PDA

View Full Version : Future WCHA Final 5 in a 12 team league

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rich
01-21-2010, 01:13 PM
I didn't see a thread on this, but I may have just missed it.

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-hockey/id,17895/WCHAExpansionLikelyWontEndFinalFiveName12TeamPosts easonExpected.html

"The leading thought out of the meeting, the source said, was that the league could still use the Final Five title with a simple redefinition five games, instead of five teams."

Quick summary for those who don't want to read the link -
No decisions yet.
All 12 teams make the playoffs.
3 vs. 6, 4 vs. 5 Thursday
1 vs. ? Friday
2 vs. ? Friday
Championship Saturday
No more 3rd place game.

Concerns - reseed or fixed schedule for the Friday games.
Potential loss of revenue from moving one of the games from Saturday to Thursday.

Thoughts?

nuke
01-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Sounds great to me. The 3rd place game was always pretty much a drag. The only downside I see is that there is only one game on Saturday. Not much can be done about that though.

It's time to stop giving Minnesota the advantage too. Or more importantly, penalizing other teams for not being Minnesota.

ScoobyDoo
01-21-2010, 01:21 PM
I think they should reseed, but that's me.

As for the draw, well, the Gophers are really what seems to matter for filling the building. It is what it is. If the Gophers have a bye on Thursday then you may see some pretty sparse crowds until Friday. If the Gophers play Thursday night and lose then you may see some pretty sparse crowds the rest of the weekend.

It is what it is. It's up to the other schools and the WCHA to figure out to fill the building without the Gophers and, frankly, I don't see it happening.

aparch
01-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Welcome to the CCHA Super Six Format.

I wish your attendance the best of luck on Thursday.

The third, fourth, fifth, and sixth seeded teams better hope they don't go three games for their playoff round. Win on Sunday afternoon/evening. Bus home Sunday night, turn around and head to the cities on Wednesday? Uffda.

Driftryder
01-21-2010, 01:25 PM
It's time to stop giving Minnesota the advantage too. Or more importantly, penalizing other teams for not being Minnesota.

Then win and knock us out of it. :p

Dirty
01-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Gopher fans are just as much to blame as others. How is the WCHA or the other teams supposed to fix the problem of fair weather Gopher fans only showing up for game Minnesota plays in.

dggoddard
01-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Seems like they really have a mess on their hands with this format.

If they moved the whole event back a week, it would have several advantages. They could play Friday, Saturday & host Championship game late Sunday afternoon. Surely that could help attendance exponentially.

WCHA teams that make the NCAA's would have 5 extra days to prepare.

Of course WCHA teams that lost in the first round but made the NCAA field could face two weekends off.

ScoobyDoo
01-21-2010, 01:56 PM

If they moved the whole event back a week, it would have several advantages. They could play Friday, Saturday & host Championship game late Sunday afternoon. Surely that could help attendance exponentially.

Of course WCHA teams that lost in the first round but made the NCAA field could face two weekends off.

Huh?

It's exactly the same as the old format. Same days. Same possibility of playing 3 games. Same everything (just 6 teams instead of 5). I'm not comprehending what you're putting out.

ScoobyDoo
01-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Gopher fans are just as much to blame as others. How is the WCHA or the other teams supposed to fix the problem of fair weather Gopher fans only showing up for game Minnesota plays in.

6 teams in instead of 5 should help a little bit.

dggoddard
01-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Huh?

It's exactly the same as the old format. Same days. Same possibility of playing 3 games. Same everything (just 6 teams instead of 5). I'm not comprehending what you're putting out.

Wouldn't attendance be far better if they played 2 games on Friday, 2 games on Saturday & 1 game on Sunday?

Wouldn't WCHA teams fare better in the NCAA's if they had an extra four or five days rest?

goldy_331
01-21-2010, 02:00 PM

Ooh, the whining started early this year! :p

If the schools in the WCHA want to give up the money and TV coverage, they are welcome to vote for that. Since I live in the TC area, it won't impact me much. It'll really hurt the smaller schools' bottom lines though. Go for it, if you want.

goldy_331
01-21-2010, 02:02 PM

Gotta find a different building then. X is booked with MSHSL tourney - the more important one.

dggoddard
01-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Gotta find a different building then. X is booked with MSHSL tourney - the more important one.Gotcha. :)

Never mind.

CollegeHockeyAddict
01-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Eliminate the thrid place game. Play the two play in/quarter final games on friday, the two semi final games on saturday, and the championship game on sunday. The CCHA had a big problem with attendence for the Thursday afternoon game when they had six teams playing.

goldy_331
01-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Eliminate the thrid place game. Play the two play in/quarter final games on friday, the two semi final games on saturday, and the championship game on sunday. The CCHA had a big problem with attendence for the Thursday afternoon game when they had six teams playing.

Hey! No bringing sane, reasonable ideas to this whine session! :mad:

What are you, an engineer or something? :mad:

CollegeHockeyAddict
01-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Hey! No bringing sane, reasonable ideas to this whine session! :mad:

Sorry what was thinking?

What are you, an engineer or something? :mad:

Those dam engineers. I can't stand those people. :D

ScoobyDoo
01-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Wouldn't attendance be far better if they played 2 games on Friday, 2 games on Saturday & 1 game on Sunday?

Wouldn't WCHA teams fare better in the NCAA's if they had an extra four or five days rest?

I say leave it Thursday-Saturday the way it is. It's been extremely successful that way already and the afternoon game on Thursday will probably be just as well attended as the Friday day, and 3rd place game have been anyway.

I don't see why the schedule has to change just because of the CCHA. Apples and Oranges.

lord k
01-21-2010, 04:03 PM
I say keep the championship on saturday. Who wants to stick around for a game on Sunday if your team doens't make it to the championship?

The thursday game lately has been pretty well attended. Having 2 games thursday will probably bring attendance up on that day. Just more of a chance that the teams with fans that travel well will be in them.

Makes the the regular season more important as only 2 teams will get byes.

Overall I think it's a great idea.

blockski
01-21-2010, 05:45 PM
You can ask people to play hooky from work for one day, but asking them to do it two days in a row is pushing it.

Runninwiththedogs
01-21-2010, 06:24 PM
You can ask people to play hooky from work for one day, but asking them to do it two days in a row is pushing it.

Indeed.

However, raise your hand if you have been to a Final Five and NEEDED that Sunday to recover from the weekend.

Tickets will cost more. I would look for that championship game's price to shoot up.