D3 Frozen Four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D3 Frozen Four

Instead of wasting space in other threads, why not just start it's own.

Should the FF be held at a MIAC site, a NCHA site or a neutral site out West. This way Western hockey fans will be able to see some great hockey.

There have been good Western teams that have been screwed in the past by being omitted from an Eastern FF.
    If it is held out West this year there will be one or two deserving Eastern teams that will be getting the short end. Let the whining begin.

valiantfan08

Re: Women's DIII 2009-2010 Fan Opinion Poll
    It would be a shame if they force it out West when a team may not deserve to be in the NCAA tournament...

Re: D3 Frozen Four

Originally posted by nbound View Post
    Instead of wasting space in other threads, why not just start it's own.

Should the FF be held at a MIAC site, a NCHA site or a neutral site out West. This way Western hockey fans will be able to see some great hockey.

There have been good Western teams that have been screwed in the past by being omitted from an Eastern FF.
    If it is held out West this year there will be one or two deserving Eastern teams that will be getting the short end. Let the whining begin.

valiantfan08

Re: Women's DIII 2009-2010 Fan Opinion Poll
    It would be a shame if they force it out West when a team may not deserve to be in the NCAA tournament...
    And you can guarantee they will be deserving because the only four national champions in the history of division III hockey will not be there because only two east teams can make it if the FF is out west. Your move.

Comment

Originally posted by nyi19 View Post
      And you can guarantee they will be deserving because the only four national champions in the history of division III hockey will not be there because only two east teams can make it if the FF is out west. Your move.
      So because Elmira won the national title in '02 & '03 they automatically should be put in the final four?

Last season only 2 of the previous 3 were in the frozen four and it was out east. Your argument is in a word--Stupid.

There is no possible way that all 4 of the previous winners can be in the frozen four, it would be fairly impossible for 3 of the 4 to make it in any given year.

ya---maybe Middlebury gets left out and a western team gets in. Know what--Middlebury should have won the nescac tournament then. I've been told that 100 times over the past 5 or 6 years when I say western teams got left out, due to money/location. After the past 2 weeks does Middlebury deserve to be in...maybe not?

Just because it is out west doesn't guarantee a 2-2 split. A couple years ago the NCAA shocked the D3 mens world when they decided to have a 3-1 split at the FF in Superior. If they have any integrity whatsoever, the FF will be out in the West--probably at Lake Forest or River Falls--regardless of what the split is.

Does anyone know if there are hosting requirements for the D3 women's FF like there is with the men's? Do they have to have 4 locker rooms, etc? That might limit some of the hosting capabilities.
      Last edited by gojackets; 01-11-2010, 11:56 AM.
      UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
      NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
      Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
        So because Elmira won the national title in '02 & '03 they automatically should be put in the final four?

Last season only 2 of the previous 3 were in the frozen four and it was out east. Your argument is in a word--Stupid.

There is no possible way that all 4 of the previous winners can be in the frozen four, it would be fairly impossible for 3 of the 4 to make it in any given year.

ya---maybe Middlebury gets left out and a western team gets in. Know what--Middlebury should have won the nescac tournament then. I've been told that 100 times over the past 5 or 6 years when I say western teams got left out, due to money/location. After the past 2 weeks does Middlebury deserve to be in...maybe not?

Just because it is out west doesn't guarantee a 2-2 split. A couple years ago the NCAA shocked the D3 mens world when they decided to have a 3-1 split at the FF in Superior. If they have any integrity whatsoever, the FF will be out in the West--probably at Lake Forest or River Falls--regardless of what the split is.

Does anyone know if there are hosting requirements for the D3 women's FF like there is with the men's? Do they have to have 4 locker rooms, etc? That might limit some of the hosting capabilities.
        My argument wasn't that all of the teams should always be included. Give my intelligence some credit — I'm smarter than that. But that more than likely, the winner of the NESCAC and ECACW is a former national champion now and gets in regardless and probably beats another former national champion to get the automatic bid, barring RIT making a statement this year.

