Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bemidji State Vs UMD Battle Of Northern MN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bemidji State Vs UMD Battle Of Northern MN!

I'm looking forward to this series. Should be a good battle between two of the top teams in Minnesota! UMD is doing awesome right now and is on a roll, but I'm hoping that Bemidji State can give them a fight and hopefully hand them a sweep. I understand that tickets are getting pretty hard to find for both games which will make it awesome in both the Glas and the DECC. This series is going to be Great!!! GO BEAVERS!!!

Re: Bemidji State Vs UMD Battle Of Northern MN!

Bulldog fans are looking forward to this weekend as well. There are two burning questions for me:

1) Can the Dogs continue to roll? 4 straight wins is the best streak this season. They have shown some great resiliency by not letting opposing goals keep them off their game. The sweep over the Gophers at Mariucci comes to mind, UMD was down 2 goals to start each game.

2) Are the Beavers as good as their record shows? They have the second best record in the nation, but have only played the 37th strongest schedule. I've got news for ya, we're not Niagra.

How good is Bakala? Does he seem like an elite goaltender or are his stats the result of "team D"? Also, how good is Matt Read? He's undrafted but has some great stats. What other scoring threats does Bemidji have? Finally, any injuries currently plaguing the Beavers? I know Kyle Schmidt will be out for the Bulldogs this weekend with a pinched nerve.
    University of Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs
    2007 Alumni
    WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1984, 1985, 1993
    WCHA Tournament Champions: 1984, 1985, 2009
    NCAA Appearances: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1993, 2004, 2009, 2011
    Frozen Four Appearances: 1984, 1985, 2004, 2011
    National Champions: 2011

Comment

I can't answer your questions as well as others who frequent this site could but I can say that Matt Read is one of those premier players whom whenever he touches the puck you know it is in very capable hands. He has finesse, skills and a wicked shot. Its truly a pleasure to watch his puck handling skills and ability. One of the things I like best about watching him is that he isn't a puck hog always trying to make the play himself. He is truly hobey baker material.

thats just my thoughts.

It will be nice to see two new arenas for this tournament next year. The DECC will be completed by next year also right?

Comment

Originally posted by true2BSU View Post
        It will be nice to see two new arenas for this tournament next year. The DECC will be completed by next year also right?
        tNew DECC is set to open ~ December 30 (IIRC) 2010, but it won't matter re: BSU/UMD, as these two teams only meet in Bemidji in October next year...
        Originally posted by UMDSimmerdown View Post
        I've got news for ya, we're not Niagra.
        And you're not then #1 Miami either Might I suggest you read Miami fans thoughts going into that weekend before under-estimating BSU?
        Last edited by moose97; 01-20-2010, 07:07 PM.
        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
        B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
        CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
        ECAC:
        HEA: UMass
        NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
        Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by UMDSimmerdown View Post

How good is Bakala? Does he seem like an elite goaltender or are his stats the result of "team D"? Also, how good is Matt Read? He's undrafted but has some great stats. What other scoring threats does Bemidji have? Finally, any injuries currently plaguing the Beavers? I know Kyle Schmidt will be out for the Bulldogs this weekend with a pinched nerve.
          As far as I know the only injury is Jake Areshenko with a high ankle sprain but he's probably going to be back this week,not sure. Dan Bakala has impressed me quite a bit this year for it being his first year. He has filled in nicely for Matt Dalton. He plays very smart and is a solid goaltender, yes part of every goaltenders success is partly due to their D, but I wouldn't doubt by the time he graduates he'll probably have a pro contract like the last two from Bemidji. Matt Read is a very strong team leader and a well respected player. He's fast and smart with the puck. Two guys probably just as fast as Read are Jordan George and Chris McKelvie. I thought Last Saturday Brance Orban filled in pretty nicely for Jordan George with two goals in his first game for the Beavers!

Comment

Shouldn't this thread be renamed to "Battle Between Cindy And Oliver"?
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Injury report for beavers is that the only one that is ruled out so far is shea walters. As for matt read he might play in a bad league but he is a truely magical hockey player who will make alot of money in the game when he is done. Dan Bakala is a decent tender at best but he has a great defense that helps out alot also the poor competition helps his stats because in his two starts against WCHA teams he has let up 9 goals, he will be replaced by jase weslowsky, the st. cloud state transfer, next year. Should be a great series and i am looking forward to it.

2009 Frozen Four!

2010 3-peat CHA Regular Season Champs!

Comment

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/event/...43/group/home/

There's a link to the video interviews of BSU players Kyle Hardwick, Dan MacIntyre and Brance Orban talking about this weekend's series with the UMD.

Ran into the AD earlier and he said very few tickets are left for the game and he's expecting a sellout.

-Eric

Comment

Looking forward to this series also. The wife and I are pawning the little one off on Grandma (okay, not much arm twisting there) so we can make the trip over to Duluth for the Saturday game. One question though....

