PDA

View Full Version : Battle for the Alumni Cup: UMass v UML, 1/15 and 1/16

Pages : [1] 2

UMLFan
01-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Big weekend for the the sister schools as they play each other at Amherst on Friday night and then at Lowell Saturday. UML and UMass are currently tied for the last home-ice spot in HE, but Lowell has played one less game than UMass. They are both 2 points behind BC (who has also played one more than UMass).

I think the win for UMass yesterday at NU was huge for the team and their fans.

Thoughts?

jjmc85
01-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Which UMass team shows up? The one that gave up touchdowns in consecutive games or the one that thoroughly dominated Northeastern?

If it's the team from last night it will be an awesome series. If it's the other, it'll be ugly.

UMLFan
01-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Which UMass team shows up? The one that gave up touchdowns in consecutive games or the one that thoroughly dominated Northeastern?

If it's the team from last night it will be an awesome series. If it's the other, it'll be ugly.
I think the one thing that scares me as a Lowell fan is if the undisciplined play continues. Lowell's given up 28 power plays in the last four games which isn't normal for a Coach MacDonald team. They've given up 5 goals in those 28 (82.1% kill rate).

Gainzo
01-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Anyone making the trip to Amherst on Friday? I'll most probably be making the trip to the worst arena in Hockey East. I said it.

Between the neanderthal students and Mullins being a crappy place to watch hockey there isn't anything to like about that place.

Scarlet
01-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Between the neanderthal students and Mullins being a crappy place to watch hockey there isn't anything to like about that place.

The ice cream concession is pretty good. :)

Patman
01-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Need all 4 points from this one... plain and simple. Play smart and play hard.... the rest takes care of itself.

MaryK
01-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Anyone making the trip to Amherst on Friday? I'll most probably be making the trip to the worst arena in Hockey East. I said it.

I'm making the trip out.

The students will still be on break I believe. I know Lowell students don't start classes until the 25th.

jjmc85
01-11-2010, 09:43 PM

Classes don't start till Tuesday so you might not have to worry about the students. Heck, it might even look like a game played at Tsongas!

UMLFan
01-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Heck, it might even look like a game played at Tsongas!
Does that mean there won't be constant swearing? ;)

bottomdweller
01-12-2010, 08:33 AM

Always a joke this Monty. No swearing... :p

jjmc85
01-12-2010, 09:49 AM

"might even look" is not equal to "might even sound"

UMLFan
01-12-2010, 11:05 AM
"might even look" is not equal to "might even sound"
I was going to switch your comment around to fit mine, but decided just to leave it as it was. :)

UMLFan
01-14-2010, 08:24 AM
I can just feel the excitement towards this weekend. ;)

justinD
01-14-2010, 10:06 AM
I can just feel the excitement towards this weekend. ;)

Oh...sorry. Maybe we need more smack talk.

AHEM. Crack! Little sister school! 2004 Hockey East Quarter finals!

Honestly, I'm pretty nervous about this weekend; Lowell has been the harder working team the last 10-15 times these teams have played. UMass seems to bring out the best in them, so I'm not feeling real confident about this weekend. As much as winning the season series (for once) would be nice, for the course of the rest of the season, I'll be happy with a split.

UMLFan
01-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Oh...sorry. Maybe we need more smack talk.

AHEM. Crack! Little sister school! 2004 Hockey East Quarter finals!
That's better. :)

Honestly, I'm pretty nervous about this weekend; Lowell has been the harder working team the last 10-15 times these teams have played. UMass seems to bring out the best in them, so I'm not feeling real confident about this weekend. As much as winning the season series (for once) would be nice, for the course of the rest of the season, I'll be happy with a split.
I'm not sure why it seems like Lowell takes the games against UMass more serious (or so it appears from the results). It's strange.

ScottK
01-14-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm not sure why it seems like Lowell takes the games against UMass more serious (or so it appears from the results). It's strange.

Blaise talked about it on the radio show this week. I forget the exact details (maybe boblav can recall), but he said the players are definitely more amped up for these games.

justinD
01-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Blaise talked about it on the radio show this week. I forget the exact details (maybe boblav can recall), but he said the players are definitely more amped up for these games.

There's no doubt that it occurs though.

There must be a bit of the resentment that many of the fans show floating around the team. Even more so a couple of years ago when the threat of losing the team was more immediate. Hopefully that talk is permanently done with, and Lowell can stopped getting so fired up to play UMass!:D
Seriously though, Blaise and his boys have it right...I'd like to see the same sense of urgency out of the Minutemen.

boblav1
01-15-2010, 11:42 AM
CHN article on UMA.
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2010/01/15_umassbuckles.php

Patman
01-15-2010, 11:43 AM
CHN article on UMA.
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2010/01/15_umassbuckles.php

*giggle*

UML
01-15-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm at the Hangar now. These wings aren't as great as they make them out to be.