Again, they thought it might be 4 years or so before they'd then get a bye.

Things have happened much faster than anyone could have anticipated. Or even, hoped. We've had a first round home series every year we've been in the league, which is really pretty remarkable.

Comment

Sorry, we were on the road in the first round the first year in the league. But we haven't ever lost a 1st round playoff series in this game.

Comment

Billy Mecca (Senior Associate AD) is on WQAQ right now. The ridiculous notion that Rand should be fired was brought up, Mecca not only ridiculed it, but said "Dude, no chance."

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
              Pecknold is 281-183-44 in 16 years at Quinnipiac with 3 regular season championships (99, 00, 01), 1 league championship (02), 1 NCAA appearance (02), and only 2 losing seasons.

Taylor was 342-433-55 in 28 years at Yale with 1 regular season championship (98), 1 NCAA Appearance (98), and 17 losing seasons.

Granted, Taylor did much more for hockey outside of Yale but I'm not sure I'd call that far more impressive as a D-I coach.

I am no defender of Tim Taylor's but you can't compare the two coaches Here's why;

#1.) ECAC included Hockey East Schools up until 1984 season. So Tim was consistantly playing BU, BC, UNH, from 1976 to 1984. How many games has QU played against BU, BC, UNH, under Rand?

#2.) Out of conference schedule was much tougher. Tim consistantly played the powers from the CCHA/WCHA...

#3.) Compare Rand's record since coming to the ECAC then you can make your point.

Here a link to the to the Yale Men's Hockey Media guide. Turn to Page 85 you will see a complete breakdown of who Tim was playing day-in day-out.

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m...y_ONLINE-2.pdf

I'm not trying to stir ther pot here since we're playin each other on Saturday. I feel you can't compare the two.

See you guys at the Bank on Saturday. I enjoy watching games there. Any recommendations regarding parking? Come early/leave early? Any info would be appreciated!
              Last edited by bulldawg21; 02-22-2010, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Come early, the parking lot will be jammed very early.

Comment

are we talking 6:00pm?

Comment

Originally posted by bulldawg21 View Post
                    are we talking 6:00pm?
                    The parking lot will probably be close to capacity by 7:00. (Game starts at 7:30, it's on TV (I think Ch. 9 in Connecticut)

Comment

Games on NESN
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

LOVE bill mecca!

to give you an idea of student turn out, tickets were GONE in less than 40 minutes today.

despite the team's performance, the students recognize that this weekend are the biggest games of the year
                        Let's go Q!

Win or Lose, I'm still a Bobcat

Comment

Originally posted by redrocker View Post
                          What everyone -- or at least people like bobcatsfollower -- seem to forget is that the Bobcats were picked to finish 11th in the league this year because they lost a ton of offense, their top defenseman, the starting goalie and have 13 freshman. The notion that he should be fired for overachieving is laughable.
                          Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! Best post I've seen here in a while.

We clearly took a lot of people by surprise at the start of the season. I'd even go as far as saying a lot of teams probably played down to us. Once everyone else figured out what was working for us, they changed their game plans accordingly. Still, the bottom line is that in most of our losses, we were in those games but bad luck and some soft goals against killed us. I'm not sure you can fault anyone for that.

The only complaint I have with Rand is that he possibly mishandled the goalie situation immediately after the Yale loss. Then again, he knows a heck of a lot more about hockey than I do so I have to defer to his judgement.
                          Quinnipiac Bobcats
                          2023 National Champions
                          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                          Northeast Regional:
                          West Regional: 2015, 2021
                          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by starlessixisky View Post
                            to give you an idea of student turn out, tickets were GONE in less than 40 minutes today.
                            Now all we need to do is figure out how to get that to happen for EVERY home game!
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                            Northeast Regional:
                            West Regional: 2015, 2021
                            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                              Now all we need to do is figure out how to get that to happen for EVERY home game!
                              Play Yale every home game.

That's all it is, its the crowd that comes for the Yale game.

Comment

Originally posted by starlessixisky View Post
                                LOVE bill mecca!
                                One of the best human beings I've ever met, right up there with Skip Gooley of the baseball team at QU

Comment

Working...
                                X