Records in futility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Records in futility

Mostlly, I am lazy, which is why I decided to throw this out to everyone and see if anyone has the answer of the top of their heads.

Does anyone know the record for most consecutive losses in D-III? How about winless streak?

I ask this thinking that Lebanon Valley HAS to be approaching one or both of these records with 52 consecutive losses and 61 straight games without a win.

I'm not trying to turn this into a LV bashing session, but am certainly intrigued to know whether another team has experienced this level of futility in the past.
    Originally posted by zamboney
    the licence plate of the truck that just ran you over is Pioneerfan11..get well soon.
    2010-2011 Last Person Standing champion

Re: Records in futility

I don't know the record (I'm going to look, though), but I just have to say:

I guess I always took for granted that LVC was just plain bad. Now that I look at it, though, switching to the ECAC-W was probably the worst move they've ever made.

In 03-04, their last season in the Northeast, they were 18-8-0

Since then, they are 10-110-3, with the number of losses increasing every year.
    They are 1-70-1 in ECAC-W conference games, with 1 win over Neumann (and one OOC win over Neumann that same year) and 1 tie to Hobart.

I know that the ECAC-W is their only option, but I seriously think they got screwed in that deal...
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Well it was kind of their choice.

Losing yingling also hurt them big time, he was pretty much their all-everything

edit: in 110 games he had 111 goals and 99 assists for 210 points. He graduated after the 02-03 season. Also graduating were two players
      who had 111 and 99 pts, which is a good career by most standards. Losing those two plus someone who put up their *combined* points is uh not good for a program.
      Last edited by one_to7; 01-19-2010, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by one_to7 View Post
        Well it was kind of their choice.

Losing yingling also hurt them big time, he was pretty much their all-everything
        I heard they were kind of forced out because they were the odd duck out with the long travel and the rest of the ECAC NE teams for the most part have limited budgets and don't make the same commitment to D-III hockey as other conferences do.

I agree though that the Ying-Ling loss really hurt. He was a good player and they definitely miss him.

I hope LVC keeps the program going though and judging from results they have been improving. Honestly, I hope they can make the same turnaround Neumann did because the conference needs them and it would be a shame if the Hershey Park Arena lost it's main tenant. Once again, if you've never been to that rink. You really need to do make a trip down there sometime.

Try and do it the same weekend the Hershey Bears are playing so you can catch both games. It would be a great hockey trip for any fan of the game.

The Hershey Park Arena is everything that's right about old-time hockey.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Well, I looked it up, and according to The D-III record book for 09-10 (page 11), it looks like there will be a slight revision for next year's.

OVERALL LOSING STREAK
          50—Wentworth Inst., Nov. 4, 1994-Jan. 15, 1997
          OVERALL WINLESS STREAK
          50—Wentworth Inst., Nov. 4, 1994-Jan. 15, 1997

HOME LOSING STREAK
          32—Wentworth Inst., Nov. 17, 1993-Jan. 15, 1997
          But, it should also be noted that the record book doesn't include last year's 0-25-0, in this list:

FEWEST WINS
          0—Wentworth Inst. (0-19-0), 1996; Wentworth Inst.
          (0-22-0), 1995

EDIT: Of course, that record book is not 100% accurate, despite its official nature. Looking at almost every list on page 12, it appears as though this never happened. (It should be the record for single-game assists, at 45, with 9 more than Adrian's record of 36... I call foul play!)
          Last edited by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh; 01-19-2010, 12:21 PM.
          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23

Comment

I think to answer the thread's question, the University of Scranton might qualify... though for the latter several years, they basically a club-based schedule:

http://www.uscho.com/stats/teamYxY.p.../gender,m.html

Comment

I work with a guy that had a scholarship to play goalie at BU. He blew out his knee but still plays in pick up leagues and says that a couple of the guys he plays with are in college. I believe the word he used to describe them was "phenomenal". When he told me they played on LVC, I looked at him like he was crazy. He seemed utterly shocked when I told him they haven't won a game in the last 2 or 3 seasons.

