Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread : The Sequel

Originally posted by VermontFan View Post
    Looked at the roster last night during the game, and noticed that Atkinson is no longer listed. Looks like we will not see him back this year.
    As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, Atkinson's taken an indefinte leave of absence to resolve a personal matter.

Seems like he's pretty much a total flameout. I remember a couple (or a few???) years back when Atkinson was sitting out because of his injury, there was talk that he was going to be our savior. There were comments on here like: "Wow, we're doing this without Atkinson." "Just think what we'll be like when we get Atkinson." Etc., etc. What happened?

Comment

Yup, dissapointing loss last night. Cats couldn't give themselves some breathing room when they had the chance and it came back to bite them. Someone mentioned they didn't think NU played well. I'll have to disagree. Their goals weren't particularly spectacular, but they capitalized on the opportunities they were given. Defensively, they were great from the second period on. It just didn't seem like there was ever any open ice in the Cats' offensive zone. Their best scoring chances came early in the game and after that they were shut down. The better team definitely won last night, and that was NU.
      Last edited by UVM Cat in Texas; 01-16-2010, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
        As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, Atkinson's taken an indefinte leave of absence to resolve a personal matter.

Seems like he's pretty much a total flameout. I remember a couple (or a few???) years back when Atkinson was sitting out because of his injury, there was talk that he was going to be our savior. There were comments on here like: "Wow, we're doing this without Atkinson." "Just think what we'll be like when we get Atkinson." Etc., etc. What happened?
        That injury he suffered was effectively career ending, it was very serious. There was an article in the Free Press a few years after the injury and it talked about how his shoulder strength never recovered to what it was pre injury.

Comment

Here's the story for the Lenz kid.

http://www.ushl.com/news/story.cfm?id=2960
          Originally posted by Hokydad
          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post

My post was meant to expand upon, rather than duplicate the prior message. My interpretation of an indefinite leave of absence would mean he would still be a rostered player. Instead, he was taken off the roster, much like Josh Franklin was earlier in the year when he quit the team. Hope to see Chris back next year.
            Last edited by VermontFan; 01-16-2010, 01:52 PM.

Comment

After an evening of worry, the sun did come up this morning, even if we can't exactly see it clearly, so that's good. And then we get the wonderful news of soon-to-be 21 year old HT Lenz choosing to play collegiately for the Catamounts. Is the irony of a player named 'Lenz' following our very own Lenes, pronounced 'Len-z' per last year's UVM Hockey website, wasted only on me?

So, now, when I can't see the sun, I can see our all-Des Moines Buccaneers line of Connor Brickley and HT Lenz and former Buccaneer and high school/midget star Matt White stepping in as this year's Swedish Connection freshman unit. After last night's abomination, I need some optimism and now to have 3 Buccaneers, well 2 1/2, gives me that 'glass half full' outlook I have been so sadly lacking.

It sounds like my new 'glass half full' outlook will help some of fellow fans who are down, seeing the Catamounts' glass as half empty. The glass is half full because you can't blame Sneddon for anything, not for not having the team ready to play, not for the lull of the 2nd period and the nothingness of the
              3rd period, not for being responsible for changing the spirit, the systems, something. So we got great coaching and that's glass 'half full' stuff.

But the (new) optimist in me looks forward to what Sneddon might do to change things up, and you know he's not likely to let an opportunity to coach the ****** out of this team get away. If changes occur, what will they be, let's try to think along with the coach. If a change is made at forward, will it be somebody - experienced old standby and 1st PK unit guy Jay Anctil, local boy Ben Albertson, the lost-again Brett Leonard??????? - in for Wahs Stacey? I would always hope a change might involve someone other than Wahs, ie., removing the speedy but not yet productive Matt Marshall or the benign Johnathan Higgins, but the coach certainly knows how to write a lineup without #9 in it and seems almost incapable of writing one without #17 in it. I watch a fair amount of college hockey and have not yet seen a player on any PP unit with 3 points in 19 games. Yep, if a forward must be taken out of the lineup, I'm guessing Wahs Stacey. My second guess - Justin Milo.

If a defenseman has to go, it almost goes without saying that it will be Josh Burrows or Dan Lawson. For whatever statistics are coincidentally worth, Burrows was not on for any goals against last night while Lawson (0g-0a, -11)collected an average -1 for his part in Northeastern's deflating 1st goal in the 1st minute of the 2nd period. Man, I wish we knew coach Sneddon's magic 10things that guarantee wins, and why this team violates every cardinal rule the sport has ever known with the only fear being that Burrows or Lawson will be benched. Burrows or Lawson?