I'd love for it to go out west. But not because they feel bad. Because a team proves worthy. If that team be River Falls this year, that's fine. The more competition the better. All of these arguments over whether the west or east is better mean nothing if they never get the chance to play each other. Maybe the west should get more than one team just so the entire fate of the region is not left with a River Falls or Superior as it was two years ago. The only way to settle is for the west to make a statement against an east team. And a west team hasn't made the title game since 2004...the only time it happened. Say what you want about home ice and this and that, but the teams arrive two days in advance and get at least one practice on the ice they play the FF on. That excuse can only go so far.

Comment

Originally posted by nyi19 View Post
          My argument wasn't that all of the teams should always be included. Give my intelligence some credit — I'm smarter than that. But that more than likely, the winner of the NESCAC and ECACW is a former national champion now and gets in regardless and probably beats another former national champion to get the automatic bid, barring RIT making a statement this year.

I'd love for it to go out west. But not because they feel bad. Because a team proves worthy. If that team be River Falls this year, that's fine. The more competition the better. All of these arguments over whether the west or east is better mean nothing if they never get the chance to play each other. Maybe the west should get more than one team just so the entire fate of the region is not left with a River Falls or Superior as it was two years ago. The only way to settle is for the west to make a statement against an east team. And a west team hasn't made the title game since 2004...the only time it happened. Say what you want about home ice and this and that, but the teams arrive two days in advance and get at least one practice on the ice they play the FF on. That excuse can only go so far.
          This is a discussion that i've seen on various threads every year since I began reading this forum. I think the real issue is as follows:

There's no question that tournament-worthy teams from the West deserve an opportunity to host, especially when everyone seems to think that traveling East creates such a disadvantage. I approach this from a different angle. Suppose the NCAA was willing to go 4-3 eastern teams with a Western FF. Thus, they would have to fly two Eastern teams West. Or, if they opt to go 4-3 Western teams, also flying two Eastern teams West. In either of those scenarios, here is my question-does the MIAC runner up or NCHA runner up (or both in a 4-3 Western split) deserve to be in the tournament more than the ECAC-W and NESCAC runner ups? Even with a 4-3 Eastern split, between Platty, Elmira, RIT, Amherst, Midd, and Trinity, at least three of those teams would be on the outside looking in. And, in a 4-3 Western split, four of those six teams would be left out. Is the NCHA or MIAC runner up more deserving than all of those teams? When I look at it from that viewpoint I can't help but answer, No, they aren't, at least not this year.

So, we are left with this. If the NCAA truly wanted to have the best field, they could do a 5-2 Eastern split, with 3 Eastern teams flying West. However, we all know the likelihood of that happening, don't we? So, the only fair alternative this year is another Eastern FF.

Comment

Originally posted by spike View Post
            Is the NCHA or MIAC runner up more deserving than all of those teams? When I look at it from that viewpoint I can't help but answer, No, they aren't, at least not this year.
            I don't know how that statement can be made...there is no way of knowing the answer to that question.

Its going to come down to the 2nd place NESCAC(currently Middlebury/Trinity) and the 3rd Place ECAC W team(currently Utica). With a 5-2 split both get in. 4-3 split 1 gets in? Lets say Superior finishes second in the NCHA, Middlebury 2nd in the NESCAC...how can you say Middlebury deserves it over Superior? Would Utica get in over Superior...probably not. The MIAC runner up will not be in the running.

You say the east team should go, because in your mind the east is better then the west. Like was mentioned before...there have been plenty of years where a team equally deserving in the west was left out, because a team in the east got the nod.

There are only a handful of cross region games...most of them involving Adrian, who I have heard a rumor regarding program troubles, and then the Lake Forest games. I really don't think you can base the strength of a whole region on just the outcome of 5-6 games.
            Last edited by gojackets; 01-11-2010, 01:23 PM.
            UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Yes, there are requirements and four locker rooms is a must along with a variety of others too.

There is a full listing on the NCAA page in the Championships hosting handbook if you are interested.

I really think it's going west this year despite what everyone seems to think.

It's an actual rule that unless amended, it HAS to be in the west this year.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

So if that's the case, how about a list of legimate contenders that fulfill the requirements? Hasn't been an issue in the past (on the men's side) to find qualified facilities willing to host out west?
                Steve
                Penn State Class of '95
                Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

So it's the "Final Four", right? The "Frozen Four" is taken, am I correct?

I vote for Lake Forest since they seem to be on major airline/bus routes. Do they have the facilities?

