X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2009-10 Part IV: The Boys are Back in Town

Originally posted by Go Puckman View Post
    "I have come to know Seth (Appert) and we talk," Addesa said. "We talk on a somewhat regular basis. I am thrilled things are starting to go in the direction we want them to go. I take a lot of pride in the program and, hopefully, it can get to what it was one day again."

Interesting to know they keep in touch
    I wasn't around for the championship season. But everything I heard about Addesa after that season was negative.
    He seems to have a soft spot in his heart for RPI. That is nice to hear.
    Also, it can't be bad for Appert to pick his brain every once in a while. After all, he did win a National Champioship
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
      I wasn't around for the championship season. But everything I heard about Addesa after that season was negative.
      Also, it can't be bad for Appert to pick his brain every once in a while. After all, he did win a National Champioship
      EHF: I am sure there is two sides to his story. I was around for the 2 exceptional seasons his teams had, both 84 and 85. I can tell you that the excitement was just absolutely impossible to measure with current technology! Even the road games at Princeton felt like RPI home games. Anything approaching that agin would just be fabulous.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Doc and others are right -- equal culpability on both sides. No need to stir that up yet again. It is great to hear that Mike and Seth talk. I'm sure Seth has run into him on the recruiting trail, as Addesa is the founding GM & Coach of the Boston Bulldogs jr. team.

Seth gets it and understands the importance of history and the people that came before him. It will be a fun time at HFH !
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
          Doc and others are right -- equal culpability on both sides. No need to stir that up yet again. It is great to hear that Mike and Seth talk. I'm sure Seth has run into him on the recruiting trail, as Addesa is the founding GM & Coach of the Boston Bulldogs jr. team.

Seth gets it and understands the importance of history and the people that came before him. It will be a fun time at HFH !
          I wasn't trying to bring up anything negative, I was just glad to hear that he is still a fan of the program and will not only attend this tribute, but also take the time to talk with the current coach.
          Seems like a great guy to me.
          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          Benjamin Franklin
          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
          Gary Player

Comment

From what I recall, many people believe Adessa was railroaded by an administration that had it in for him. Oddly similar in some ways to what happened to Ned Harkness at Union a bit more than a decade earlier. Interesting also that he uses "we" when referring to RPI. He obviously still has feelings for the program. To me at least, it is nice to see this come full cirlcle.

Comment

I wasn't trying to bring up anything negative, I was just glad to hear that he is still a fan of the program and will not only attend this tribute, but also take the time to talk with the current coach.
              Seems like a great guy to me.
              No, I didn't think you were...just trying to head off a tangential topic....
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                From what I recall, many people believe Adessa was railroaded by an administration that had it in for him.
                That may be so but he probably left at the right time. I'm not sure Juneau would have stayed around for his Jr. and Sr. years. He was a very tough coach to play for. He burned out a lot of his players.

But that was 20+ years ago and bygones are bygones. I'm glad he's back and will be interested to hear how the reunion goes.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                  That may be so but he probably left at the right time. I'm not sure Juneau would have stayed around for his Jr. and Sr. years. He was a very tough coach to play for. He burned out a lot of his players.

But that was 20+ years ago and bygones are bygones. I'm glad he's back and will be interested to hear how the reunion goes.
                  Those participating in the press conference this afternoon seemed to be enjoying themselves.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post

I would strongly disagree w/ that. He had a penchant for MA players and went out his way to play 2nd father to Carter, DiPronio and Friday when they spent their time here. He did have issues w/ some, Jooris is most notable. Burned them out? I never saw it.
                    Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                      I would strongly disagree w/ that. He had a penchant for MA players and went out his way to play 2nd father to Carter, DiPronio and Friday when they spent their time here. He did have issues w/ some, Jooris is most notable. Burned them out? I never saw it.
                      As with any coach, there were positives and negatives. I just think overall the positives far outweighed the negatives. I had contact with Coach Addesa several times during the 80's and he was always both pleasant and informative. I am sure some have negative things to dwell on-but I don't.
                      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

That tie hurts. With the other teams, we are now 4 points out of the bye and in 6th. With 7 games left, we HAVE to pick up the pace.

Comment

This had a playoff type feel to it tonight. Then the refs lost control of the game and we had that wild 3rd period full of penalties and 5:00 majors and 10:00 misconducts. I actually brought a Siena basketball fan with me tonight cause they "sold out" the TUC tonight with 8,000 fans and he said that he was glad he came to this game instead of going to see the bouncy ball game.
                          Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Also it was good to see the team stick up for D'Amigo after that hit in the 3rd period. He has the target on his back and it is only a matter of time before one of these hits is gonna keep him down. If I was coach I would send tapes of these hits to the league...wait its the ECAC nevermind nothing would be done about it. They are waiting for a kid to be seriously injured before they do something about it. The refs lost control of this game in the 3rd and thats what led to the rumble after the D'Amigo hit.
                            Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                              From what I recall, many people believe Adessa was railroaded by an administration that had it in for him. Oddly similar in some ways to what happened to Ned Harkness at Union a bit more than a decade earlier. Interesting also that he uses "we" when referring to RPI. He obviously still has feelings for the program. To me at least, it is nice to see this come full cirlcle.
                              There was plenty of ammo on both sides. Addesa could be abrasive -- particular when he didn't get his way. The administration had ZERO interest in Mike's desire to move the program to Hockey East and that always stuck in Mike's craw. Also, Mike did his share of monkeying around in the admissions office. Over time, this became a sore spot for the RPI brass. The final incident, I believe, was greatly overblown. It certainly was the opening the brass an opening to part ways with Mike.

I think the fact that so many players from the'85 squad are back in Troy tells us all we need to know about what they think of big Mike.

Comment

Does Ed Weaver do any fact-checking of his stories?

"What a reception," said Ken Hammond, a right winger on the NCAA title team. "It's touching.

Engineers honor ’85 national championship team

Comment

Working...
                                X