Sneddon will do something brilliant and then if the team wins, will explain how his moves made all the difference. He's pretty humble and self-effacing that way.

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post
                After an evening of worry, the sun did come up this morning, even if we can't exactly see it clearly, so that's good. And then we get the wonderful news of soon-to-be 21 year old HT Lenz choosing to play collegiately for the Catamounts. Is the irony of a player named 'Lenz' following our very own Lenes, pronounced 'Len-z' per last year's UVM Hockey website, wasted only on me?

So, now, when I can't see the sun, I can see our all-Des Moines Buccaneers line of Connor Brickley and HT Lenz and former Buccaneer and high school/midget star Matt White stepping in as this year's Swedish Connection freshman unit. After last night's abomination, I need some optimism and now to have 3 Buccaneers, well 2 1/2, gives me that 'glass half full' outlook I have been so sadly lacking.

It sounds like my new 'glass half full' outlook will help some of fellow fans who are down, seeing the Catamounts' glass as half empty. The glass is half full because you can't blame Sneddon for anything, not for not having the team ready to play, not for the lull of the 2nd period and the nothingness of the
                3rd period, not for being responsible for changing the spirit, the systems, something. So we got great coaching and that's glass 'half full' stuff.

But the (new) optimist in me looks forward to what Sneddon might do to change things up, and you know he's not likely to let an opportunity to coach the ****** out of this team get away. If changes occur, what will they be, let's try to think along with the coach. If a change is made at forward, will it be somebody - experienced old standby and 1st PK unit guy Jay Anctil, local boy Ben Albertson, the lost-again Brett Leonard??????? - in for Wahs Stacey? I would always hope a change might involve someone other than Wahs, ie., removing the speedy but not yet productive Matt Marshall or the benign Johnathan Higgins, but the coach certainly knows how to write a lineup without #9 in it and seems almost incapable of writing one without #17 in it. I watch a fair amount of college hockey and have not yet seen a player on any PP unit with 3 points in 19 games. Yep, if a forward must be taken out of the lineup, I'm guessing Wahs Stacey. My second guess - Justin Milo.

If a defenseman has to go, it almost goes without saying that it will be Josh Burrows or Dan Lawson. For whatever statistics are coincidentally worth, Burrows was not on for any goals against last night while Lawson (0g-0a, -11)collected an average -1 for his part in Northeastern's deflating 1st goal in the 1st minute of the 2nd period. Man, I wish we knew coach Sneddon's magic 10things that guarantee wins, and why this team violates every cardinal rule the sport has ever known with the only fear being that Burrows or Lawson will be benched. Burrows or Lawson?

Sneddon will do something brilliant and then if the team wins, will explain how his moves made all the difference. He's pretty humble and self-effacing that way.
                I'm glad we didn't get your glass half empty analysis!

Comment

Originally posted by VermontFan View Post
                  My post was meant to expand upon, rather than duplicate the prior message. My interpretation of an indefinite leave of absence would mean he would still be a rostered player. Instead, he was taken off the roster, much like Josh Franklin was earlier in the year when he quit the team. Hope to see Chris back next year.
                  Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but I assumed his "personal matter" was unhappiness with ice time or his role on the team, particularly since they said his taking time off was mutually agreed upon. I mean, if it was a personal matter like his mother or father was dying, there wouldn't be a need for mutual agreement. He would just go and do what he needs to do.

Whatever happened, I agree, I hope he comes back.

Comment

UVM just needs to win each season series and they are in. So far they have kept that up with the series that are finished. 2-1 BC and NE...now they need a 4 game winning streak...

Comment

Great game Saturday obviously. Probably helped considerably by NU goaltending and defense taking the night off. It sure was fun!

So, they passed the litmus test of whether they could respond. But still a bummer to give up those two badly needed points on Friday.

Can't really figure out how they can play so badly one night and so well the next, but let's hope we see more of the Saturday performance for the balance of the season.

Congrats to Irwin on a hat trick!

Lenz sure has stepped up his point numbers from last year to this year, but kind of a scary -19. Amazing to have 32 points in 33 games and be a -19. Wow. Hopefully he can convert those offensive numbers in HE the next four years.

Would be interesting to know what other schools were chasing him.

