St.Michael's Holiday Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St.Michael's Holiday Tournament

The St.Michael's Holiday tournament starts today in Burlington, VT. The four teams entered all appear to be struggling and near (or at) the bottom of their respective conference. My predictions:

1. Colby ~ best record going in at an overall 2-3-3
    2. Plymouth ~ at 0-8-0 ...it's a gut feeling
    3. St Michaels ~ at 1-9-0 ...could take second
    4. Chatham ~ 0-8-1 don't hold much hope for improvement this season

Anyone going to the games who can provide score updates?
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Re: St.Michael's Holiday Tournament

I agree on Colby #1
    I see St. Mike's at #2
    then Chatham #3
    and Plymouth #4

I am still rejoicing in Plymouth's one win last year, but it doesn't look like they have it in them this year (...yet).

I'd get over there, but it is snowing and it should be a mob scene with the Bantam International Tournament going on too. Perhaps I'll text my Purple Knight dad and see if he can update.
    "The great State of Vermont will not apologize for its cheese!"
    -- Thank You For Smoking

Comment

Originally posted by Phil D. Stands View Post
      I agree on Colby #1
      I see St. Mike's at #2
      then Chatham #3
      and Plymouth #4

I am still rejoicing in Plymouth's one win last year, but it doesn't look like they have it in them this year (...yet).

I'd get over there, but it is snowing and it should be a mob scene with the Bantam International Tournament going on too. Perhaps I'll text my Purple Knight dad and see if he can update.
      I hope Plymouth well, it looks like my D will be playing for them next year. She likes what the coach is trying to do with the girls this year, but I agree with you, I don't think that they have it in them this year. But, I do know that they have been at practice all week long so hay might as well cheer for the underdog right! Go PSU!
      Games are on Fast Hockey.com if anyone is interested
      Last edited by posttopost2; 01-02-2010, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Game #1 -- Chatham v. Plymouth -- Chatham up 5-0 in the second period. Just not the Panthers day, I guess.
        "The great State of Vermont will not apologize for its cheese!"
        -- Thank You For Smoking

Comment

8-0 final...shots were probably about 65-15 Chatham if I were guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
            8-0 final...shots were probably about 65-15 Chatham if I were guessing.
            I"m assuming this is the biggest butt-whoopin by Chatham in their history??
            UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
            NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
            Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Good to hear Chatham got a big win. Hope this carries over to future games and gives the team confidence. The coach is well liked and they need a break. A shame it had to come at the expense of Plymouth.
              There is no right way to do the wrong thing.

U19AAAA Forever!

Comment

I am truly surprised by Chatham's win. Congratulations girls!

Comment

Interesting Icemom. Why so surprised that a team that tied Utica and played tough with Elmira and Plattsburgh would beat a team that's been blown out in nearly every game they've played? Is it time to bury your hatchet yet or are the backhanded swipes going to continue?

Comment

By the way St Mikes 5 Colby 3 final score

Comment

Chatham pots three goals in the 2nd to take a 3-2 lead on colby thru the end of 2 periods. Truly surprising.

Comment

do they do a shoot out to break the tie? or is it just a tie game?
                        UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

WIrinkrat ~ what is so nice about this forum is that people can say what they think and some people take offense to what is said, some don't. some speak the truth and some think they know others better than they do. I am curious what this hatchet is you think I have that needs to be buried. I have been a Chatham supporter for years, when things were going much worse than they are now, when everyone (and I mean everyone) was down on them. Before this coach, when week after week they came up short. And over the years I have taken plenty of c**p for sticking up for the Chatham girls who went out there and gave it their all. And since I have the right to say whatever I think, I am surprised that in the 5 years I have been following Chatham hockey what I have not seen is true improvement. Other teams have had bad seasons and come back a year later and show measurable improvement. Yes, Chatham had a really good year (relatively speaking) last year when they finished 4-14-0 in conference play...and I am only talking conference play. the numbers don't lie:

05-06 0-12-0
                          06-07 0-13-1
                          07-08 1-15-0
                          08-09 4-14-0
                          09-10 0-7-1 so far this year

So I guess my question is this....what is it going to take for Chatham to be competative with the rest of the conference? What is it going to take for Chatham to retain players? I know a couple left this year, one graduates this year and I heard a couple more are planning on leaving at the end of this school year.

