Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Cloud @ Quinnipiac Jan 15th and 16th: Are we playing the Gophers yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: St. Cloud @ Quinnipiac Jan 15th and 16th: Are we playing the Gophers yet?

Originally posted by wchaforever View Post
    Should I assume that with KA on "vacation" this week, that we won't know who made the trip or what the lineups will be until tonight? Or should I just figure that they are going to go with TB's?
    As much as motzko should do as I say, I can pretty much guarantee that isn't happening.
    I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Why did SCSU stop getting shots on goal after the 1st period? Did the Q get something figured out on D or did SCSU stop skating hard again?
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
        Then bring up the NCAAs I shall.
        Actually you need a F4 appearance to do that.
        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Yeah, that would work if you were in a position to do that.
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Then allow me to bring up The St. Cloud State University 2010 Sweepstakes:

January 2 - 3, 2010 with Brown University = SCSU sweep,
            January 8 - 9, 2010 with Michigan Tech U = SCSU sweep, and
            January 15 - 16, 2010 with Qunnipiac U = SCSU sweep!

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Why did SCSU stop getting shots on goal after the 1st period? Did the Q get something figured out on D or did SCSU stop skating hard again?
              Take it for what's its worth. I am an ECAC fan who was at the game and here is about how it went.

Q Pac came out hitting very hard and hitting anything in red/black and white. Kotyra (the referee) called 3 consecutive hitting to the head penalties against Q Pac followed I think by a tripping call. That gave St. Cloud two very long 5 on 3 man advantages. Q Pac killed off the first but you guys scored on the seocnd one. Q had the momentum at the start but the penalties energized St. Cloud leading to a dominating SOG advantage of 15-4 in the first period.
              In the second and third periods I thought Q Pac controlled play for the most part but quality scoring chances were not there for both teams. St. Cloud blocked a ton of shots which was fortunate as your goalie when shots got through was giving up pretty large rebounds. Your second goal (shortie) came as a result of superior speed. You have a couple of guys who can fly.

I don't think St. Cloud stopped skating as much as it was a tighter checking game with minimal scoring opportunities for both sides. Q Pac did way too much dump and chase and gave up control of the puck. To me your team skated hard all game but Q was equally agressive and the hitting continued throughout the game.

Hepp seemed to be particularly aggitated for your side for most of the game. Not sure if that's the way he always plays or not.

I think tonight will be more wide open and I am guessing a few little grudge battles will carry over into tonight. I could be all wet but I predict higher scoring and more penalties and more SOG for both teams.
              SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                Take it for what's its worth. I am an ECAC fan who was at the game and here is about how it went.

Q Pac came out hitting very hard and hitting anything in red/black and white. Kotyra (the referee) called 3 consecutive hitting to the head penalties against Q Pac followed I think by a tripping call. That gave St. Cloud two very long 5 on 3 man advantages. Q Pac killed off the first but you guys scored on the seocnd one. Q had the momentum at the start but the penalties energized St. Cloud leading to a dominating SOG advantage of 15-4 in the first period.
                In the second and third periods I thought Q Pac controlled play for the most part but quality scoring chances were not there for both teams. St. Cloud blocked a ton of shots which was fortunate as your goalie when shots got through was giving up pretty large rebounds. Your second goal (shortie) came as a result of superior speed. You have a couple of guys who can fly.

I don't think St. Cloud stopped skating as much as it was a tighter checking game with minimal scoring opportunities for both sides. Q Pac did way too much dump and chase and gave up control of the puck. To me your team skated hard all game but Q was equally agressive and the hitting continued throughout the game.

Hepp seemed to be particularly aggitated for your side for most of the game. Not sure if that's the way he always plays or not.

I think tonight will be more wide open and I am guessing a few little grudge battles will carry over into tonight. I could be all wet but I predict higher scoring and more penalties and more SOG for both teams.
                Thoughts:

-Maybe its fleeting, but I like the moniker "Q Pack." Its like six pack. Again, I could hate it in a couple weeks.
                -If you're saying the second goal was due to speed, then I'm gonna credit that to Novak, and not the goalscorer Raboin. Raboin's speed, not his size, is what I have said was gonna keep him out of the NHL. Well, I mean that's what I thought last year when he was playing so much better.
                -Advice: don't tell Skeeter you could be all wet.