It is nice that UVM has won the two season series that have been decided - but I think they will be hard pressed to win them all. They have Maine, Mack, UNH and UMASS all with a game up on them already..... They would be lucky to split those series' - particularly having to play two at UNH and two at UMASS.

They must figure out a way to get 2 or more points this coming weekend to keep the top 5 teams within striking distance for a home ice slot.

Comment

Nice rebound on the weekend by the Cats.

Irwin and Milo continue to put up points which is good to see. Also to see Roos and Stalberg get on the score sheet.

Rest of the season looks like this

at Massachusetts
                        at Massachusetts
                        Fri 29 Maine
                        Sat 30 Maine
                        Fri 5 at Providence
                        Sat 6 at Providence
                        Fri 12 Merrimack
                        Sat 13 Merrimack
                        Fri 19 at New Hampshire
                        Sat 20 at New Hampshire
                        Fri 26 Boston University
                        Sun 28 Boston University
                        Fri 5 at UMass-Lowell
                        Sat 6 at UMass-Lowell

The two at UMA will be tough games, UMA continues to win games. They have in the past had some slumps after hot starts, but currently they seem to playing good hockey. A split would be nice.

Then two at home against ME, which is a bit of a crapshoot, ME has been playing well and seemingly found a groove with a great holiday tourney. But then dropped two this weekend due at least in part to the loss of Foster. I have to think that injury will largely dictate the outcome of this weekend series, but regardless UVM needs to take advantage of home ice.

Providence took 4 points this weekend, with wins of BU and ME, to break a 6 game losing streak. Regardless of the fact this is a road game, UVM needs 4 points against PC.

MC, played well early on but has since come back into what maybe considered more typical play from them. At home UVM should take 4.

Two at UNH, unless something happens to UNH and/or UVM really gets hot, this looks like a bad weekend to me, coupled with UNH's dominance of UVM this is likely to be a tough one.

BU at the Gutt for two is going to be crucial. BU is all over the place and has shown flashes of being a top team but then they have those games that just make it really hard to believe they are less then a year away from a NC.

Then a fitting finish to the season with two against UML. This should be a big weekend for both teams the way things seem to be playing out. WHile UML seems to be defensively sound as expected the Offense has been sporadic, leading to a 4-7-1 record in their last 12 games. This series is a long way off, but it will be interesting to see where each team is and how this one plays out.

Either way I'm thinking somewhere near 8-6 to finish out the season is realistic and hopefully a bit better then that.

And also to hide this in a long post, just of note with the 9-2 blowout UVM's two top scorers are Irwin at 1.05 ppg, and Miloe at 1.28 ppg. Just as a comparison, VIK averaged 1.18 ppg last year. The unfounded fear that UVM could not replace that, was exactly that. And no grantfan I do not think that makes either of them Hobey candidates.

Comment

Well, while I do not think Saturday's performance makes Brayden Irwin a viable Walter Brown Award candidate, it certainly thrusts him right back into Hobey Baker consideration. If Northeastern had any chance of coming back in Saturday's game, Irwin's 2 3rd period tallies ended those thoughts.

It's getting a little late in the season to be "hoping" to see more of the Saturday night Catamounts instead of the Friday night Catamounts, they have to start showing who the heck they are.

So, Wahs Stacey and Burrows came flying out of the lineup. I didn't see that coming. Sneddon seems to be getting quite comfortable yanking those 2 young men. At least he can point out the genius of the moves by Satunday's result. Man, is he a smart guy. I like the BS explanation on the Stacey 'decision.'

On new recruit Lenz, there are several good reasons to not be concerned about the -19 rating that accompanies his point-per-game production as a 20 year old. First, Sneddon is currently recruiting great offensive players who he can teach to play defense. Second, maybe Lenz's team sucks, excluding UVM recruit Connor Brickley, of course. Third, what's a -19 compared to recruit Anthony DeCenzo's -41 of last season? Ironically speaking, DeCenzo also illustrates what happens when an offensive player with a high minus concentrates on his defense, the points go down, too. Which makes sense, because they were obviously good at playing offense without playing defense; playing offense AND defense is like a new sport to players like that. Lenz will be fine and, with all due respect to Matt White, may turn out to be UVM's best player for 4 years. We'll see when he skates at the Gutt.

I do like the Irwin-Vock-Milo line. Vock is just a fantastic passer who creates great chances for players. It was nice to see him find Milo in dangerous spots. And Milo's pass to Irwin in the 3rd period was beautiful, through a couple of defenders, right on time and on Irwin's tape. That line looks like it could be a force. Therefore, I have to worry that Sneddon will break it up for some perfectly brilliant reason.

