X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVI: From Boonetown to Motown

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
    Hobey Baker voting is on going and the site is actually working!
    http://www.hobeybaker.com/ballot/

Vote for Rhett and Marc!

There seems to be an Eastern bias in the voting
    It not worth getting bent out of shape over the Hobey voting. The fan vote is worth 1/64 of the formula. Odds are if DU finishes in the Top Three in the country either Chevy or Rakhshani will make the final 10. After that, they'll need to have a big WCHA playoff run.

With DU's relatively easy schedule down the stretch they both should put up some pretty decent numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post

[In additon to a pair of non-conference games]Denver has ten regular season WCHA games remaining on its schedule. The Pioneers play at North Dakota, home against Minnesota and Michigan Tech, hit the road to play Mankato and finish the regular season with a home and home series against Colorado College.

Thus far in the season Denver is: 2-0 versus North Dakota; 2-0 versus Minnesota; 1-0-1 against both Mankato and Colorado College. Denver has not yet played Tech. Against the four other WCHA teams remaining on its regular season schedule Denver is a combined 6-0-2.
      Having won its final two non-conference, regular season games, Denver begins its stretch run to finish the WCHA regular season portion of its schedule with a series against Minnesota.

The Pioneers have posted a 4-0 record against North Dakota and a 2-0 record versus Minnesota to this point in the season. Perhaps neither the Golden Gophers or Sioux are as strong at present as their squads sometimes are. Nevertheless, there are few teams ever in the position of having the opportunity to post a combined 8-0 regular season record against Minnesota and North Dakota.

Looking forward to the games this weekend. Good luck to the Pioneers.
      sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
        It not worth getting bent out of shape over the Hobey voting. The fan vote is worth 1/64 of the formula. Odds are if DU finishes in the Top Three in the country either Chevy or Rakhshani will make the final 10. After that, they'll need to have a big WCHA playoff run.

With DU's relatively easy schedule down the stretch they both should put up some pretty decent numbers.
        http://www.hobeybaker.com/vote/

1/64 or not--this is the correct page
        GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
          The hockey game should be over before Grimmette leads the 2010 Olympic team in the parade of nations.
          Thank God for TIVO. Despite all its faults, I'm a sucker for the Olympics. The heart of any opening ceremony (apart from the parade of nations) is the raising of the Olympic flag (accompanied by the Olympic Hymn) and the lighting of the torch (a tradition for which we have the Nazis to thank). My hope is that sometime before I die Bob Costas and the rest of the NBC twerps will just keep quiet during the three minutes it takes to play the hymn. I'm guessing my optimism is misplaced.

While I was in Sapporo in '72 a journalist from Europe asked me if the Superbowl is so special, why do we have it every year?
          Last edited by Old Pio; 02-11-2010, 05:14 PM.
          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
            Thank God for TIVO. Despite all its faults, I'm a sucker for the Olympics. The heart of any opening ceremony (apart from the parade of nations) is the raising of the Olympic flag (accompanied by the Olympic Hymn) and the lighting of the torch (a tradition for which we have the Nazis to thank). My hope is that sometime before I die Bob Costas and the rest of the NBC twerps will just keep quiet during the three minutes it takes to play the hymn. I'm guessing my optimism is misplaced.

While I was in Sapporo in '72 a journalist from Europe asked me if the Superbowl is so special, why do we have it every year?
            I used the Olympic Hymn for my wedding entrance march so I know what you mean. Olympism still means something - the idea that the best of each country can gather every four years in peace and battle out differences on field, court, track, ice, and slopes is still incredibly powerful. Having been to so many Olympics live, you cannot imagine how much great it is to share in that spirit until you've seen it for yourself without NBC or ABC or CBS mediating it for you. The hymn and the torch are the best moment in all of sports, and no amount of Costas, commerdialism, drugs and cost overruns can blot out the powerful symbolism and history that the Games have provided.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
              I used the Olympic Hymn for my wedding entrance march so I know what you mean. Olympism still means something - the idea that the best of each country can gather every four years in peace and battle out differences on field, court, track, ice, and slopes is still incredibly powerful. Having been to so many Olympics live, you cannot imagine how much great it is to share in that spirit until you've seen it for yourself without NBC or ABC or CBS mediating it for you. The hymn and the torch are the best moment in all of sports, and no amount of Costas, commerdialism, drugs and cost overruns can blot out the powerful symbolism and history that the Games have provided.
              One of the most powerful moments of my life occurred during the closing ceremony at Sapporo. In a darkened Makomanai Indoor Arena, JDF cadets lowered the flag and carried it out, with a spotlight on the flag, orchestra and choir playing the Olympic Hymn. As they moved toward the exit the cadets raised the flag over their heads and 105mm howitzers were fired outside, literally shaking the building. I'm choking up writing this. To keep my emotions in check, I briefly looked to my left and there, standing about three feet away from me, was a beautiful young Japanese translator, tears streaming down her face, waving goodbye to the flag.
              Last edited by Old Pio; 02-11-2010, 06:00 PM.

