Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Part 2 - No Silly Eaves-isms, Just Win The Title!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Part 2 - No Silly Eaves-isms, Just Win The Title!

Originally posted by Red Till I'm Dead! View Post
    Is it truly wrong for me to not cheer against minnesota this weekend when they play Denver?
    I feel dirty
    I hate the rodents more than just about anyone, here's how I handle the situation. I don't root for either team and when one loses, I am happy. It's a no lose situation for me then.

You'll NEVER see me cheer for the rodents. NEVER. If it came down to them beating a team to get UW into the NCAA's, then I'd say UW should have won more during the season to make that game meaningless.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

If I pick up the paper the next day and see that the gophers have beaten Denver, I'll be pleased about the improvement in Bucky's standing. I don't mind the gophers winning under the present circumstances. Just so I don't have to watch.

Comment

Not sure how thrilled the UW Athletic Department would be if I shared this on the No Alibis blog* so I'll make note of it here.

* (To be fair, I don't know if they even read- much less care about- our blog)

I sent an e-mail to three addresses from the UWBadgers.com (the generic "contact us" address, to one Hockey staffer and one Bouncyball staffer). I had been noticing several posterboard signs in the student section whenever I've seen the men's basketball (edit: whenever I've seen basketball on TV). Knowing UW's strict policies on confiscating signs, banners and flags- and the exceptions to those policies are very rare (notably: Phil, and that one time I saw Sioux fans with a Sioux flag- although that was during an NCAA regional)- I asked the obvious question: what's the deal?

I got pretty insightful answers from two of the e-mail addresses (the hockey staffer, perhaps prudently, didn't answer and kindly pointed me towards another staffer). Evidently, the marketing staff has been distributing sponsored signs to students as they show up to basketball games as an effort to "add more excitement to the Kohl Center" and "re-engage the Grateful Red student section" (their words in quotes).

Seems like a decent idea, if you ask me. It creates a cool look for the Grateful Red when they're on ESPN cameras, and I can dig it. The BB staffer noted that they've gotten great feedback on this experiment.

Whomever responds to the generic e-mail address also added two very telling quotes about why this isn't being done at football or hockey games (this is why I'm posting about the whole thing here):

"A comparable program at Camp Randall wouldn’t be feasible due to the numbers of students and fans; just getting the student body into Camp Randall is a gargantuan task."

"The student sections at Hockey games are very engaged already, so there hasn’t been a student or dept. initiative to make the “signing” a part of the hockey experience for students at the Kohl Center."

You can pretty much figure out why I love the bolded parts...
        Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 02-10-2010, 04:50 PM.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          Not sure how thrilled the UW Athletic Department would be if I shared this on the No Alibis blog* so I'll make note of it here.

* (To be fair, I don't know if they even read- much less care about- our blog)

I sent an e-mail to three addresses from the UWBadgers.com (the generic "contact us" address, to one Hockey staffer and one Bouncyball staffer). I had been noticing several posterboard signs in the student section whenever I've seen the men's basketball. Knowing UW's strict policies on confiscating signs, banners and flags- and the exceptions to those policies are very rare (notably: Phil, and that one time I saw Sioux fans with a Sioux flag- although that was during an NCAA regional)- I asked the obvious question: what's the deal?

I got pretty insightful answers from two of the e-mail addresses (the hockey staffer, perhaps prudently, didn't answer and kindly pointed me towards another staffer). Evidently, the marketing staff has been distributing sponsored signs to students as they show up to basketball games as an effort to "add more excitement to the Kohl Center" and "re-engage the Grateful Red student section" (their words in quotes).

Seems like a decent idea, if you ask me. It creates a cool look for the Grateful Red when they're on ESPN cameras, and I can dig it. The BB staffer noted that they've gotten great feedback on this experiment.

Whomever responds to the generic e-mail address also added two very telling quotes about why this isn't being done at football or hockey games (this is why I'm posting about the whole thing here):

"A comparable program at Camp Randall wouldn’t be feasible due to the numbers of students and fans; just getting the student body into Camp Randall is a gargantuan task."

"The student sections at Hockey games are very engaged already, so there hasn’t been a student or dept. initiative to make the “signing” a part of the hockey experience for students at the Kohl Center."

You can pretty much figure out why I love the bolded parts...

Very interesting information! My friend actually is tasked with the job of finding vulgar signs at all the basketball games (essentially sitting in a booth with binoculars and pointing out to security when one is found). When I asked her if we would ever be allowed to bring in signs to hockey, she gave me the same "hockey is already engaged" talk. I still think it would be nice to allow anyone to bring signs into the arena, to engage the non student sections as well.
          In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
          I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
            Very interesting information! My friend actually is tasked with the job of finding vulgar signs at all the basketball games (essentially sitting in a booth with binoculars and pointing out to security when one is found). When I asked her if we would ever be allowed to bring in signs to hockey, she gave me the same "hockey is already engaged" talk. I still think it would be nice to allow anyone to bring signs into the arena, to engage the non student sections as well.
            I would have been content to be allowed to bring in UW flags, even if they're not on a pole, to wave around during Varsity.

