X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2nd official 09-10 Maine season thread

Originally posted by lkenney View Post
    Does anybody remember the home NCAA playoff series to make it to the frozen four in Lake Placid, maybe in '88? I was 12, and I think it was before they blew the sides out on Alfond, when it got LOUD in there. The end of the clinching game was just five minutes of the loudest noise I have ever heard. It lowered slightly when whoever we were playing scored an inconsequential goal, and picked right back up again before the ensuing faceoff. Just constant, and so loud I can't describe it.

The only thing that broke it up was the Lake Placid chant... half the arena did "LAKE!!!!" and the other half countered with "PLACID!!!" When's the last time the ENTIRE building was screaming a chant in unison? God, I love it.
    I was stationed overseas at that time. My father provided me the times of the games and I called at intervals for updates over the phone. I was 14 hours ahead time wise. I still have the SI that had the great article on the program from that year. I was so bummed personally for being so far away at the time, but so happy for the program.

Comment

collegehockeynews.com has chosen maine as their team of the week.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new.../10_teamof.php

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        She probably didn't!(Her son spoke nearly no English when he arrived at Maine,if the reports are correct.One would have to assume that she spoke even less.)

There's an especially hot poker in Hell reserved for guys who are mean to nice old ladies...Be forewarned!
        She wasn' old, she was younger than me. (who isn't?)
        She wasn't nice. She just didn't like her assigned seats.
        She spoke English.
        Originally posted by mookie1995
        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
          collegehockeynews.com has chosen maine as their team of the week.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new.../10_teamof.php
          Great article. They all sound very unified and confident. Can't wait for tomorrow night.

Comment

Originally posted by bananasformainehockey View Post

I would like to say as a student that there are far worse things than throwing stuff on the ice. I am in my third year at UM, which means after coming in thinking I would be watching Frozen Four caliber teams, I've watch Maine in two losing seasons, the frustration has building for that long. Although I was not one to throw the towels on the ice because I know the rules of possible bench misconduct, I think it was awesome that we had something to celebrate, and we did. Before this season, I might have only seen 6-8 home wins, and I've been to every home game that hasn't been over break in the last two seasons. Also in the student sections defense, once the message was played of the possibility of a penalty was played, ALL but one person stopped, and that person was boo'd as loud as Johnny Damon's return to Fenway as a yankee. That's what I have to say.
            GO BLUE!!!
            I'm in the same shoes and I couldn't agree more with this post. It wasnt because the students were unruly, it was simply the students getting what they've been wishing for for the past several years! Excitement!

Comment

maine also got some good coverage in the inch podcast... starting sround 58 minutes in if you want to skip the bulk of it...

Comment

http://www.dailyfreepress.com/sports...ocus-1.2148969

Good article for this weekend's series vs BU from a BU paper. Looks like BU is beginning to respect Maine again. Parker calls Nyquist "the best offensive player in the league"

Comment

I hope recent results and opponents' respect don't go to their heads at all on Friday. This is going to be a battle.

Comment

Originally posted by lkenney View Post
                    I hope recent results and opponents' respect don't go to their heads at all on Friday. This is going to be a battle.
                    I don't think it will be going to their heads, and I believe they know they will be in for a battle this weekend. BU is still a dangerous team, certainly not devoid of talent. I believe da Bears will be ready to play this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                      Yep, I think that game was the loudest I can remember. PC's vaunted BBG line.....PC was on fire coming into that series.....we doused em.
                      Was that the game where a guy named Corkum blasted a guy name Bennett into the sin bin, skates up?

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
                        Was that the game where a guy named Corkum blasted a guy name Bennett into the sin bin, skates up?
                        You know, I dont remember that but thats not surprising Bennet, Boback and Gudreau.......Bennet was the big mf.
                        I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by AtHomeAtTheAlfond View Post
                          I'm in the same shoes and I couldn't agree more with this post. It wasnt because the students were unruly, it was simply the students getting what they've been wishing for for the past several years! Excitement!
                          Haven't all Maine fans been subject to the same games you have? Somehow I managed to not throw stuff on the ice.
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            Haven't all Maine fans been subject to the same games you have? Somehow I managed to not throw stuff on the ice.

I haven't either but I've thought about it.
                            When you say Tim Whitehead, You haven't said much!!!

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Good point Wally! As someone who was sitting underneath these MORONS and had stuff dropping all around me and some young kids I was quite disappointed by these antics. And as someone who was quite rowdy, one of the first in line, lost his voice yelling at refs, I have to say not once did I EVER think of throwing anything "except a hat" on the ice.

Don't give me crap of waiting for this! My senior year Maine won ONE game in the ECAC all year! Acting like it is some kind of right to passage that is deserved! I was more concerned during warm-ups before the game when students in the non-mainiak section fired a puck at a UNH player. As a result UNH players deliberately flipped pucks up in the balcony. Good way for someone to lose some teeth! Be smart, and NEVER throw anything on the ice except a hat. The broom thrown with 10 minutes left and a 4-2 lead was idiotic. I have seen 2 goal leads blown in 20 seconds, hell Maine was down 2 and tied it in less than a minute that night.

Have a great time up there, most of us old folks would love to trade places, but as bad as fans are with there cheers at other Hockey East rinks, nobody is throwing stuff! Maine fans are trumpeted around the league as the best and most knowledgeable don't ruin the reputation that we worked hard to establish!

See everyone that makes the trip this weekend!

Comment

Mike Lundin playing against the B's right now on NESN.

Comment

Working...
                                X