Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NMU @ Nebraska-Omaha: One Last, Final, Last Fish...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMU @ Nebraska-Omaha: One Last, Final, Last Fish...

And so Northern visits the Mavericks for one last time in CCHA play... It's been a good run, and I'm sure I am not alone in being sad to see the Beefy Women from Aromaha leaving the CCHA

Thoughts?
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Re: NMU @ Nebraska-Omaha: One Last, Final, Last Fish...

I'm sad I never made the trip to see the 'Cats play in Omaha.

As for the games, we know we can handle them... it's just going to depend on which team we get. We've looked pretty consistent lately, so I'm a higher level of cautiously optimistic than usual.
    Always a Wildcat...
    Originally posted by Kepler
    If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

I'm maing my first (and probably only) trip to Omaha to watch NMU play. If anyone else is making the trip, we should meet up and I'll buy you a beer. Also, if anyone would want to pregame, we're staying at the Hilton which is connected to the Qwest Center by a skywalk. It would be very convenient.

Comment

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"

I'm hoping Walt and Dean Blais can schedule these two teams as non-conference games. It's turned into a mini-rivalry with pretty good fan support by both sides.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Good story about an Omaha recruit last night. Sad but nice touch...

Published Jan 16, 2010
          Published Saturday January 16, 2010

USHL: Amidst tragedy, White captivates Civic crowd with performance
          By Steve Beideck
          WORLD-HERALD CORRESPONDENT

A franchise record crowd Saturday night helped the Omaha Lancers to a 4-1 victory over the Lincoln Stars in a way few of the 7,178 at Civic Auditorium realized.

Less than two hours before the scheduled start of the game between the United States Hockey League rivals, Omaha forward Matt White found out that his father Ron had unexpectedly passed away.

Lancers coach Bliss Littler said the Whittier, Calif., native got the phone call as he was arriving at the rink for the game that started 30 minutes late because so many people were still in line waiting to purchase tickets.

Tears were still rolling down Littler's cheeks as he spoke about the emotional evening and that one of his best players and the leading scorer in the USHL still wanted to suit up and play. The coach had a one-word response to that request.

“Shocked,” Littler said.

Not only did the UNO recruit play, he scored the first and last goals of the game and had an assist.

“He sat in the office when he found out and said he wanted to play,” Littler said. “I just told him I wanted him to skate warm-ups and see how he felt, and I certainly wasn't going to stop him.”

Littler said he didn't have any details about what happened and wasn't sure if White would suit up for today's 5:05 p.m. game against Cedar Rapids.

“We'll fly him home whenever he's ready,” Littler said.

White's teammates mobbed him after he broke the scoreless tie and gave the crowd a reason to cheer midway through the second period.

White took a perfect pass down the ice from Erik Haula that created Omaha's first breakaway opportunity. White found another gear and stayed one step ahead of the Lincoln defender, who was fast approaching to his right.

With just enough room to fake a shot to the left, White then moved the puck in front of Lincoln goaltender Matt Green and slapped it past him on the right with 10:41 left before the second intermission.

The 25-7-2 Lancers made it 2-0 less than six minutes later when Dakota Eveland pushed the puck between Green's legs. Green nearly made the stop, but the puck dribbled across the goal line.

Omaha went ahead 3-0 on Anthony Hamburg's third goal of the season early in the third period. Omaha goalie Jeff Teglia just missed recording his second shutout when Brodie Reid scored on an extra attacker rush with 3:10 remaining in the game.

White then finished the scoring with five seconds remaining on an empty net shot before returning with his teammates and coaches to the locker room after a bittersweet victory.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            And so Northern visits the Mavericks for one last time in CCHA play... It's been a good run, and I'm sure I am not alone in being sad to see the Beefy Women from Aromaha leaving the CCHA

Thoughts?
            Sorry to be an idiot, but what's going on with Nebraska? I wasn't aware they were leaving.
            “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
            – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
            when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

Originally posted by devildog View Post
              Sorry to be an idiot, but what's going on with Nebraska? I wasn't aware they were leaving.
              UNO is moving to the WCHA.
              Always a Wildcat...
              Originally posted by Kepler
              If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

It is with excitement and many fond memories that myself and several other NMU Puckheads make our venture to Omaha later this week. Now that Tootsie Roll week is over in Marquette it is time to look ahead to what appears to be a fantastic farewell to your fine city.

My memories of this rivalry will last a lifetime and I know that this will not be my last or NMU's last trip West along that dark and lonely highway East of Omaha!!!

