Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Part 2 - No Silly Eaves-isms, Just Win The Title!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Part 2 - No Silly Eaves-isms, Just Win The Title!

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
    Here are my order of DMan in terms of importance. Rip me if you disagree.

1) McDonaugh
    2) Goloubef
    3) Gardiner
    4) Smith
    5) Ramage
    6) Schultz
    7) Johnson
    8) Springer
    9) Little (redshriting probably)

We were talking about losing our 6th DMan. Excuse me for thinking it wouldn't be a back breaker for our team. Maybe I'm way off on the above list, though. You guys seem to think you know better so I'll defer to you. I'm glad he's still eligible, though.
    With Geoffrion and Smith getting most of the our powerplay goals i would put B. Smith a little higher in that list, Without his shot on the Powerplay we are probably not where we are today, not to mention he is leading the team in points....
    The Quest For 7

Comment

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
      ... Had the owners started with a surplus of money ...
      The dummy's. If only they had started with a surplus of money, everything would have been fine.

Ever start a business, uw? You rarely [read:never] have the luxury of starting with a surplus of money.

Comment

the owners turned out to be idiots and didn't have enough money to even start up a team much less keep it going. They underestimated the cost of everything from ice time to travel expenses and did not know what they were doing. Had the owners started with a surplus of money the team could have been successful because they were starting to get a pretty loyal following before the bottom fell out and rumors started circling. Then people lost interest. The owners were the problem, not the team, or fans or anything else. It wasn't going to be a huge success the first year but they were a good team that scored lots of goals, they had a couple fighters and they were in 2nd place when things went south. I could go through all the things that could have been done differently but the bottom line is the ownership had no clue what they were getting into.
        ding, ding, ding. That is a blanket post for every idiot who tried to start a goon league hockey team in Madison....no new info there.

I told you so....'nuff said, they're history. Back to Badger hockey.......

(sorry I responded to the post)
        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
          The dummy's. If only they had started with a surplus of money, everything would have been fine.

Ever start a business, uw? You rarely [read:never] have the luxury of starting with a surplus of money.
          I majored in business in college, Most people get a small business loan from a bank, thats kinda why our economy sucks, banks are not giving out those loans right now...
          The Quest For 7

Comment

If you have a surplus of money don't...

10). Buy a plane
            9). Get married
            8). Buy a minor league sports team
            7). Hire Dubay to house sit while you go on vacation
            6). Invest in an American Car Company
            5). Bet on Colorado College to win the National Championship
            4). Hire Don Lucia to be your spokesperson
            3). Book nonrefundable Frozen Four packages from St. Cloud
            2). Hire WCHA referees to run your business
            1). Open a restaurant in Madison without a liquor license

Comment

Doesn't business school stress the need for impeccable spelling in a business plan?

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                If you have a surplus of money don't...

10). Buy a plane
                9). Get married
                8). Buy a minor league sports team
                7). Hire Dubay to house sit while you go on vacation
                6). Invest in an American Car Company
                5). Bet on Colorado College to win the National Championship
                4). Hire Don Lucia to be your spokesperson
                3). Book nonrefundable Frozen Four packages from St. Cloud
                2). Hire WCHA referees to run your business
                1). Open a restaurant in Madison without a liquor license

Oops.

Another diet coke goes through the ole' nasal passages, narrowly missing the keyboard.

Well done.

Comment

the owners turned out to be idiots and didn't have enough money to even start up a team much less keep it going. They underestimated the cost of everything from ice time to travel expenses and did not know what they were doing. Had the owners started with a surplus of money the team could have been successful because they were starting to get a pretty loyal following before the bottom fell out and rumors started circling. Then people lost interest. The owners were the problem, not the team, or fans or anything else. It wasn't going to be a huge success the first year but they were a good team that scored lots of goals, they had a couple fighters and they were in 2nd place when things went south. I could go through all the things that could have been done differently but the bottom line is the ownership had no clue what they were getting into.
                  Feel free to mix in paragraphs once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                    Feel free to mix in paragraphs once in a while.
                    Just be glad that he uses punctuation at all!

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Part 2 - No Silly Eaves-isms, Just Win The Title!

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                      How about I just disagree w/ you. I don't make lists because you are removing players from situations and hockey to me is all about situations and a players strengths and weaknesses on the PP and PK, defensive zone, etc.

