X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVI: From Boonetown to Motown

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
    If I remember right this is one of Coach Ikola's friends.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
      Two great pieces. I am rooting hard for Stats and Team USA. I remember Andy Gambucci from his reffing days. Real nice guy and always chatting it up with the players letting them know what they could and couldn't do. Was a fair ref and explained everything to the captains even if they didn't agree with his call. Let the boys play but never let the games get out of control. Wish we had more like him on the ice today.
      As I remember we always disagreed with his calls
      Maybe it was because he went CC, you think?
      Interesting to hear the players had a different take.
      Last edited by vizoroo; 02-16-2010, 11:25 AM.
      GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
        As I remember we always disagreed with his calls
        Maybe it was because he went CC, you think?
        Interesting to hear the players had a different take.
        You were probably leading the GamBOOOOOcci cheer. Is there any ref that the fans like?

I think it is funny that he remembers the band up in the cage playing 3 Blind Mice when they came on the ice.
        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Two great pieces. I am rooting hard for Stats and Team USA. I remember Andy Gambucci from his reffing days. Real nice guy and always chatting it up with the players letting them know what they could and couldn't do. Was a fair ref and explained everything to the captains even if they didn't agree with his call. Let the boys play but never let the games get out of control. Wish we had more like him on the ice today.
          Gambucci was a colorful guy, lots of personality, who sometimes seemed to overshadow the games. He reminded me of some colorful National League umpires I grew up with, guys like Al Barlick. And that negative reaction he caused in the DU Arena was part of that personality.

By the time I came along it was a love/hate relatonship. Fans loved getting on his case but also knew he was head and shoulders above other referees. And he was fair, sometimes to a fault. His nephew, Gary, also played for CC and I remember one game in particular where that poor kid couldn't even THINK about committing a penalty, because Uncle Andy was there with his whistle. We could use more like him today.

And from our DELAYED REACTION DEPARTMENT: Lance Momotani
          Talk about an icy fist to the solar plexus! **shiver**
          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Was just thinking, this might be a weekend where Murray gets another start in net. I wouldn't be surprised to see him him between the pipes on Friday night.
            DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
            sigpic
            WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by co14ers View Post
              Was just thinking, this might be a weekend where Murray gets another start in net. I wouldn't be surprised to see him him between the pipes on Friday night.
              He's earned it. But the Pioneers have to put the pedal down.
              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by co14ers View Post
                If it happened it would be Saturday IMO.

Gwoz seemed to imply that the Mercyhurst game would be it for Murray.

I'd be in favor of it to keep the Chevy fresh for the playoffs, but I'd say the odds are 20%.

DU has to be worried about Wisconsin big time. Getting last shift against them in the Frozen Four would be critical.

Comment

If DU is able to get up by 4 goals or more on Michigan Tech either night, I could see Murray getting some playing time if Chevy isn't working on a shutout.

That said, DU doesn't usually score more than 3 per night, so I doubt we'd see Murray.

Comment

Swami, will you be at USA vs Canada Saturday?
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                      Swami, will you be at USA vs Canada Saturday?
                      That is the hope. I already have great seats for the Czechs vs Russians that day for sure in the early game, and I am shaking down of my hockey world connections to see if I can land a Canada vs, USA ticket. As you can imagine, it's a tough ticket to find, but as someone who once worked in the hockey world, I know some people that can help. There is also the possibility of trading my Russia/Czech seats to Russian or a Czech fan that might be holding a USA vs Canada seat. We'll see. Either way, I am going to see some amazing hockey.

Comment

Chevy named WCHA Defensive Player of the Week for the 4th time this season. Joe Colborne nominated for Offensive Player of the Week.

http://www.wcha.com/sports/m-hockey/...021610aae.html

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                          That is the hope. I already have great seats for the Czechs vs Russians that day for sure in the early game, and I am shaking down of my hockey world connections to see if I can land a Canada vs, USA ticket. As you can imagine, it's a tough ticket to find, but as someone who once worked in the hockey world, I know some people that can help. There is also the possibility of trading my Russia/Czech seats to Russian or a Czech fan that might be holding a USA vs Canada seat. We'll see. Either way, I am going to see some amazing hockey.
                          So, you're saying you're going to pass up a chance to meet Dmann in person for this? Geeeez!

On another note, I went to Magness today (it feels good to say that) and got some incredible seats for Friday night. There was a time when I would have never imagined paying $35 a ticket for a DU game!! It is soooo worth it!!
                          "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                          Tom Serratore

Comment

DU Game Notes for the MTU series. It also has links to the MTU game notes and WCHA Weekly Release.

Comment

You got to see DU's finest performance this season {jealous}. I hope you are hitting the slopes while you are out there. USA cleaning up in the Olympics, Bode with a Bronze medal in the DH today and Wescott with Gold in Snowboardcross. USA lead with 8 medals. 2G - 2S - 4B.
                              I forgot to answer you on this, yes, we are going back to our old stomping ground, Breckenridge!! This time we will be skiing with our 2 daughters who are now ready to ski the whole mountain (t bar especially) with us . This will be a milestone and a long anticipated event for us, wohoo!!!
                              "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                              Tom Serratore

Comment

USA Canada tickets will probably go for around $1,500 each.

Any foreign fans with tickets could sell them and pay for their entire trip. :-)
                                Last edited by dggoddard; 02-17-2010, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X