Committments thus far from past and present Puckeheads include, Lujo, Carriejo, CuppaJo (from California), myself and possibly Hojo (from New Mexico). There are also a smattering of other NMU faithful who will make the long trek as word has spread that it is a series not to miss and has long been worth the effort of traveling.

It is my pleasure also to be traveling with The Spirit Phone and we will proudly showcase it during the weekend.

We arrive on Friday and don't leave until Monday. The weekend should be filled with tons of excitement, shared fanatasism and of course comradarie between two very faithful and committed fanbases.

Tomorrow will start my view on the series and the many friendships I have shared and hope to continue well into the future.

Comment

The following is the chronological chain of events which have made this series so much fun for the last decade. Credit for compiling the following list of events in the NMU vs. UNO series goes to NoClu (aka Steve Coppard). With help from others he captures a fine history between our schools. I hope you enjoy! I will try to add my thoughts as we draw nearer the last chapter. My comments are highlighted throughout the post.

The NMU/UNO Spirit Phone Trophy

A chronological history of the trophy.

The Spirit Phone (24” Megaphone adorned with UNO an NMU memorabilia) is a traveling trophy created through the bonds of friendship and spirited competition between the University of Nebraska Omaha and Northern Michigan University hockey fans. This traveling trophy has been established as symbol of what is good about college sports today.

A spirited camaraderie has developed between the fans of UNO and NMU. Our schools share many similarities, smaller state school, many commuters, Hockey is the only D-1 sport at each of the schools. For the most part, each stands in the shadow of the larger state school(s). On the ice, NMU currently leads with a record of 16-14-2.

Our teams’ competitive relationship on the ice has helped shape a constructive, spirited and competitive bond off of the ice. Through the events recorded below, and many that are better off left unsaid, our fans have developed a genuine appreciation of one another. Our relationship is grounded in a love for college hockey, Spirited (some would say Fanatic) devotion to our teams and a sense of Sportsmanship.

The history between UNO and NMU that inspired the creation of the Spirit Phone…

1999-2000 Season
                  •October 30, 1999—UNO rallies from a 3-1 deficit at Northern Michigan to gain a tie and their first ever point in the CCHA. NMU Students dressed as “hillbillies” threw corn stalks onto the ice (prior to UNO tieing the game.
                  •March 12, 2000—The Mavericks win their first playoff series by defeating Northern Michigan 2-1 in the first round of their first CCHA playoff series. The victory essentially eliminates NMU from making back to back trips to the NCAA tourney. The Puckheads host Whooter (aka Joel Mack) and he is the first Maverick to befriend The NMU Puckheads. Story has it there is still a shot of Jack Daniels on the bar at The Wooden Nickel with his name on it.•NMU “Puckhead” James Kolky (aka, Kujo) makes trip to the CCHA Finals at the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit Michigan. Kujo cheers with UNO fans during their commanding win over highly rated University of Michigan (aka Weasels). That was a GREAT St. Patrick’s Day. Kujo in doing so endears himself to UNO faithful forever and begins what turns out to be a fine Joe Louis Arena tradition of our schools rootinng for each other and against the Evil Empires.2000-2001 Season
                  •January 19, 20, 2001—NMU Puckheads make their first trip to Omaha. NMU looses 2 games (the second in OT) to the Mavericks. NMU Puckhead “the Big Guy” strips off his shirt and does a gargantuan belly splash against the glass, shocking some Maverick fans and inspiring others… Tall tails of the incident were told over cold beverages in the Old Market after the game. The Big Guy even made the Omaha World Herald as they commented on the biggest ovation of the evening was for an NMU fan who removed his sweater and pressed his ample gut up against the ringside glass, Dan Ellis was quoted as saying, "I didn't see him but from what I understand, he was a Big Guy)." The Big Guy, Kujo and I made the original trip and it was well worth the effort even after being swept. We were blessed to have met so many fantastic people of Omaha and were thrilled to spend quality time with the likes of Tommy Husker (whatever happened to him?), MavRick, Puckhead, etc...After closing down Old Chicago we accept an invite and show up at Greg Zanon and Kyle O'keefe's house in West Omaha where The Big Guy gives Dan Ellis an up close show in person. While shocked that we actually showed up, UNO's team warmed up to us and we had a great time. We have been Ellis and Zanon fans since.
                  2001-2002 Season
                  •March, 2002: Though the Mavericks are knocked out of the playoffs by Notre Dame, a number of fans make the trip to the CCHA finals in Detroit. NMU player parents and fans are exceedingly friendly. Puckhead Mojo invites many to pre-game, post-game and during game parties. UNO Fan’s help cheer NMU to victory against Notre Dame (Pull your MORGAN chant perfected during this game). Megaphone loaned to UNO fan NoClu for use during game…Coach Comley’s final game at NMU before moving to Michigan State. Historical moments captured on film as very uncomfortable Coach Comley poses with Puckheads and UNO Mav fans late that evening in the Renaissance Center Lounge. Megaphone may or may not be visible in this picture. The UNO supporters along with NMU Puckheads and groupies visit an obscure Mexican bar in Greektown and encounter half of the Alaska Fairbanks hockey team. While sharing pitchers of beer both NMU and UAF learn that each is eliminated from NCAA contention and yet the party continues into the wee hours of the morning.
                  •March 17, 2002. NMU Megaphone kidnapped and transported to Omaha by NoClu. The future trophy makes its way to Omaha for the first time.