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                  Q Pac came out hitting very hard and hitting anything in red/black and white. Kotyra (the referee) called 3 consecutive hitting to the head penalties against Q Pac followed I think by a tripping call. That gave St. Cloud two very long 5 on 3 man advantages.
                  You're saying this like you expect the refs to call a game in the favor of their conference rather than the rules on the books. Were the penalties assessed warranted or baseless?
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

You're saying this like you expect the refs to call a game in the favor of their conference rather than the rules on the books. Were the penalties assessed warranted or baseless?
                    Its funny, I didn't get to listen to tonight's game, I was at work, but was getting text updates. My buddy goes, "Man, they're calling EVERYTHING!" and I was like, "Yeah, well a lot of times WCHA teams get called for a bunch when they're not being officiated by WCHA refs, 'cause they're so used to being allowed to get away with so much clutching and grabbing." So he goes, "No, Q's getting called for them" and I go, "Oh... well probably a knee-jerk reaction to having that much talent and speed on the ice with them."

Comment

• Re: St. Cloud @ Quinnipiac Jan 15th and 16th: Are we playing the Gophers yet?

Were the penalties assessed warranted or baseless?
                      Most were borderline IMO. Personally, if we were playing a league game I don't think they would have been called. At one point last night we commented about the refs making sure everyone knew who was wearing the stripes.
                      Quinnipiac Bobcats
                      2023 National Champions
                      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                      Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                        Most were borderline IMO. Personally, if we were playing a league game I don't think they would have been called. At one point last night we commented about the refs making sure everyone knew who was wearing the stripes.
                        The CTTH calls were borderline, but I wont get too ridiculous about those. The tripping call was absolutely phantom. Just a brutal, brutal call. The kids collided incidentally while skating past each other, there was not a trip in that play.

Comment

I was saying it in the context that "I wish the ECAC refs were more homers" but last night at the start it was like they went out of their way to call things very tightly and against Q Pac.

On the other thread (Quinnipiac thread) I commented about how when we (SLU) travel out of conference the referee's DO favor the home team/conference. Ever played a game at Yost??? I'm sure if you have you'll know what kind of home cooking I'm talking about. I have seen those CCHA refs take games away from visiting out of conference teams.

In summary I lament the fact our refs A. Really aren't all that good...and, B. Don't give us the benefit of the doubt on borderline calls. As for blatant favoritism....see my CCHA comment above.
                          SLU

Comment

I think the SCSU radio guy, Don Lyons, also called that trip a "brutal call." He did think the hits to the head calls were legit, and the Huskies also took one of those.

In the second and third periods, it sounded pretty even.

From the report in the St. Cloud paper from Tom Reale, both your captain and your coach said that Q Pack took too many "stupid" penalties, and that led to the 15-4 shot advantage for the Huskies in the first period, and the 1-0 lead.

You will see our other goalie (they rotate). He is Mike Lee, a freshman. You may have seen/heard about him before--he was 4-0 in the recent World Junior championships when the USA defeated Canada for the gold medal.

Yes, Hepp sometimes gets a little upset. But how did #9 Garrett Roe behave? He often will stir the pot. Otherwise, the Huskies concentrate on good, smart hockey. If the Q wants to get into a special teams game, the Huskies will be ready for that, too.

Comment

Originally posted by The Boomer View Post
                              I think the SCSU radio guy, Don Lyons, also called that trip a "brutal call." He did think the hits to the head calls were legit, and the Huskies also took one of those.
                              The tripping was a brutal call. The SCSU CTH penalty was against Lauridsen... at 6'-6" or whatever he is, casual contact with anyone is CTH! It, too, was borderline at best.

From the report in the St. Cloud paper from Tom Reale, both your captain and your coach said that Q Pack took too many "stupid" penalties, and that led to the 15-4 shot advantage for the Huskies in the first period, and the 1-0 lead.
                              Yeah, those quotes were in our local paper too. I didn't take them as an admission of guilt however.

Yes, Hepp sometimes gets a little upset. But how did #9 Garrett Roe behave? He often will stir the pot.
                              Hepp seemed to be trash talking anyone around him. I didn't notice Roe doing anything.
                              Quinnipiac Bobcats
                              2023 National Champions
                              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                              Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                                The tripping was a brutal call. The SCSU CTH penalty was against Lauridsen... at 6'-6" or whatever he is, casual contact with anyone is CTH! It, too, was borderline at best.
                                Agree with both of these. Thought the Q might have gotten away with six at the same time as the Hepp penalty, which was probably the most legit one of the night.
                                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Working...
                                X