X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2nd official 09-10 Maine season thread

Just a few random observations.

The student section was very entertaining last night. One of the banners was a Fosters beer logo with the words "Australian for sieve". There were a few UHN fans present but they didn't stand much of a chance in rooting for their team before they were "shut down" by nearby Maine fans. One of the Maine fans was very obnoxious and reminded me of the UMass Amherst atmosphere in choice of language.

Diamond was very impressive. Skating, work ethic and most of all discipline.
    This weekend at least, he really understands how to play the game and really has matured since the beginning of the season. The whole team has matured and developed for that matter.

Comment

i saw another sign:

W-ildcats
      A-lways
      B-low
      I-t

Classic! Great intensity - I agree with the Reg Cardinal intensity comment - the whole team from Line 1 to 4 was hungry for the puck and battling every inch of the ice - something we have not seen in other Whitehead versions.

Here's hoping we had some recruits in for the weekend! Anybody know?

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
        I honestly think that Maine fans just do not know what to think.

THere are a few possibilities:
        Tim has always been a good coach and the players did not buy into his system and the team did not do well the past couple years

Tim is not a good coach and Corky is bringing the best out of a the Bad News Bears

The rest of the coaches in the league are throwing games so that Tim gets renewed and then the rest of the league has three easy games on their schedule for the next five years

All of college hockey is now mediocre and teams near .500 can still be ranked pretty high.

Tim has done something and righted the ship. (right now I have to believe that this is the case. The boys are playing with Reg Cardinal intensity, and they have been since they walked on Lowell... it was the Lowell game that made me think that Maine was for real this season)...
        I believe some of the major factors are leadership and character on this team. Couple this with some talent, desire , good goal tending and the result is a positive outcome.

Comment

Hey john g,

I stopped by to say "hi" last night, but you were in the little plexi-glass box. Did I see you texting your better half after the tying goal by Maine?

Puck

Comment

Originally posted by Puck View Post
            Hey john g,

I stopped by to say "hi" last night, but you were in the little plexi-glass box. Did I see you texting your better half after the tying goal by Maine?

Puck
            Nah, better half was in attendance - I had to keep a compadre updated as he was at his son's hockey game in Brewah.....

Who dat, anyway? Initials, please??

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post

The student section was very entertaining last night. )
              When they started throwing the rags on the ice,they looked like idiots, that wasn't entertaining it was stupid
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                I believe some of the major factors are leadership and character on this team. Couple this with some talent, desire , good goal tending and the result is a positive outcome.
                I wonder if the guys that were asked to leave have something to do with this years chemistry?
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

The interviews on Maine Hockey Journal are nice. Check out the Umile interview and then take notice on when Larry shows up with his recorder.

Comment

Originally posted by john g View Post
                    Nah, better half was in attendance - I had to keep a compadre updated as he was at his son's hockey game in Brewah.....

Who dat, anyway? Initials, please??
                    RMT down in Saint A.

Comment

Tim has always been a good coach and the players did not buy into his system and the team did not do well the past couple years
                      I really don't think this one is it, KIA. Anyone else get ticked off after they took that 4-2 lead and immediately started playing Whitehead-Hockey for the next 5 minutes? Its as if they absolutely dropped their gameplan that was working like a charm for 2 days and gave NH tons of room to skate, pass, control the tempo, control the possesion. I mean, up to that point I had never seen a team clogging lanes and disrupting momentum like Maine had been doing all weekend so instead of continuing to do that when it mattered most, it was like they backed off and prayed Scotty didn't blink.

I genuinely believe that this years' team has way too much character, heart and tenacity to play like that at any given point unless they're simply doing what they're told. And even when we were contending for national championships with Timbo at the helm, even then, this coaching concept was his #1 critique. Just glad our PLAYERS have too much integrity to continue playing like that after they gave up goal #3.

Otherwise, I have NEVER seen such a hard-working hockey team. I mean, everyone. It's truly a PLEASURE to watch.

Comment

**** - shoulda kept on commin' and rattled my cage....there were some parts of the game when I didn't need to pay attention!

Any word from the sister-in-law after this weekend????

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          When they started throwing the rags on the ice,they looked like idiots, that wasn't entertaining it was stupid
                          One side of the balcony was much more guilty of that than the other. The side I was sitting (not a student but sit with them) threw very few. I am surprised we did not get a penalty.

Comment

Yes it was. Too, much emotion of winning or alcohol, I don't know which. You have to remember it's been awhile for Maine fans.

Comment

I wonder if the guys that were asked to leave have something to do with this years chemistry?
                              I think you're right.

Comment

I honestly think that Maine fans just do not know what to think.

THere are a few possibilities:

Tim is not a good coach and Corky is bringing the best out of a the Bad News Bears

The rest of the coaches in the league are throwing games so that Tim gets renewed and then the rest of the league has three easy games on their schedule for the next five years

All of college hockey is now mediocre and teams near .500 can still be ranked pretty high.

Tim has done something and righted the ship. (right now I have to believe that this is the case. The boys are playing with Reg Cardinal intensity, and they have been since they walked on Lowell... it was the Lowell game that made me think that Maine was for real this season)...
                                I will stick with how I have felt for a long time. Tim is solid when it comes to the fundamentals of the game, but lousy in terms of leadership.

Leadership on teams in the post-Walsh era has primarily come from our Captains. As such, I put the success we have had this year solidly on the shoulders of those who deserve it...the student athletes. House is doing a great job this year, and making Timmay look good.

Comment

Working...
                                X