2002-2003 Season
                  •August, 2002. NMU Megaphone adorned with UNO hockey stickers and mailed to Mojo. He later claims that said megaphone arrived Collect on Delivery…costing him beer money to retrieve it from the USPS. This fact is highly disputed between NoClu and Mojo. The truth will never be known…Yes it was cash on delivery and will I be able to take it on the plane as carry on or checked baggage this week?
                  •November 2002: UNO Mav fans host an under-the-overpass tailgate outside the Civic Auditorium prior to the games against NMU. Mavboni makes first appearance. During the game, NMU player Chris Gobert awarded a penalty shot which he scores. Coach Kemp calls for the refs to measure the curve on his stick blade and it is found to be illegal. The goal counts, but Gobert is sent to the box for 2 minutes. Coach Kyle was mad that the request for measurement was made. Meljo and Lujo make first trip to Omaha with me and we are treated to another great time once again even though being swept. I may or may not have headbutted a parking meter on this trip?UNO fans provide a treat of frozen jagermeister jello shots for NMU Puckheads...don't ever try this during tailgate!!!

2003-2004 Season
                  •November 14th, 15th 2003: Another controversial call made (at least in the eyes of Coach Kyle). NMU is penalized at the start of the game due to submitting a faulty lineup card. Goalie Tarkki is in net but not listed on the card as a starter. Coach Kemp brought this to the attention of the ref. Coach Kyle is even madder at the call this year. During the Saturday Game, NMU freshman Pat Bateman pokes/assaults the ceremonial fish thrown on the ice. A brawl occurred resulting in 38 minutes of penalties. Coach Kyle describes the events to the UNO newspaper “Last year, we came in here and honest to God, they make a chicken **** call on a curved stick. Nobody makes that call. Then last night we put the wrong starting goalie in and he (Kemp) goes to the ref and asks for a penalty. You know, chicken ****," Kyle said. "You don't do that, so our guys are ****ed off. They throw that fish out tonight and one of our guys goes over and whacks it and gets a 10-minute misconduct for hitting a fish. I'm telling you now that's a delay of game. If that Zamboni comes out again, we're calling the league, it's a delay of game penalty. The league's got to handle that. Its not hockey, its paper shuffling." www.unogateway.com/media/storage/paper968/news/2003/11/18/Sports/Wildcats.May.Have.Baited.Mavericks.Into.Rivalry-2547373.shtml" target="_blank">www.unogateway.com/medi...-2547373.shtml" target="_blank">http://media.www.unogateway.com/medi...-2547373.shtml

•The incident is referred to as “Fish Gate” by UNO fans. (Fish Gate video available on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1yTn...eature=related and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_STcfOjrFwY ). Northern wins the game, Fans drink together and UNO fan’s plot/plan a trip to Marquette. Banjo, GMoneyjo, The Family Jules and I make the trip and we're finally treated to an NMU victory. 10 minutes misconduct for sliding a fish across the ice...boy was it worth it to see the look on Krutov's face...[]
                  2004-2005 Season
                  •December 3-4th, 2004: Mav fans caravan to Marquette. Firmly duct-taped to the hood of the lead vehicle is “Bob the Fish”. Huge Pre-game BBQ of wild critters killed in Northern Michigan (hopefully no road kill). In a mocking imitation of the UNO Fish toss, a 26” Lake Trout is thrown on the ice of the Berry Event Center. NMU sweeps series. Lots of karaoke is sung at Flanagan’s Pub in Marquette. Bob the Fish is kidnapped briefly by an NMU fan. Where is Bob the Fish these days?
                  •January 7-8, 2005: Mav’s return the favor of the sweep by taking both games from NMU in Omaha. First of only two series in Omaha with no Puckheads present.