I think it would be a hoot if RIT (by winning ECACW) got to go and the reigning mini-tournament winner(in the recent Panther-Cardinal Classic), Elmira, had to stay home. Trinity might even be representing NESCAC -- think of all the new ntl champion possibilities
                  Illegitimum non carborundum
                  Cartman: Ma'am, the Crack Baby Athletic Association is a storied institution that was founded over twelve days ago.
                  Cartman:Should I admit I was wrong, ask for everyone's forgiveness and go back to my original team? Nah, screw that, I'm just gonna keep being a d**k.
                  Cartman: Screw you sir, I'm going home.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                    Yes, there are requirements and four locker rooms is a must along with a variety of others too.

There is a full listing on the NCAA page in the Championships hosting handbook if you are interested.

Code:
                    The Division III Championships Committee has prioritized the site-selection criteria
                    in the following order for the Division III championships:
                    1. Quality and availability of the facility and other necessary accommodations;
                    2. Geographical location (including such factors as rotation of sites, weather, accessibility
                    and transportation costs);
                    3. Seeding; and
                    4. Attendance history and revenue potential, which shall be considered necessary to assure fiscal responsibility.
                    This is all i can find....is it somewhere else...I was looking in the 2009 Women's D3 Championship Handbook
                    UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Kitty View Post

I vote for Lake Forest since they seem to be on major airline/bus routes. Do they have the facilities?

I think it would be a hoot if RIT (by winning ECACW) got to go and the reigning mini-tournament winner(in the recent Panther-Cardinal Classic), Elmira, had to stay home. Trinity might even be representing NESCAC -- think of all the new ntl champion possibilities
                      If you want to be completely correct it's actually NCAA Division III Women's Ice Hockey Championships

The Frozen Four and Final Four are trademarked with the NCAA and only allowed to be used for the D-I men's and women's tournaments.

Places I know for a fact in the west that could host are:

Superior, Stevens Point, and River Falls.

I'm pretty sure Gustavus and St. Thomas can as well.

Not sure on Lake Forest.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Kitty View Post

If they have the same requirements as the men, I'm guessing not.

Their rink only seats 1500....which I know you are all think is way more than enough. I think their are more MIAC teams that would fit the hosting requirements, but many of them have no chance of being there. Like St. Bens at the National Hockey Center in St Cloud, I know a couple teams play at the Schwann's Cup arena..which would clearly be big enough. I am pretty sure Gustavus meets all the requirements.

Wessman at Superior meets all the requirements, Hunt Arena at RF might, if Stevens Point hosted at their men's rink...that is a small possibility
                        UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

I don't know how that statement can be made...there is no way of knowing the answer to that question.

Its going to come down to the 2nd place NESCAC(currently Middlebury/Trinity) and the 3rd Place ECAC W team(currently Utica). With a 5-2 split both get in. 4-3 split 1 gets in? Lets say Superior finishes second in the NCHA, Middlebury 2nd in the NESCAC...how can you say Middlebury deserves it over Superior? Would Utica get in over Superior...probably not. The MIAC runner up will not be in the running.

You say the east team should go, because in your mind the east is better then the west. Like was mentioned before...there have been plenty of years where a team equally deserving in the west was left out, because a team in the east got the nod.

There are only a handful of cross region games...most of them involving Adrian, who I have heard a rumor regarding program troubles, and then the Lake Forest games. I really don't think you can base the strength of a whole region on just the outcome of 5-6 games.
                          Well, I suppose we could agree to disagree, but please be clear, I am not saying East is better than West. I'd like to think the top 2 Western teams could compete favorably with their Eastern counterparts. What I am saying is that so far this year, the 4th, 5th, and 6th best Eastern teams appear to be more tournament worthy than their Western counterparts. Plus, my analysis didn't even include the possibility that Norwich gets it rolling again as well. If UWS, RF, UST and GAC start rolling, I'll feel differently.

Comment

This is all i can find....is it somewhere else...I was looking in the 2009 Women's D3 Championship Handbook
                            How about this...

*****http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/7320/ncaamemo.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Rennell View Post
                              How about this...

*****http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/7320/ncaamemo.jpg******
                              It is really only a recommendation. I will believe it when I see it.
                              4 & 20 The All-American Sister's
                              SNC 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, & 2018 Mens DIII NCAA Champions & they have Women's Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X