What is the weather forcast for Saturday up that way (Bemidji and Duluth)? Here around Alexandria, they are talking we could get some nasty weather starting Friday night and lasting into Sunday. We are staying at The Suites in Canal Park, and they have a 24 hour cancellation policy.

I think Matt Read will be gone after this year (fingers crossed he comes back). He was in the Tampa Bay camp over the summer, and really impressed a lot of people. From what I heard (and this is all second and third hand), the contract offers he got were not to his liking, so he came back to Bemidji, and we are happy to have him.

Dan Bakala has been more than a capable goaltender for BSU. He is not flashy, just plays sound in net. He does have a very good defense in front of him, so if the shot gets through, it is usually one he can see the whole way. I was very disappointed with the play of the team last Friday, jumping out to a 2-0 lead, only to allow Niagara to run it up to 6-2 before mounting a comeback. That should not, and cannot, happen if this team is going to be one of the "elite" in college hockey.

If they get back to playing Beaver Hockey, I think this team could get a game from Duluth, if they play like they did against Niagara, it could be a long weekend. All in all, it is going to be a great series, and the Glas will be filled to the rafters!
                  Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                  FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                  NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                  NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                  NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                  NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                  Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                  Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Bemidji forecast:
                    http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...Select=WEATHER

Friday
                    Cloudy. Highs 30 to 35. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Friday Night
                    Cloudy. Chance of light freezing rain or light snow and light sleet in the evening...then light freezing rain or light snow and light sleet likely after midnight. Lows in the mid 20s. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.
                    snow

Saturday
                    Light freezing rain or light snow and light sleet in the morning...then snow in the afternoon. Highs 30 to 35. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.

Saturday Night
                    Snow likely. Lows in the mid 20s.

Sunday
                    Cloudy. Chance of snow. Highs 30 to 35.
                    Duluth:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...Select=WEATHER

Friday
                    Mostly cloudy. Highs 27 to 32. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Friday Night
                    Cloudy. A 50 percent chance of freezing rain... snow and sleet after midnight. Lows 20 to 25. Southeast winds 15 to 20 mph.

Saturday
                    Cloudy. A chance of freezing rain...snow and sleet in the morning...then freezing rain with snow and sleet likely in the afternoon. Highs 30 to 35. East winds 15 to 20 mph.

Saturday Night
                    Breezy...snow...rain likely and a slight chance of light freezing rain. Lows 28 to 33. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Sunday
                    Breezy. Light rain or snow likely. Highs 30 to 35. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Sunday Night
                    Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of light snow. Lows 18 to 23.
                    Winter Storm Watch for Bemidji is in effect for the weekend
                    http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/event/.../id/100015156/

Parts of northwest Minnesota, including the Bemidji area, are under a winter storm watch through the weekend.

The National Weather Service in Grand Forks says a "major winter storm" will affect the region into early Monday.

The storm system will spread snow, sleet and freezing rain into eastern North Dakota and western Minnesota Friday night and Saturday, with precipitation changing entirely to snow by Saturday night. Six inches or more of new snow is possible, the weather service says.

Northerly winds will increase, causing blowing and drifting snow Sunday through Sunday night. The snow is expected to end early Monday.

Ice could be the first major problem. Ice accumulations of up to one-fourth of an inch are possible Friday night into early Saturday.

From WDIO weather this morning:
                    http://www.wdio.com/article/10336/

Winter storm "Chas" is heading our way and is bringing a big mess for Saturday and Sunday. We'll start off pretty slow with some light snow Friday night into Saturday, but conditions will deteriorate through the day. The worst of the storm should come late Saturday into early Sunday with a wintry mix and possibly some freezing rain. This could cause some icing on the roadways making travel a bit tricky. Several inches of snow could stack on top of it as the next workweek heads in with more cold air.
                    Last edited by thebrain; 01-21-2010, 09:51 AM.

Comment

I have heard it's suppose to be coming earlier than expected so we'll see. Hopefully the storm isn't too bad, and hopefully everyone traveling has a safe trip, I have about 15 miles to go for the Bemidji game so I should make it there and the trip to Duluth might not be the best but we'll be there for sure! But heck this is Hockey country! Lets not let the weather get in the way. LETS PLAY BEAVER HOCKEY.

Comment

Every weekend I am hoping for at least a split. Anything more I will be happy. BSU plays UMD tough every year. Hoping to continue our win streak however.
                        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Do they still have the Babe the Blue Ox trophy?

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                            Do they still have the Babe the Blue Ox trophy?
                            I believe they do...

I see a split this weekend, but nothing less for tDogs. If we come out and play hard, I think we will be alright. Would be nice to get a win in Bemidji on Friday- it's something we haven't done since our run to the Frozen Four in 2004!

Comment

Tomorrow is officially a sell-out as Pam Papp (who runs the ticket office at BSU) told me directly that she has absolutly no tickets available for the game at the Glas tomorrow...
                              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                              B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                              CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                              ECAC:
                              HEA: UMass
                              NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                              Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Working...
                              X