This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2nd official 09-10 Maine season thread

I completely spaced that there was a game last night.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      If Tim refuses to comment, then their is no issue with the NCAA. The NCAA doesn't prohibit asking about them, does it?
      That would make a fascinating column.

"What about the decommits, coach?"
      "NCAA regulations prevent me from talking about that."
      "Thanks coach."

Hard to imagine the BDN or PPH isn't all over that. Email one of the Boston papers...maybe they'll run a whole series.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        It was nice to win an exhibition game against a quality team,but I'm with Wally;Sirman should have gotten the start.He needs game-reps,and the team needs to get comfortable in front of him.(I realize that Willie has played some great home games,but why not save it for when it counts?)
        I'm just happy that the next game is an exhibition too. Any word if Darling will be back for VT?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          That would make a fascinating column..
          That would depend on whether or not you could get some quotes from the decommits or whether you think it speaks to the health of the program. To me having a 15 yr old change is mind is hardly the end of the world but....

I remember when the Boston papers would write columns on Maine recruits, haven't seen that for awhile
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

From CHN: The Top 10 Stories of the Decade.

The passing of Shawn Walsh is number three.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
              I'm just happy that the next game is an exhibition too. Any word if Darling will be back for VT?
              Darling was interviewed in between periods last night and said he was hoping to be on the ice and playing for the Vermont series....hopefully...but at the same time lets hope they don't hurry the process...he sounded upbeat. He has a full week plus,lets hope he gains each day.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                From CHN: The Top 10 Stories of the Decade.

The passing of Shawn Walsh is number three.
                Here's the blurb on Shawn, link above in the quote

College hockey has lost many coaching legends in the past 10 years, including Murray Murdoch (Yale), Ned Harkness (RPI/Cornell) and, recently, Amo Bessone (Michigan State). But there was no more shocking and horrible loss than active Maine coach Shawn Walsh. The at-times controversial figurehead at Maine, winner of two national championships, was cut down in his prime (just 46 years old) in the summer of 2001 by a horrific cancer that he fought to the very end.

His loss continues to reverberate, with Tim Whitehead -- who originally came on board to be an assistant, and then interim head coach, as Walsh was undergoing chemotherapy treatments, and then just stayed on the job -- doing great work amid Walsh's ever-present memory around Alford Arena.

Walsh was known as a renegade, rubbed many the wrong way, got himself and the program into some trouble -- but no one ever questioned his coaching skill, and those around him have remained his staunchest defenders as a person, too.

"In time, the other part of Shawn's persona has softened a bit," Bertagna said. "The accomplishments remain (two national championships, a near-perfect season in 1993, building the Maine program from scratch). Even in his day, when some people felt he was more rogue, he was still respected by his peers as evidenced by naming him Coach of the Year. People are able to compartmentalize things. They have a lot of respect for how good he was in every phase -- recruiting, getting better as the season went on, bench management, stealing games he shouldn't have won."

Comment

I thought it was sad.

Who on here wants Tim to break NCAA rules?
                  No One Does....what it comes down to is there are some for Whitehead and some that miss the Old Time Maine Hockey way of playing...grit,speed,goaltending,etc. and that goes to say NOT CHEATING but Maine Hockey...plain and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by mainescores View Post
                    No One Does....what it comes down to is there are some for Whitehead and some that miss the Old Time Maine Hockey way of playing...grit,speed,goaltending,etc. and that goes to say NOT CHEATING but Maine Hockey...plain and simple.
                    All of that was on display last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                      All of that was on display last night.
                      and NONE of that was on display last Friday night, when the results really meant something, whilst their opponent displayed those qualities.
                      Maine coach Red Gendron said:
                      “We’re not satisfied unless we win, that’s the bottom line. There are no moral victories. If we were to play a season for just moral victories, why even bother playing?”

Comment

Originally posted by AMcoffee View Post
                        and NONE of that was on display last Friday night, when the results really meant something, whilst their opponent displayed those qualities.
                        How true.

Comment

Quite a few New Brunswick fans at the game last night. There wasn't anywhere near 3600 which is what the box score said. Maybe 2500 showed up if that. Where was everyone last night? Afraid of a little snow or what?
                          When you say Tim Whitehead, You haven't said much!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AMcoffee View Post
                            Some of the players were quoted as saying this was the best game we played this season. Does that help

Comment

Some of the players were quoted as saying this was the best game we played this season. Does that help
                              It seemed that the players did their thing and were more relaxed. Possibly Tim cut them loose and let them play

Comment

Originally posted by fiqure8 View Post
                                It seemed that the players did their thing and were more relaxed. Possibly Tim cut them loose and let them play
                                I thought Wilson played with a lot of confidence and lifted the team

Comment

Working...
                                X