CC vs. UAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CC vs. UAA

Well...what do you all think? CC comes in reeling a bit in their last six games, but picked up an important win against Wisconsin last Saturday at home. Anchorage returns home following an impressive road sweep of Tech [Note: for those disputing whether the sweep is "impressive" or not, IMO ALL road sweeps in the WCHA are impressive] and two very competitive series against SCSU and Denver. On television it appeared that UAA controlled the play against Denver quite a bit especially on Friday Night.

UAA's physical and defensive style of play always seems to give CC trouble and they are particularly tough to beat at home. Realistically--I think we're looking at a split, but I would love to see the Tigers find a way to squeeze out 3-4 points to help them in the final standings.
    Last edited by JoeBair; 01-17-2010, 03:17 PM.

Re: CC vs. UAA

Originally posted by JoeBair View Post
    Well...what do you all think? CC comes in reeling a bit in their last six games, but picked up an important win against Wisconsin last Saturday at home. Anchorage returns home following an impressive road sweep of Tech [Note: for those disputing whether the sweep is "impressive" or not, IMO ALL road sweeps in the WCHA are impressive] and two very competitive series against SCSU and Denver. On television it appeared that UAA controlled the play against Denver quite a bit especially on Friday Night.

UAA's physical and defensive style of play always seems to give CC trouble and they are particularly tough to beat at home. Realistically--I think we're looking at a split, but I would love to see the Tigers find a way to squeeze out 3-4 points to help them in the final standings.
    The Seawolves are playing pretty good even with some key players out. I think it will be a good series. If the Seawolves play their game and put some bugs on the windshield early and often, I like our chances.
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBair View Post
      UAA seems to playing very good hockey right now and CC is not. That may have the makings of 3 points or even a sweep by UAA, but I am hoping for at least a 3 point weekend from the Tigers. There's no margin for error when it comes to the WCHA standings or the PWR, so they need any wins they can muster right now.
      Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
      -dggoddard

Comment

Where is this series being played? I am definitely going to watch this series if possible. UAA outscored DU overall in the combined 4 games this season. If the series is played on NHL sized ice, I give the Seawolves a big advantage (Sully is NHL sized ice, right? -- I've been there, I should know this. ). Olympic ice will give CC more room to utilize it's speed.

Another interesting facet to this series is that these two teams do not really like each other. Regardless of the size of ice, expect UAA to bring it physically to the Tigers.
        DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
        sigpic
        WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by co14ers View Post
          Another interesting facet to this series is that these two teams do not really like each other.
          Actually it is not the teams that don't like each other it is the fans. Suze doesn't like CC and we CC fans don't like Donald.

Comment

Originally posted by co14ers View Post
            Where is this series being played? I am definitely going to watch this series if possible. UAA outscored DU overall in the combined 4 games this season. If the series is played on NHL sized ice, I give the Seawolves a big advantage (Sully is NHL sized ice, right? -- I've been there, I should know this. ). Olympic ice will give CC more room to utilize it's speed.

Another interesting facet to this series is that these two teams do not really like each other. Regardless of the size of ice, expect UAA to bring it physically to the Tigers.
            No, UAA does not play on a NHL sized rink. It seems like for the past few years, UAA showed they were capable of playing good hockey against good teams, then they would blow against teams under them in the standings.

This year they have played well against good teams (DU, CC, UND), and have also taken 6 of 8 points from the Mankato/Tech series. That is a good sign. If UAA plays their game, play with passion, and have solid goaltending, they are capable of getting 3-4 points this weekend. Hopefully there will be more fans in the stands.

UAA does practice on a smaller ice sheet, maybe that is what you were thinking about Todd. There is a definite advantage to schools that practice on campus, on the same ice they play on.
            Last edited by Suze; 01-17-2010, 06:41 PM.
            Originally Posted by aparch
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by dave29 View Post
              Actually it is not the teams that don't like each other it is the fans. Suze doesn't like CC and we CC fans don't like Donald.
              Donald among others.
              Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
              -dggoddard

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                The Seawolves are playing pretty good even with some key players out. I think it will be a good series. If the Seawolves play their game and put some bugs on the windshield early and often, I like our chances.
                You mean they have bugs in Alaska?
                World Arena North (aka Magness Arena on the campus of Denver State University) where the Colorado College Tigers are 17-11-5 all time against the Metro State Pioneers. Thank you Denver Roadrunners for building a second home for CC!!