To me only 2 dman put the team in sure hands in all situations and that is Goloubef and McDonagh. On the PP, Smith and Schultz are the 1st pairing, and Schultz is basically filling McBain's shoes there. He has done pretty well, and the PP has improved all season. Actually he needs to shoot more, instead of passing. On the PK, Schultz, Gardiner and Ramage have all done well this season at times struggled others. With Smith concentrates on D (on the PK) he does well, he plays a great stick. At EV, Gardiner has disappointed me this season, though I know he is doing the heavy lifting w/ McD. Schultz and Goloubef have been the solid and steady 2nd pair. You don't notice them because they don't screw up. Smith is boom or bust at EV, Ramage has attempted to save his butt so many times (often doing that). Smith offensive skills overall are so vast that he is essential. Ramage is just solid, but I'd never put him over Schultz.

All that said, even if you consider Schultz #6, the drop off to Johnson or Springer is immense IMHO. Springer hasn't played well wehn given a chance since Dec 2008, and Johnson looked lost at times during the showdown. I was honestly disappointed in his play in those 2 games, I wanted to see a reason why he should crack the lineup on occasion and didn't see one.

On the PP I'd put Schutlz #2, on the PK I'd put him #4 and EV #3.
                      I didn't think you guys were that high on Schultz. The numbers really don't make it look like he is doing well. You guys know hockey a lot better than I do, though, so that is good to know. I've never played organized hockey because it was too much money for my parents growing up so we just played on the lake or whatever. I also haven't followed the sport as long as you guys have so I guess Schultz is doing a lot better than I thought he was. Thanks for the insight.
                      Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Catching up on Wisconsin Hockey Part 2, the title of which I rather like.

-I do have a flamethrower. If I can find it in the basement, perhaps I could lend it out for a fee. Or beer.

-Glad Schultz is eligible. A rank ordering of the defensemen is not necessarily helpful in assessing the loss to the team had Schultz been ineligible. Of the D sitting out each game, Johnson is solid and the other two scared the crap out of me regularly when they did get playing time last year. Johnson hasn't been a big pp guy when he's been playing. Swapping a good D who is skilled on the pp for a decent D who's not a pp guy is a loss, even if the replacement is defensively solid.

-Sad to hear of the Ice Muskies problems. Starting that team up may not have been smart, but they had a cool logo and we found the one game we attended highly entertaining. (Highlights: standing room on glass near beer stand; one fan who got an opposing player to yell back at him.)

-Getting pumped for the next two weekends. Both are big series- we know this weekend vs Denver is big... and with Duluth up in the PWR at the moment I'm increasingly pumped for that, too. I'll be in Duluth with a large and mostly drunken crew, and am already practicing taking a deep breath and reminding myself that I want to avoid being tossed out of the game more than I want to attempt to harm the loon.

Comment

I didn't think you guys were that high on Schultz. The numbers really don't make it look like he is doing well. You guys know hockey a lot better than I do, though, so that is good to know. I've never played organized hockey because it was too much money for my parents growing up so we just played on the lake or whatever. I also haven't followed the sport as long as you guys have so I guess Schultz is doing a lot better than I thought he was. Thanks for the insight.
                          Numbers for defensemen are rather misleading.

Comment

@The Hallucination: You have a flame thrower???

Comment

Supposedly Eaves tried a "tactic" on the Saturday CC game that didn't work. I wonder what that was. Anybody pick anything up that saw the game?

EAVES: Well, first of all, I think it's, people don't realize what a tough task it is to beat a team back-to-back nights for a couple of reasons. First of all, they know what you do, you know what they do. Second of all, and probably more importantly is the emotional edge that the team gets when they lose at home. We shut them out at home. At the same level, our emotional level, though, we feel pretty good about ourselves. And so to get to your question, where does the ultimate responsibility lie, I take some of that responsibility. I tried a tactic Saturday that I thought would work. It obviously didn't work. I take some of the responsibility. Some of the responsibility goes to our leadership core, and then the rest of the responsibility goes to the guys, the rest of the guys. So in looking at that, I said after the game it's one of the great challenges of coaching in the WCHA, that task of beating a team back-to-back. And in looking at it, watching video, I talked with the captains yesterday, and will speak with them again today, I think there's a lesson to be learned there, and we'll address that and hopefully the next time it come up that we are better suited to handle that challenge.

QUESTION #2: Just quick follow-up. What was the tactic that you tried Saturday that you said . . .

EAVES: Well, that's something I'm going to keep in house. I hope you respect that. I think it's something that, you know, there's that intimacy of the locker room that I think, that I need to protect, and I want to address it with our captains and move forward.
                              Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Supposedly Eaves tried a "tactic" on the Saturday CC game that didn't work. I wonder what that was. Anybody pick anything up that saw the game?
                                Ran into coach Oz at MIA last night and he mumbled something about a live chicken, three drops of blood from an unbaptized child and a tennis ball, but wouldn't elaborate.

Comment

Working...
                                X