Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Part 2 - No Silly Eaves-isms, Just Win The Title!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Part 2 - No Silly Eaves-isms, Just Win The Title!

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Man, I said the same thing to MrsMCR while driving home Saturday night. I got "hoarse" from cheering, but far short of losing my voice completely like I did back in the day! Nothing a little some Korbel, honey, and lemon couldn't handle. Both teams played great hockey, had great shots, made great saves, emotional roller coaster, fun fans. College hockey at it's best. I hope there were some recruits on hand.

"The Hawk" had to be looking down with a big smile.
    I take a small part of responsibility for lack of volume last weekend... I had the flu (probably swine) in early January, am still fighting the secondary sinus infection, and have not yet recovered the upper, screechy range of my voice. As I remarked Friday, I still don't have my "woo!" I'll do my best in Duluth, though I'll also be herding drunks.

Originally posted by Badgers1 View Post
    Anyone made the trip to Houghton in February before? Was thinking of making the trip, but not sure how likily it will be that the weather cooperates. Booking the hotel rooms soon, but are cancellable and figure tickets will be easy to come by the day of the game. Have made the trip twice before, but both times were at the start of the season.
    Oh, god, Houghton in February... *huddlesincornershivering* We did that in 2006. Most of the way up was cold but clear, and then roughly 50 miles out of Houghton it started snowing AND DID NOT STOP TIL SUNDAY. I would kill myself if I lived there, and I'm not sure I'll ever make that roadtrip again. That said, you *can* make it, and apparently Houghton in February doesn't necessarily make *everyone* suicidal because some make the trip more than once.

Comment

There's been a lot of back & forth here regarding Miami's SOS. When I think about their schedule vs. Wisconsin's it's not close. Not by a long shot. I count quite a few cupcake games in bold, and that's based solely on those teams performances in the only year that matters, 2009/2010.

I don't know where 6th toughest schedule comes from. If it comes from a writer or a computer but either way if that's 6th toughest I'd wager WCHA must have 1-5, and I'd say we've got quite a few teams in the top 20 with sweet tooth schedules. This just doesn't seem like a top 6 toughest schedule to me.

re: Wisconsin. I'm glad they're #2. Cause #1 only matters after the last game of the year, and for UW I hope that last game is the final tilt in April.

Fri10/09/2009 W3 St. Cloud State (nc)2ot
      Sat10/10/2009 W2 St. Cloud State (nc)0
      Fri10/16/2009 W6@ New Hampshire (nc)3
      Sat10/17/2009 T5@ New Hampshire (nc)5ot
      Fri10/23/2009 W2 Michigan State1
      Sat10/24/2009 L2 Michigan State3ot
      Fri10/30/2009 W4@ Northern Michigan3
      Sat10/31/2009 W2@ Northern Michigan1
      Fri11/06/2009 W3@ Michigan1
      Sat11/07/2009 W5@ Michigan1
      Fri11/13/2009 T2 Ferris State2ot
      Sat11/14/2009 T1 Ferris State1ot
      Fri11/20/2009 W3@ Western Michigan0
      Sat11/21/2009 T1@ Western Michigan1ot
      Fri11/27/2009 L2vs Bemidji State (nc)3
      Sat11/28/2009 T5@ North Dakota (nc)5ot
      Fri12/04/2009 W1 Notre Dame0
      Sat12/05/2009 W4 Notre Dame0
      Fri12/11/2009 W6@ Ohio State0
      Sat12/12/2009 W4 Ohio State2
      Fri01/08/2010 L1@ Robert Morris (nc)3
      Sun01/10/2010 L1Robert Morris (nc)2
      Fri01/15/2010 W4@ Ferris State0
      Sat01/16/2010 W5@ Ferris State4
      Fri01/22/2010 T1@ Alaska1ot Box
      Sat01/23/2010 W5@ Alaska0 Box
      Fri01/29/2010 Western Michigan
      Sat01/30/2010 Western Michigan
      Fri02/05/2010 Lake Superior
      Sat02/06/2010 Lake Superior
      Fri02/12/2010 @ Bowling Green
      Sat02/13/2010 @ Bowling Green
      Fri02/19/2010 Nebraska-Omaha
      Sat02/20/2010 Nebraska-Omaha
      Fri02/26/2010 Ohio State
      Sat02/27/2010 @ Ohio State
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Last edited by WeWantMore; 01-25-2010, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Here you go:http://www.playoffstatus.com/ncaahoc...yrankings.html

Actually, with all this rankings chatter, (It is Monday afterall, and we have to fill up the week somehow) a better question might be how UND (PWR #10; KRACH #10), is ranked #4?
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Bullitt View Post
            While you may have a point there, Wisconsin has a harder schedule than Miami. Strength of schedule should weigh heavy...