In a 9-2 blowout, nothing from Matt Marshall, Johnathan Higgins, and Jay Anctil. I know, I know, they shut down Northeastern's 4th line, except for Marshall's -1, but come on. Is there a rule that the 4th line can't score or is it just that the 4th line can't score? If it's just that these players can't score, and I am more convinced than ever that Higgins will finish the season with no less than 7 goals, then why can't Brett Leonard play and why isn't freshman Ben Albertson getting a chance instead of graduating players? Leonard is the one player who has ever come in and made an impact. So he took a bad major penalty against UNH. If a bad major penalty was fatal, Brayden Irwin would have been gone years ago. Sneddon is an idiot to not let Brett Leonard back in the lineup when he makes these silly, meaningless coaching moves.

I think Sneddon has one good player too many for him to manage. He seems unable to find spots for Chris McCarthy and Wahs Stacey in the same lineup, so he sits them in favor of, well.... What a tough predicament. Matt Marshall plays and plays and plays and Wahs sits and sits and sits.

Saturday's game was fun but sort of meaningless. Unless the team starts playing like that on a regular basis. A big weekend coming at UMass. Winnable games in a tough place to play. My snwbrdr cliche for the coming week: the Catamounts don't have to sweep UMass, they only have to win one game on Saturday night and then they only have to win one game on Sunday afternoon.
                          Last edited by grantfan; 01-18-2010, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Well, while I do not think Saturday's performance makes Brayden Irwin a viable Walter Brown Award candidate, it certainly thrusts him right back into Hobey Baker consideration.
                            Hey Grantfan, what do you think it will take from Irwin to be a viable Walter Brown candidate

If a bad major penalty was fatal, Brayden Irwin would have been gone years ago. Sneddon is an idiot to not let Brett Leonard back in the lineup.
                            If a bad penalty isn't reason to bench someone forever (see your Hobey pick) then the reason Leonard isn't playing has to be due to another reason.

Comment

It is nice to see some comments finally after Saturday's nice victory. It seems as if we Vermont fans (myself included) have no problem finding fault with losses but after a win (probably a 10 in the scoring system...) we are either in disbelief or too busy to check in.

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                              Hey Grantfan, what do you think it will take from Irwin to be a viable Walter Brown candidate
                              Perhaps he will produce a birth certificate that shows he actually was born in one of the New England states...similar to the probability that Obama will produce a birth certificate that shows he actually was born in Hawaii.

In a 9-2 blowout, nothing from Matt Marshall, Johnathan Higgins, and Jay Anctil. I know, I know, they shut down Northeastern's 4th line, except for Marshall's -1, but come on. Is there a rule that the 4th line can't score or is it just that the 4th line can't score? If it's just that these players can't score, and I am more convinced than ever that Higgins will finish the season with no less than 7 goals, then why can't Brett Leonard play and why isn't freshman Ben Albertson getting a chance instead of graduating players? Leonard is the one player who has ever come in and made an impact. So he took a bad major penalty against UNH. If a bad major penalty was fatal, Brayden Irwin would have been gone years ago. Sneddon is an idiot to not let Brett Leonard back in the lineup when he makes these silly, meaningless coaching moves.

I think Sneddon has one good player too many for him to manage. He seems unable to find spots for Chris McCarthy and Wahs Stacey in the same lineup, so he sits them in favor of, well.... What a tough predicament. Matt Marshall plays and plays and plays and Wahs sits and sits and sits.
                              They may not be able to score but they are photogentic. Both the BFP and the UVM website show both Marshall and Higgins exhibiting good form. Style over substance...
                              Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                                If a bad penalty isn't reason to bench someone forever (see your Hobey pick) then the reason Leonard isn't playing has to be due to another reason.
                                Leonard has 4 penaties in 8 games and thats with 4th line playing time. While Higgins who has played in 17 games and played very well defensively has only 2 penalties.

While Vermont doesnt have a sure 20 goal guy they do have balance with 8 players with at least 5. And we are starting to see the freshman line coming together.

Glad to see Vazzano get into a real(not exib)game and he now is in the books with a 100% save percentage. Was great to see all the players around him at the end of the game acting like he just got a shutout. And the save was a good one too.

Stacey from wht I hear has a nagging injury, while I believe Franzon was planned on playing Sat all along.
                                New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Working...
                                X