Skeets > *

Me = * :D

RedFreak
01-07-2010, 10:28 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/11/sports/hockey/11harvard.html

Just sayin'.

Skeeterman
01-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Nothing on ineptitude on google. I think I created the word, right after Al Gore and I created the internet.

Stauber1
01-07-2010, 11:19 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/11/sports/hockey/11harvard.html

Just sayin'.

Best quote in that piece:
Its a shame because were getting away from the real meaning of athletics being a part of the educational process, Cleary said, his voice rising in frustration, and it bothers me. Im not sure its the right thing. In fact, I know its the wrong thing. Were getting away from what college athletics is all about. Its a joke.

LynahFan
01-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Its a shame because were getting away from the real meaning of athletics being a part of the educational process, Cleary said, his voice rising in frustration, and it bothers me. Im not sure its the right thing. In fact, I know its the wrong thing. Were getting away from what college athletics is all about. Its a joke.
Really? 'Cause I liked the part about how this year's freshmen were supposed to turn the team around... :D :eek:

Puck Swami
01-07-2010, 12:42 PM
“It’s a shame because we’re getting away from the real meaning of athletics being a part of the educational process,” Cleary said, his voice rising in frustration, “and it bothers me. I’m not sure it’s the right thing. In fact, I know it’s the wrong thing. We’re getting away from what college athletics is all about. It’s a joke.”

I love Cleary's idealism, I really do. He's a great man, and legend of our game.

But that toothpaste is out of the tube already and has been for years. I think that big time D-I athletics in revenue sports has morphed from a part of the educational process to a pre-professional training ground in and of itself, much as a college education has advanced from a luxury for the rich few to a pre-professional training ground today.

In Cleary's college days in the mid 1950s, 10% of Americans went to college, and Harvard was mostly an exclusive WASP bastion for men, and Harvard Hockey was a game played for serious fun by prep school grads. For most Harvard players of that era, Harvard and perhaps the Olympics was as good it got for a Harvard player.

Today, 65% of Americans are going to college, and Harvard has been transformed into much better school and more of a meritocracy for all different types of smart people, most training for their careers. And Harvard Hockey has evolved to effectively train a player for professional hockey, just as the B-school can prepare effective executives and the Divinity school trains effective clergy.

We're not going back to feel good era of the malt shop, letter sweaters and sock-hops. We have D-III and Club hockey for that. Harvard students are serious about their futures in all areas, and I have no problem with that extending to hockey players, either.

RedFreak
01-07-2010, 01:30 PM

Hey, at least the Harvard players write their own term papers.

Greyeagle
01-07-2010, 05:05 PM

And buy their own shoes.

RedFreak
01-07-2010, 05:10 PM
And buy their own shoes.

:)

ScoobyDoo
01-07-2010, 05:14 PM
And buy their own shoes.

*zinger*

Ba-dum-dum

Dirty
01-07-2010, 05:24 PM
We're not going back to feel good era of the malt shop, letter sweaters and sock-hops. We have D-III and Club hockey for that. Harvard students are serious about their futures in all areas, and I have no problem with that extending to hockey players, either.

I'm going to the next St. Johns game! I love malts, letter sweaters and sock-hops!

Greyeagle
01-07-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm going to the next St. Johns game! I love malts, letter sweaters and sock-hops!

Jughead has spoken!

bothman
01-07-2010, 05:32 PM

and that's how I sold my wife on joining me for the games this weekend....I'm in trouble now...;)

Red Cloud
01-07-2010, 05:35 PM

That's debatable. Ask Kyle Richter. Unless I missed the sarcasm.

alslammerz
01-08-2010, 06:26 PM
We're here above Mariucci Arena getting ready for our broadcast. Our pregame will start 7:45 EST and will feature some player and coach quotes. Tune in... 95.3FM and whrb.org (hi and low bandwidth streams available).

MinnesotaNorthStar
01-08-2010, 07:42 PM
FSN seems to think 1989 happened...they're doing a piece on it. ;)

state of hockey
01-08-2010, 07:54 PM
I know 1989 happened, and I was 5 when it did. It was the game started my obsession with hockey, and Gopher hockey in particular. That game was amazing.

StateOfGophers
01-08-2010, 07:57 PM
FSN seems to think 1989 happened...they're doing a piece on it. ;)
Yeah but this is the same FSN which believes HD is a fad and continues to broadcast sports which look like they were produced in the 50s.

Bakunin
01-08-2010, 07:57 PM
But that toothpaste is out of the tube already and has been for years.
MN plays Harvard not Colgate. :p

MinnesotaNorthStar
01-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Yeah but this is the same FSN which believes HD is a fad and continues to broadcast sports which look like they were produced in the 50s.Touche....:)