Miami is NOT a #1 team, period. We'll see that very soon, (well, not at least until the playoffs) and I'll be the first one to laugh at the polls.

They were SWEPT by Robert Morris...one game of which was on Miami ice! Imagine what's gonna happen when Miami plays a Denver, CC, Wis, etc.!

I guess we'll see who was right or wrong once we get to the tourney...
            I think your mis-understanding my point. I'm not saying Miami is better than Wisconsin. In fact I think the opposite. What I am saying, is that Miami has performed better according to the only non arbitrary source, the computer rankings.

When you look at the schedule and wins and losses Miami has, you have a clear bias. When the computer looks at the schedule and wins and losses Miami has, it has no bias.

I don't understand why people think they are smarter than a computer.

FWIW, here is the current NCAA strength of schedule computer rankings.

1. Denver
            2. Michigan Tech
            3. Wisconsin
            4. Colorado College
            5. Alaska Anchorage
            6. Miami
            7. North Dakota
            8. Minnesota
            9. St. Cloud State
            10. Minnesota Duluth
            11. New Hampshire
            12. Ohio State
            13. Minnesota State
            14. Vermont
            15. Boston University

Also, when comparing what Miami and Wisonsin have done so far this season.

Miami    Wisconsin
            RPI .5850 .5692
            TUC 11-2-5 8-5-4
            COP 6-1-2 5-2-1

Comment

I'm not sure what you guys are arguing about. If you're wondering who the #1 team is to date, it's Miami. It's all well and good to say that they'll falter down the stretch and they really aren't as good as the PWR and KRACH shows, but that's not what either of those ranking systems do. They measure based on the evidence to date. Obviously, that sample size is limited, but it is what it is.
              "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                I'm not sure what you guys are arguing about. If you're wondering who the #1 team is to date, it's Miami. It's all well and good to say that they'll falter down the stretch and they really aren't as good as the PWR and KRACH shows, but that's not what either of those ranking systems do. They measure based on the evidence to date. Obviously, that sample size is limited, but it is what it is.
                Hey! Come on down and collect your prize. This is what I've been trying to mumble out all day.

Comment

I believe the PWR and KRACH attempt to measure which team has had the best total season. Not necessarily who is playing the best, or is the best at a given moment. ( I think...)
                  I was just thinking about it and wondering if it would make sense to progressively weight the games value in the equation as the season goes on. Beating UW for example week one, is not the same as beating them in week 10. Although I suppose that the beating team would be better in week 10 as well... but still it seems to make sense to me?
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                    I think your mis-understanding my point. I'm not saying Miami is better than Wisconsin. In fact I think the opposite. What I am saying, is that Miami has performed better according to the only non arbitrary source, the computer rankings.

When you look at the schedule and wins and losses Miami has, you have a clear bias. When the computer looks at the schedule and wins and losses Miami has, it has no bias.

I don't understand why people think they are smarter than a computer.

FWIW, here is the current NCAA strength of schedule computer rankings.

1. Denver
                    2. Michigan Tech
                    3. Wisconsin
                    4. Colorado College
                    5. Alaska Anchorage
                    6. Miami
                    7. North Dakota
                    8. Minnesota
                    9. St. Cloud State
                    10. Minnesota Duluth
                    11. New Hampshire
                    12. Ohio State
                    13. Minnesota State
                    14. Vermont
                    15. Boston University

Also, when comparing what Miami and Wisonsin have done so far this season.

Miami    Wisconsin
                    RPI .5850 .5692
                    TUC 11-2-5 8-5-4
                    COP 6-1-2 5-2-1
                    wow. so ALL WCHA teams in the top 13 toughest schedule (no surprise since it is the strongest conference top to bottom). That really doesn't make sense then as to who the writers voted for for #1 this week, esp with recent results.

As for the computer models.... If Minnesota is still a TUC and Western Michigan is still a TUC then I see why it favors Miami. That would be a flaw in my estimation. The COP is probably right on, but when Wisconsin's TUC's are generally tougher (WHCA) than Miami's (CCHA and robert morris) I guess that barometer doesn't fly with me unless it goes all the way out to compare the TUC's strength of schedules, which still wouldn't make sense given the entire WCHA is in the top 13.

that said, my main point is Miami isn't as good as the top 4-5 WCHA.
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                      Almington's 15 rules of NCAA hockey:

Rule #0: If you win the games you play, everything else will take care of itself.

Rule #1: The polls don't matter.

Rule #2: The actual PWR/RPI only matters once a year.

Rule #3: What really matters game to game is what GOES into the PWR/RPI.

Rule #4: The PWR/RPI criteria is a mess of flawed logic.

Rule #5: SOS has no impact on the PWR/RPI.

Rule #6: The polls (still) don't matter.

Rule #7: KRACH doesn't matter.

Rule #8: Stop responding to the idiots and/or tolls.