Comment

Part 2:

2005-2006 Season
                    •February 10-11th, 2006th: During this road trip to Marquette, the Spirit Phone was inadvertently left in Omaha. (Mojo says “the Shleprocks didn’t send the Spirit Phone!). In order to preserve the tradition, Mojo creates what will become known as the “Imposter Phone”. Prior to the second game of the series, Mojo goes to the hospital with uncontrolled blood pressure (211/151). His family is worried and reluctant to tell him the score of the game. He recovers fully despite the fact that UNO sweeps NMU, and Maverick fans take possession of the Imposter Phone as a result. Mojo rants on the Mavpuck.com message board and ultimately issues a generalized curse on the Spirit/Imposter Phone. “if the Megaphone returns to Michigan it would be cursed and bring a pox on the Maverick team.
                    •February 2006: the Imposter Phone is on the annual Mavpuck.com Bus Trip (to Western Michigan University). The Mav’s, who only need 2 points to secure home ice for the first round playoff series only earn one point during the weekend. This sets up a second round rematch against NMU in Marquette only a few weeks later. Mojo believes that his curse on the megaphone was directly responsible for this turn of events. How else can you explain it? After spending all day working on the imposter phone and then falling ill two weeks earlier I was upset that the original got lost in the hands of my trusted comrades, The Red Army.•March 2006 the Mav’s return to Marquette for 1st round of playoffs and are bounced by NMU. UNO Maverick fans seek to eradicate the curse by burning the Imposter Phone on the ice of Lake Gitche Gumee (Lake Superior, search YouTube for video evidence). They recover the burnt, oddly fish-shaped corpse of the Imposter Phone from the ice and leave it on the back steps of Mojo’s house (where several Mav fans had spent the weekend). Mojo unleashes several curses.
                    •Mav’s make their first ever NCAA tournament and are eliminated by Boston University. Mojo takes some credit. Remember, Lake Superior never gives up her dead. You may have burned the Imposter Phone but the curse never died. You only made the winds of Gitchee Gumee blow that much greater and the wrath was severe.

2006-2007 Season
                    •August 06: Former UNO Player Rob Facca joins the NMU coaching staff.
                    •October 21, 2006: NMU wins the Mav Stampede, taking the tournament trophy back to Marquette. Is it coincidence that Rob Facca makes it to NMU and we win the Stampede? The curse maintained!
                    •January 26-27, 2007: UNO Sweeps NMU at in Omaha. UNO maintains possession of the Spirit Phone. Both teams honor NMU Alum Army LT. James Kolky (aka Kujo) prior to deployment to Iraq. The burnt Imposter Phone corpse is turned over to the Red Army, the official “Sprit Phone” is also awarded in a fan-to-fan concourse ceremony. Kujo, Sieve Boy and I, along with several other Puckheads make the trip. I'm escorted out of the arena for throwing a rubber chicken on the ice after a questionable call by the officiating crew. Had to tell the Qwestapo to wait until play stopped before I would leave my seat...always thinking of rinkside courtesy you know!!! Both Coaches Kyle and Kemp show much class in the way in which they honored Captain James Kolky (aka Kujo) who is currently on his second deployment to Iraq.

2007-2008 Season
                    •February 22-23, 2008, Marquette, Michigan: Official “Rules” of winning the Spirit Phone established by gentleman’s agreement between Coach Kyle and Coach Kemp. Trophy goes to the team that is the “overall winner” of the games played during the regular season. (Season Points Winner gains/retains control). Spirit Phone won by NMU in Sweep of Mavericks in Marquette. Trophy awarded on the Ice, fans from both teams represented. NMU tradition of throwing a fish on the ice after first goal (only against UNO) continues as a smoked hering is tossed and has to be taped with ductape the next night as it was the only fish FarmerJo could get ahold of.

2008-2009 Season
                    •Mav’s off to their best start in CCHA history. Looking forward to the start of the second half of the CCHA season.
                    •NMU has a rough start to the season, but are now riding high. They are coming off of their best weekend of the year after sweeping Wisconsin (winning two games straight) in Madison.
                    •January 9-10, 2009: Luckyjo, Kitjo, and Lujo attend the series and make yet another replacement Spirit Phone as NMU athletic department misplaces the original. NMU maintains possession of the Spirit Phone as a result of the series being split.

