This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2009-10 Part IV: The Boys are Back in Town

I had wondered where this site was as I did not bookmark it before. http://www.playoffstatus.com/ecachoc...standings.html. It shows the probability of each team finishing in each position in the standings.

There are other pages with other statistical information like probability of going to a certain point in the playoffs. http://www.playoffstatus.com/ecachoc...easonprob.html
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      And it will help sell potential recruits on RPI. Everything helps.
      And I have to think a more modern setup would be good for an additional 500-1k fans per game. Hey, the fan experience sells tickets. Go to a Siena game sometime (not you obviously, Ralph), and see how much they put into fan atmosphere. Having a videoboard, IIRC, puts us ahead of every other program in the league except for Quinnipiac and Harvard in that element of fan experience.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

I had wondered where this site was as I did not bookmark it before. http://www.playoffstatus.com/ecachoc...standings.html. It shows the probability of each team finishing in each position in the standings
        Nice find, Ralph, although I'm fuzzy on the whole "RPI doesn't control its bye destiny" claim. I used the Sioux Sports predictor (here's another fun link, kids! http://siouxsports.com/hockey/whatif/index.php?confid=4) and tried to make the Engineers lose the bye after winning out, to no avail. Seems to me they do control their own destiny when it comes to the bye.

30% chance of getting the bye? That sounds about right. 66% chance of home ice in the first round? That's at least a good fallback.

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
          Thats too bad, I would like to see a lighting system like the one they have over at Quinnipiac inside the TD Sports Center, just have the brightness turned down a couple notches.
          If RPI only had a school that did lighting research and development....

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
            What Jayson said, plus a little extra...

First off, a sweep this weekend probably isn't enough to make the Engineers a TUC. We're in 31st in RPI. Moving up 6 spots in one weekend wouldn't be unheard of, but it's not terribly likely in a weekend where you're taking on the #55 out of 58 RPI team (Clarkson).

Second, St. Lawrence is 23rd in RPI. That's tenuous, and we're playing them. Beating them could make us 7-7 against TUCs, but it could also make us 6-6 (assuming BU, who's also pretty tenuous, stays above the golden 25 level).

Third, to go right along with what Jayson said, even a 7-7 record against TUCs isn't lighting the Pairwise on fire - and RPI is the most important component of the comparisons since it's the nominal tiebreaker. If the Engineers were a TUC right now (assuming their RPI was about at 25, meaning they don't win that criteria with anyone), they don't win the comparison with anyone (although BU and Minnesota would be close). Simply having .500 record against TUCs can help you win that criteria against lower-end PWR teams, but RPI is the most important, and losing the common opponent criteria (as the Engineers do with BU, SLU, and the Gophers) makes the TUC thing a wash anyway.

Realistically, the Engineers are only making the NCAA tournament if they hoist the Whitelaw Cup in Albany. They could go on a tear that would make them a TUC, but I just don't see them being able to rise high enough, fast enough, to make a splash in the PWR.

Oh... and totally agree on Colgate. Their record against quality teams makes them look like a paper tiger.

well played RC, I'm starting to get it...
            Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Nice find, Ralph, although I'm fuzzy on the whole "RPI doesn't control its bye destiny" claim. I used the Sioux Sports predictor (here's another fun link, kids! http://siouxsports.com/hockey/whatif/index.php?confid=4) and tried to make the Engineers lose the bye after winning out, to no avail. Seems to me they do control their own destiny when it comes to the bye.

30% chance of getting the bye? That sounds about right. 66% chance of home ice in the first round? That's at least a good fallback.
              If we go 8-0, SLU goes 7-1, Union 7-1, Yale 7-1 and Cornell 6-3 then we finish 5th.

After we beat SLU on Friday that 30% figure is going up. The winner of that game is going to be top 4 and the loser not (IMHO).

Comment

And I have to think a more modern setup would be good for an additional 500-1k fans per game. Hey, the fan experience sells tickets. Go to a Siena game sometime (not you obviously, Ralph), and see how much they put into fan atmosphere. Having a videoboard, IIRC, puts us ahead of every other program in the league except for Quinnipiac and Harvard in that element of fan experience.
                TW- Did a piece tonight on the Phantoms re-upping for another year in GF. The owner mentioned having a videoboard as one of improvements they'd want to see before the would commit - long term. The cost estimate mentioned was $250,000 minimum and could be as high as $1mil.
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

I had wondered where this site was as I did not bookmark it before. http://www.playoffstatus.com/ecachoc...standings.html. It shows the probability of each team finishing in each position in the standings.

There are other pages with other statistical information like probability of going to a certain point in the playoffs. http://www.playoffstatus.com/ecachoc...easonprob.html
                  My head hurts.
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                    My head hurts.
                    OK...rook question here...I have been scrambling back and forth since I joined this group to find where the current thread is...is there a sane method to alert me when someone is making a brilliant observation or must I root through the Men's Division I list of threads EVERY time I want to see what's going on?

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                      After we beat SLU on Friday that 30% figure is going up. The winner of that game is going to be top 4 and the loser not (IMHO).
                      After we beat SLU?

Buh.

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                        well played RC, I'm starting to get it...
                        For 3 of the last 4 seasons I've written a weekly feature for DaHuskies.com call "Husky Bracketlogy." Where Jayson does the macro-bracketology, I work in micro-bracketology, that is, as it pertains to St. Cloud State (I didn't do it last season because A) I was slightly busy and B) they weren't in a position to make the tournament).

Chomping at the bit to start an "Engineer Bracketology" at Without A Peer.

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
                          OK...rook question here...I have been scrambling back and forth since I joined this group to find where the current thread is...is there a sane method to alert me when someone is making a brilliant observation or must I root through the Men's Division I list of threads EVERY time I want to see what's going on?
                          Click "Thread Tools" at the top of the page when you have a thread open and click Subscribe. Then you can go to your User CP and it will show any of your subscribed threads with unread messages.
                          APBWiki

Comment

Record article by Ed Weaver about RPI's expectations for the rest of the season http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...4581507589.txt. An article about Jerry D'Amigo http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...f232475558.txt.
                            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-04-2010, 01:12 AM.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

They're both great articles. Weaver and Schott are definitely the go-to writers in the area for hockey coverage.

Record article by Ed Weaver about RPI's expectations for the rest of the season http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...4581507589.txt.
                              "Win some, lose some" will not advance us up the standings and Friday's game will be a big benchmark to assess the team's progress.

Also, "As for the interference call on RPI defenseman Peter Merth, which put RPI two men down for 1:52 entering overtime (Brown scored 43 seconds later), think of the worst calls (hockey, any sport) you’ve seen in your lifetime. Then add this won (sic) among them."

A promising stat that I hope is indicative of upcoming success: "Three of those eight [goals], though, have come in the six games since he’s returned from the World Juniors."

And, more proof that Jerry is a class act: “RPI is my team right now and that’s my focus. I’m going to give my best every night to help us win, do my best in practice every day to help us win,” and "I hope they want me to develop here as much as I can and here, I’m going to play a lot more.”
                              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Apparently Erick James '99 decided to forgo hockey and mechanical engineering and become a "comedian, actor, magician, and improv artist". He's playing Revolution Hall on 2/26.

Comment

Working...
                                X