Comment

This week's lemon and orange.

It doesn't happen often but.....After the shooters were whittled down to six contestants vying for the lemon, about a dozen rounds ensued. Because no one was able to score a goal--owing in largest part to lead hands on the part of the shooters, coupled with decent goaltending by Lars Paulgaard--George Gwozdecky announced that there would be no lemon this week.

The most relieved man on the ice was Michael Zucker who scored before it was announced there would be no lemon awarded this week thereby ending a three week stretch of wearing the yellow lid in practice.

At the other end of the spectrum were two decidedly talented players. Anthony Maiani and Joe Colborne battled through five or six rounds as the last players competing for the orange. While Colborne wound up winning the orange for the second time in two weeks, the more impressive performer was Maiani.

I watched perhaps forty five minutes of practice and Maiani kept catching my eye. In one drill the team worked on patterned pieces for the power play. In one three minute span he scored four times on wrist shots which whistled into the back of the net no more than a foot above the ice. He looked efficient and confident.
                sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                  This week's lemon and orange.

It doesn't happen often but.....After the shooters were whittled down to six contestants vying for the lemon, about a dozen rounds ensued. Because no one was able to score a goal--owing in largest part to lead hands on the part of the shooters, coupled with decent goaltending by Lars Paulgaard--George Gwozdecky announced that there would be no lemon this week.

The most relieved man on the ice was Michael Zucker who scored before it was announced there would be no lemon awarded this week thereby ending a three week stretch of wearing the yellow lid in practice.

At the other end of the spectrum were two decidedly talented players. Anthony Maiani and Joe Colborne battled through five or six rounds as the last players competing for the orange. While Colborne wound up winning the orange for the second time in two weeks, the more impressive performer was Maiani.

I watched perhaps forty five minutes of practice and Maiani kept catching my eye. In one drill the team worked on patterned pieces for the power play. In one three minute span he scored four times on wrist shots which whistled into the back of the net no more than a foot above the ice. He looked efficient and confident.
                  Pretty funny that none of the six could score. When I was there I don't ever remember there not being a lemon "winner". I don't think it is coincidence that Maiani and Colborne were vying for the orange. They have both been outstanding since the 2nd half of the season started.
                  DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSA9xUUXj6E

I think this is my favorite torch lighting. Enberg was nearly speechless afterwards. And isn't it ironic that his most known, most revered moment in all of sports was a product of Nazi image meisters? Prior to '36 in Berlin, there had been Olympic flames, but not a flame brought into the stadium by a youth carrying a torch, who then ignited the cauldron. The Germans also had the first torch relay, beautifully filmed by Leni Riefenstahl in "Olympia." In LA for instance (in '32) the flame on top of the arch was ignited by flipping a switch.

Comment

Thanks for the OJ-Limoncello update.

Good read.

Comment

Joe Colborne article in the Denver Post tomorrow by Chambers. He put some leftovers in his blog today.
                        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                          Joe Colborne article in the Denver Post tomorrow by Chambers. He put some leftovers in his blog today.
                          Joe and his parents want another year at DU!
                          Great news for Pioneer fans. Hopefully, the Bruins will see it the same way.
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                            Pretty funny that none of the six could score. When I was there I don't ever remember there not being a lemon "winner". I don't think it is coincidence that Maiani and Colborne were vying for the orange. They have both been outstanding since the 2nd half of the season started.
                            Maybe Lars is challenging Murray for the back up position
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

Mark your calendars now for Olympic Hockey:
                              2/16 Tues. Noon (PT) US vs Switzerland
                              2/18 Thurs Noon (PT) US vs Norway
                              Could be on CNBC, but delayed

2/21 Sun 4:40PM (PT) US vs Canada--Live on MSNBC
                              Last edited by vizoroo; 02-11-2010, 10:24 PM.
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSA9xUUXj6E

I think this is my favorite torch lighting. Enberg was nearly speechless afterwards. And isn't it ironic that his most known, most revered moment in all of sports was a product of Nazi image meisters? Prior to '36 in Berlin, there had been Olympic flames, but not a flame brought into the stadium by a youth carrying a torch, who then ignited the cauldron. The Germans also had the first torch relay, beautifully filmed by Leni Riefenstahl in "Olympia." In LA for instance (in '32) the flame on top of the arch was ignited by flipping a switch.
                                'Olympia' is an incredible movie from an sports image making standpoint. Reifenstahl is the godfather of sports film documentary - Bud Greenspan, Roone Arledge and NFL films are simply her spawn, and the modern Olympic visual mythologizing of athletes through slo-motion really started right there. She even carved the Olympic Rings into the ruins of ancient Olympia to make people believe the Olympic Rings were ancient (They date from 1914).

First Flame Cauldron was Amsterdam in 1928.

It's still there in the tower next to the old Stadium:
                                http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ch_Stadion.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X