Rule #9: You don't get to hang a banner for being the best team on January 31st.

Rule #10: Banners don't skate.

Rule #11: In case you forgot, The polls DO NOT MATTER! Not now, not tomorrow, not EVER!

Rule #12: The PWR/RPI is simple math.

Rule #13: See rule #0

Rule #14: The PWR/RPI may suck, but it's better than the Smoke filled room model

Rule #15: Seeding isn't what matters, making the NCAA tounament and giving yourself a chance to make a run.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                        Almington's 15 rules of NCAA hockey:

Rule #0: If you win the games you play, everything else will take care of itself.

Rule #1: The polls don't matter.

Rule #2: The actual PWR/RPI only matters once a year.

Rule #3: What really matters game to game is what GOES into the PWR/RPI.

Rule #4: The PWR/RPI criteria is a mess of flawed logic.

Rule #5: SOS has no impact on the PWR/RPI.

Rule #6: The polls (still) don't matter.

Rule #7: KRACH doesn't matter.

Rule #8: Stop responding to the idiots and/or tolls.

Rule #9: You don't get to hang a banner for being the best team on January 31st.

Rule #10: Banners don't skate.

Rule #11: In case you forgot, The polls DO NOT MATTER! Not now, not tomorrow, not EVER!

Rule #12: The PWR/RPI is simple math.

Rule #13: See rule #0

Rule #14: The PWR/RPI may suck, but it's better than the Smoke filled room model

Rule #15: Seeding isn't what matters, making the NCAA tounament and giving yourself a chance to make a run.
                        None of those rules makes us #1 and are therefore bogus.

I WANT TO BE #1! (stamps feet)

Comment

I couldn't care less about who's ranked number one until after the Frozen Four.

I'm not even sure that it would be a benefit for this team to be ranked #1. Until last weekend, they've had a hard time putting together back to back good efforts. These kids need to stay hungry.

Just keep winning and all will take care of itself.

Comment

Enough of the meaningless rankings (gotta admitt I'd like to see the Badgers #1 as well) another big series this weekend at UMD.

As we head deeper into the season the lineup is getting closer to being set.

Street - Geoffrion - Smith
                            Murray - Stepan - Davies
                            Mitchell - Bendy - Grotting
                            Bombach- Thurber/ -Johnson
                            Dolan

It appears that Lee and Podge won't be seeing much ice for the remainder of the year, as neither really fits the 3rd or 4th line grinder roll.

The only question is who will center the 4th line. I saw both games this last weekend and although I thought both Thurber and Dolan played well, I would have to say Thurber outplayed Dolan by a good margin. Dolan is bigger, but I think Thurber is a more physical player and a better defensive zone asset. All that being said, What I would really like to see is Dolan moving out on the wing with Bomber and Thurber.

Just my .02 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtyme25 View Post
                              Enough of the meaningless rankings (gotta admitt I'd like to see the Badgers #1 as well) another big series this weekend at UMD.

As we head deeper into the season the lineup is getting closer to being set.

Street - Geoffrion - Smith
                              Murray - Stepan - Davies
                              Mitchell - Bendy - Grotting
                              Bombach- Thurber/ -Johnson
                              Dolan

It appears that Lee and Podge won't be seeing much ice for the remainder of the year, as neither really fits the 3rd or 4th line grinder roll.

The only question is who will center the 4th line. I saw both games this last weekend and although I thought both Thurber and Dolan played well, I would have to say Thurber outplayed Dolan by a good margin. Dolan is bigger, but I think Thurber is a more physical player and a better defensive zone asset. All that being said, What I would really like to see is Dolan moving out on the wing with Bomber and Thurber.

Just my .02 cents.
                              Totally agree on Dolan, Ratty Johnson is not one of the 12 best forwards on the team. I like him, but the "magic" he had freshman year, whether it was playing on a line w/ KT and Geoffrion, or the "I'm going to own those MFers" attitude, is lost.

I want the best team out there that can win games, and actually I'd like to see Dolan move to center between Mitchell and Grotting, bring back the grind line, and then put Bendi on wing w/ Thurber and Bohmber to make a great grind/3rd scoring line.
                              Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                              Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                              Originally posted by UWisco
                              It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Here's an idea... The polls don't matter... Who cares where we're ranked? The only thing we need to worry about is winning. RPI/PWR can and will change a ton between now and late March. If we're #1 going in, and we lose in the first round, what does that prove? Nothing. Do I think Wisconsin can beat any other team in the country right now? Yes, I do. Do I think that they're a candidate for #1, sure. So did 8 of the voters for the USCHO poll, but who cares? A flawed computer program says we're not #1, get over it. If we deserve to get there, we will. Explain this: we're 4th in the WCHA, why should we be #1 in the country?
                                Wisconsin Hockey is life... Everything else is just filler.

Comment

Working...
                                X