2009-2010 Season
                    And this season has scene another visit from NoClu to Marquette. Limo and party bus rides across the county and an octopus thrown on the ice at the Berry Events Center. Coincidently in front of Dallas Drake (former NMU national champion and Detroit Red Wing Stanley Cup Champion). So thus far NMU leads the series 2-0 coming into Omaha. They also have a commanding lead in total goals. Thus it would appear that NMU will maintain possession of The Spirit Phone well into the future...

But as with many things in the history of this series and The Spirit Phone...can we be so sure?

Comment

A lot of good memories between these two teams and the fanbases. Some good history in the Sport we love.....

MOJO forgot to mention a few other things in the History of this Rivalry, "The Jenna Gate Episodes" and the TommyHusker (USAF and UNO Fan) retrieving the Helmet to name a couple.....and the stories will continue to unfold in Hockey lore...............

LETS GO CATS!!!!

Comment

Kujo, some stories are best left to be discussed over a few cocktails and laughs!!! We will be thinking of you this coming weekend and can't wait for your return this May.

Comment

Originally posted by MOJO View Post
                          Part 2:

2007-2008 Season
                          •February 22-23, 2008, Marquette, Michigan: Official “Rules” of winning the Spirit Phone established by gentleman’s agreement between Coach Kyle and Coach Kemp. Trophy goes to the team that is the “overall winner” of the games played during the regular season. (Season Points Winner gains/retains control). Spirit Phone won by NMU in Sweep of Mavericks in Marquette. Trophy awarded on the Ice, fans from both teams represented. NMU tradition of throwing a fish on the ice after first goal (only against UNO) continues as a smoked hering is tossed and has to be taped with ductape the next night as it was the only fish FarmerJo could get ahold of.
                          Duct tape was used the first night. The second night a styrofoam splint was used with alternating wrap of black and white hockey tape. An errant throw by me sends it sliding towards Stewy's feet, and an old lady insists that I be arrested for "ruining a perfectly good hockey game, by throwing trash on the ice." AKA the smoked ref fish. I seriously miss getting to throw lake trout and smoked herring onto the ice.
                          Bored kids+matches+vacant school= this http://dakleinbushteacher.shutterfly.com/438

Head half shaven for a week=Free
                          NMU Vs. BGSU Tickets=Free
                          Bottle of 5 o'clock-$8
                          Shaving your head everytime Sigalet lets in a WILDCAT goal and having MOJO chant HALF-A-MULLET=Priceless

"Pat Bateman will eat your f*ing babies!!!"

05-06 A NEW GENERATION OF PUCKHEADS

Farmer JO official get away driver of Bell-Gate 05`

Comment

Originally posted by MOJO View Post
                            Kujo, Sieve Boy and I, along with several other Puckheads make the trip. I'm escorted out of the arena for throwing a rubber chicken on the ice after a questionable call by the officiating crew. Had to tell the Qwestapo to wait until play stopped before I would leave my seat...always thinking of rinkside courtesy you know!!! Both Coaches Kyle and Kemp show much class in the way in which they honored Captain James Kolky (aka Kujo) who is currently on his second deployment to Iraq.
                            You know, there were a bunch of us on that trip, myself included. There are pictures of the Puckheads taking over the inside of the Red Army Bus. And as I recall Mojo, you wouldn't have gotten thrown out of the Qwest, had it not been for one random Aromaha fan that decided to yell out "It was Wingnut!"

Also, Meljo will attest to Jager shots being a terrible idea.

Maverick Women are BEEFY!
                            *Tuni is a god among zebras*
                            'The Wildcats are at full strength':
                            THEY ALWAYS WERE!

Comment

Originally posted by dankthetank View Post
                              Duct tape was used the first night. The second night a styrofoam splint was used with alternating wrap of black and white hockey tape. An errant throw by me sends it sliding towards Stewy's feet, and an old lady insists that I be arrested for "ruining a perfectly good hockey game, by throwing trash on the ice." AKA the smoked ref fish. I seriously miss getting to throw lake trout and smoked herring onto the ice.
                              We threw one this year, and it slide to the top of the goal crease and stopped right at the goalies skates. It was great.
                              Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                              1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                              2006-2007: 15-24-2
                              2007-2008: 20-20-4
                              2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Working...
                              X