Based on his analysis (and since he's forgotten more about hockey than I'll ever know) and the way LVC has played as of late, I wouldn't be surprised to see them start putting some numbers in the W column. Not many, but at this point 1 would be something for the program.
              Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
              08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
              2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

A quick check of this years record shows that 6 of their losses were by 2 goals or less, and they have games remaining against some of those teams, so there is hope that they can get a win before the season is done.
                Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                  I don't know the record (I'm going to look, though), but I just have to say:

I guess I always took for granted that LVC was just plain bad. Now that I look at it, though, switching to the ECAC-W was probably the worst move they've ever made.

In 03-04, their last season in the Northeast, they were 18-8-0

Since then, they are 10-110-3, with the number of losses increasing every year.
                  They are 1-70-1 in ECAC-W conference games, with 1 win over Neumann (and one OOC win over Neumann that same year) and 1 tie to Hobart.

I know that the ECAC-W is their only option, but I seriously think they got screwed in that deal...
                  They have also played a few ECAC NE teams the past 3-4 years and haven't beat them either: UMD, Nichols, Becker, WNEC all have wins against LVC so i don't know how well they would do in the northeast now?? They were good back in early 2000's!!

Comment

LVC's coach resigned today, one of their assistants will be serving as interim coach.

Comment

Originally posted by joeyc3402 View Post
                      I think to answer the thread's question, the University of Scranton might qualify... though for the latter several years, they basically a club-based schedule:

http://www.uscho.com/stats/teamYxY.p.../gender,m.html
                      Scranton's ACHA D1 team went 6-10-1 this season.
                      Siena College's ACHA D2 team played them twice this year. We were their one tie, and one of their 10 losses.
                      Fitzgerald is still their Head Coach. I was the official scorer for the game here at Siena... and he has horrible handwriting. Completely illegible.

Scranton's ACHA D2 team went 16-2-1 this season
                      They were the top vote-getter outside of the top 15 at the regular season's end, so they saw no postseason action. SOS hurts bigtime.

And yes, I am 100% positive we played the D1 Team, which used to be their NCAA DIII team. That game was a joke. We manhandled them, putting up (I believe, and I was also shot counter) 63 SOGs and winning 6-3.

I was very saddened to see a former DIII team suffering so much.
                      Plattsburgh CARDINALS

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        It would be a shame if the Hershey Park Arena lost it's main tenant. Once again, if you've never been to that rink. You really need to do make a trip down there sometime.

Try and do it the same weekend the Hershey Bears are playing so you can catch both games. It would be a great hockey trip for any fan of the game.

The Hershey Park Arena is everything that's right about old-time hockey.
                        Since we're bringing this thread back from the dead, I want to point out that, despite me disagreeing with almost everything Derek ever says ever, this post is freaking spot on. I highly recommend sneaking to the upper levels and going to the top level of the stands. Then imagine being there when Wilt Chamberlain put up 100 (without a three point line!)
                        2010 D-III NCAA Tournament Pick'em Champion (Perfect Bracket)
                        2008-09 USCHO MIAC Correspondent
                        2007-09 WGSU Geneseo Play-by-play announcer
                        Bracketologist For That Other Site

Comment

Siena College's ACHA D2 team played them twice this year. We were their one tie, and one of their 10 losses.
                          Fitzgerald is still their Head Coach. I was the official scorer for the game here at Siena... and he has horrible handwriting. Completely illegible.

They were the top vote-getter outside of the top 15 at the regular season's end, so they saw no postseason action. SOS hurts bigtime.

And yes, I am 100% positive we played the D1 Team, which used to be their NCAA DIII team. That game was a joke. We manhandled them, putting up (I believe, and I was also shot counter) 63 SOGs and winning 6-3.

Complete joke. The University has also removed the Ice Hockey team from their website and buried them in the Club section of the website. Not sure what is going on ...

Comment

Cards, you go to Siena? And you're going to Lake Placid? Hmmmm, carpool possible?

Comment

Working...
                            X