World Arena North lives on!! Go Tigers!!

CC Tiger fans join us at: http://cctigerhockey.yuku.com

Comment

Good news for Tiger fans. Both games are televised on the CW network in Colorado Springs starting at 9 pm mountain time.

Oh, and I got my $25.00 ticket last night to eat dinner with all the CC players on Sunday, 31 Jan. Which CC players should I invite to sit with me at our table this year? Last year it was Richard Bachman.

For those that may not know, this will be the fourth annual dinner with the players in which only 50 tickets are sold for the event. 50 fans, 28 players, fun time!!

Tigers sweep the Seawolves:

Friday, 5-2
                  Saturday, 4-3

Go CC!!
                  World Arena North (aka Magness Arena on the campus of Denver State University) where the Colorado College Tigers are 17-11-5 all time against the Metro State Pioneers. Thank you Denver Roadrunners for building a second home for CC!!

Comment

Originally posted by CCtig View Post
                    Which CC players should I invite to sit with me at our table this year?
                    Go with Rapuzzi since he is from Anchorage.

Comment

Originally posted by CCtig View Post
                      You mean they have bugs in Alaska?
                      We do, but they hibernate and only come out to make their way to the Sullivan Arena when UAA's opponents come to town. There have been some really smooshed bugs at the Sully this winter. And we see them in many differet colors too, but this weekend the bugs will be wearing basic black.
                      Last edited by Suze; 01-18-2010, 10:36 AM.
                      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Is UAA healthy? I assume that they are at least reasonably healthy, given the great results from last weekend.

CC is without Andreas Vlassopolous and Matt Overman. William Rapuzzi didn't play on Saturday, but I'm not sure if that was due to injury or just an attempt to get some other guys in the lineup. Vlassopolous had a season ending injury right at the beginning of the year. Overman has just been out a few games - I'm not sure what his injury is. He had been centering Bill Sweatt's line. There's no telling what the lines will look like this weekend. They had been mostly stable with a few guys coming in and out of the lineup each game. However, Owens totally changed up the lines for Saturday and I believe they had the most even strength goals of any game this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see them stay somewhat similar to Saturdays lines, especially the Hall/McMillin/Johnson line. If I remember correctly they had 3 goals and were each +3. Sweatt/Schwartz/Hamburg also looked good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                          Is UAA healthy? I assume that they are at least reasonably healthy, given the great results from last weekend.

CC is without Andreas Vlassopolous and Matt Overman. William Rapuzzi didn't play on Saturday, but I'm not sure if that was due to injury or just an attempt to get some other guys in the lineup. Vlassopolous had a season ending injury right at the beginning of the year. Overman has just been out a few games - I'm not sure what his injury is. He had been centering Bill Sweatt's line. There's no telling what the lines will look like this weekend. They had been mostly stable with a few guys coming in and out of the lineup each game. However, Owens totally changed up the lines for Saturday and I believe they had the most even strength goals of any game this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see them stay somewhat similar to Saturdays lines, especially the Hall/McMillin/Johnson line. If I remember correctly they had 3 goals and were each +3. Sweatt/Schwartz/Hamburg also looked good to me.
                          I spoke with Matt Overman after the game Saturday night and he said he would be out at least another two weeks. Did not ask him what his injury is.

Go Tigers!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post

No, UAA is not healthy. Vidmar, Baldwin and Lunden are out with injuries. Crowell is still serving a 3 game suspension that ends after this Fridays game. Tuton also missed the Friday Tech game from a suspension that happened during the DU game. UAA played with only five defensemen last weekend!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

This weekends battle against AA Will be Epic... I think the tigers will walk away with at least 2 points but I am leaning twoards 3... AA defensive style grinds anybody game to make then almost play on pure player ability.

Good luck, it will be a good series to see on TV..

Also Tig, How would one go about getting a meal ticket?

Esox
                              ESOX
                              Badger Fan at heart, but its hard not to love the Sioux...

A friend will bail you out of jail.
                              A true friend will be sitting next to you in Jail.
                              A teamate will open the door of the cop car so you don't go to jail.

Freshman demands... I Want:
                              to go toe 2 toe W/ Ron Hextall in his prime..
                              to watch the 1980 National champioship game live..
                              Dave haxstall to smile..
                              to shoot on Ed Belfour in his prime...
                              the annual water polo game back, and make it real this time...

Comment

Working...
                              X