Or even to allow banners, a la the Dane.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

I would have been content to be allowed to bring in UW flags, even if they're not on a pole, to wave around during Varsity.

Or even to allow banners, a la the Dane.
              Bring back the rubber chicken on a stick!

Comment

Ok, if you've been reading the 60 min blog you've noticed that Hockeys Future has been doing college prospect updates. I was looking through some different teams tonight that don't have Badger prospects and almost spit out my coffee and I wasn't even drinking any.

The guy/girl who did the St. Louis update had a bio of Travis Erstad on there. Yeah, that is correct, the same Travis Erstad who is playing division 3 hockey for UW-Stevens Point.

Just thought it was funny and you guys would maybe want to see it.

"Travis Erstad, C - University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
                Acquired: 4th round, 100th overall, 2007
                11-9-1988, 6'4, 210 pounds

The gritty, physical Travis Erstad leads the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point in penalty minutes, while also contributing a bit on the scoresheet. The sophomore has four goals and eight assists in 12 games for the Pointers, with two of those goals coming on the power play. While he’ll never be confused with a great playmaker, Erstad has the potential to be a complimentary player. But he is still at the Division III level. "

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                  No doubt the students' section is already very much, "engaged". I would like to see them do more to get the non-students engaged. Ive got season tickets in section 121 and its a little disappointing how unengaged some people are.
                  It took me a little while to learn what all the different chants are (sometimes its hard to hear exactly what people are saying and to see exactly what the motions are). It would be nice if they had an online resource or something where you could look it up and learn all the different chants.
                  I realize that much of the time, the students come up with special chants and its not exactly something that you could distribute to everyone (and no doubt the students probably like having their own chants), but it would be nice if there were a resource for new fans who want to learn all the standard stuff.
                  A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                  Originally posted by MadCityRich
                  He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                  Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                  Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                  "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Brian Elliott's streak continues:

9 straight wins, including a 2-0 shutout against the Canucks tonight.

Interesting Elliott factoid of the day: Elliott had a 6 game win streak in his rookie season last year, which according to Wikipedia, is an all-time NHL record win streak for a rookie goaltender.

Badgers in the NHL record books! Who knew?

Comment

Brian Elliott's streak continues:

9 straight wins, including a 2-0 shutout against the Canucks tonight.

Interesting Elliott factoid of the day: Elliott had a 6 game win streak in his rookie season last year, which according to Wikipedia, is an all-time NHL record win streak for a rookie goaltender.

Badgers in the NHL record books! Who knew?
                      Unfortunately Wellwood got one for the Canucks with less than 2 minutes left, and it ended 3-1 (could've used a fantasy shutout).

Anyways, still great for Elliott.

Comment

Oops... I thought the 2-0 score was a final. Stupid browser not regenerating!!! I say as if it's not a user error...

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                          Denver can lose next weekend
                          So then you are rooting for Goofy next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by TJbadgerfan View Post
                            So then you are rooting for Goofy next weekend.
                            http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.c...ophers-win.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                              Ok, if you've been reading the 60 min blog you've noticed that Hockeys Future has been doing college prospect updates. I was looking through some different teams tonight that don't have Badger prospects and almost spit out my coffee and I wasn't even drinking any.

The guy/girl who did the St. Louis update had a bio of Travis Erstad on there. Yeah, that is correct, the same Travis Erstad who is playing division 3 hockey for UW-Stevens Point.

Just thought it was funny and you guys would maybe want to see it.

"Travis Erstad, C - University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
                              Acquired: 4th round, 100th overall, 2007
                              11-9-1988, 6'4, 210 pounds

The gritty, physical Travis Erstad leads the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point in penalty minutes, while also contributing a bit on the scoresheet. The sophomore has four goals and eight assists in 12 games for the Pointers, with two of those goals coming on the power play. While he’ll never be confused with a great playmaker, Erstad has the potential to be a complimentary player. But he is still at the Division III level. "
                              Chuck, I've seen Erstad play a few times in his two seasons at Point. He's a good D3 player, but not a great one. You notice him because he's a taller guy who isn't afraid to do his own protecting, but his skills don't jump off the ice. He's a big body with solid skills for the level he plays, but definitely a 4th line grinder at UW and I wonder how much ice time he would have even earned in that role. I don't think St. Louis drafted him to be a top line center, but you likely find yourself expecting more from an NHL draft pick playing in the NCHA. I don't remember who exactly got some of his scholarship money and his spot when he bolted late and unexpectedly, but without even knowing I'll say it worked out OK for all parties involved. Both Travis and Garrett Suter are playing at the right level. They are both above average D3 players, but neither play with enough skill or discipline to be dominant.
                              Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
                              2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
                              2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
                              Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

I don't normally do this but I'm going to come out and say Matt Thurber should be seeing regular shifts over #10 and #24. those 2 guys have just flat out disappeared.

Last night Grotting had an excellent game going after loose pucks and generally winning those battles. I know some on this board have questioned his play but I'm definitely on the Grotting bandwagon after seeing 4 games in person thusfar and several more on tv.

Maybe Thurber busts out as a junior the same way Dan Plante did....who knows?
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X