Just my two cents....

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                            Interesting Icemom. Why so surprised that a team that tied Utica and played tough with Elmira and Plattsburgh would beat a team that's been blown out in nearly every game they've played? Is it time to bury your hatchet yet or are the backhanded swipes going to continue?
                            not nice to pick on Mom....my guess is that its not surprising they won, but that they won so convincingly. Chatham has never put up 8 goals before in NCAA competition, and have only shut out 1 team in their history...they've never won by that many goals before. This was probably the best weekend in Chatham history as they were able to compete and "get points" in both games. They've never won/tied both games on a weekend before...so in a way it is surprising to see.

They seem to be more competitive with the upper teams this year. I expect them to win 3 or 4 games in their buff state, oswego, potsdam stretch...but somethng needs to be done to get them over the hump to beat a good team. No offense prez with calling oswego a not-good team
                            UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Icemom, perhaps that is the problem. For years when your daughter was there you supported the program and never had a bad word to say about anything. Suddenly she decides to not play this year, for reasons which are her own and I know nothing about, which is immaterial to this discussion. However, since that time, your comments towards the team could at best be considered backhanded compliments, usually with some sort of semi positive note at the end to make them seem less so.

"I'm truly surprised by their win, but congratulations" (jackets, you can say its the score she's talking about, but she picked Plymouth to win the game)

Your other posts have condemned their recruiting efforts, stated that you thought they were the worst team in the league this year (attributing it to the loss of "experienced players" of which at the time there were I believe only 2 who barely even played last year not coming back), and completely shredded the head coach in a now extinct series of posts about the former assistant coach leaving to move into a new job.

When the team was carrying like 7 players and 10 had quit you were still supporting Coach Wintrup and saying to give her time because she was going to get it done. Now the team is better than it has ever been, and you find any chance to take shots at them. The fact you can say you have seen no true improvement in 5 years of watching Chatham hockey is absolutely laughable. Ask the coaches of the other teams in the league if there is an improvement. I think you'd get a pretty resounding "yes" from them.

Try building a team that hadn't won in like what, six years or something? At a small all girls school in Pittsburgh where there is virtually no local talent pool to recruit from. The fact that they are where they are at today is frankly kind of amazing and when they have 4 recruiting cycles in, instead of two, then you can analyze your numbers all you want. Winning 4 league games last year was a huge step. Having no wins this year is misleading considering they have played Utica, Plattsburgh, Elmira, and Cortland.

You want further improvement? Let's compare apples to apples. In 2006-2007, the first year I believe your daughter played, Utica, Plattsburgh, Elmira, and Cortland beat Chatham by a combined score of 65-5. Chatham was outshot 477-94 in these games (5 to 1).

in 09-10, with only 2 recruiting classes in, Chatham has lost to these same teams by a combined score of 31-8 and has only been outshot by a margin of 345-172 (2 to 1).

Like you said, the numbers don't lie.

I could go on all day if I had to. Your support for Chatham when nobody else wanted to support them here is undeniable and certainly admirable. However it is obvious that since your daughter quit playing you have become far more negative in your comments towards the program. Deny it if you wish, call it an honest assessment or whatever, but your comments aren't rooted in any fact, and when compared to your overly positive analysis in the past, it shows that you clearly have an axe to grind with someone, for some reason that I do not pretend to know.

Finally, as to your last comment, which you seem to have made a lot this year about retaining players. Come on, seriously? You want them to build a competitive program, but you don't think they are going to lose players in the process? Kids that used to play a larger role and now find themselves getting less ice time? You can't have it both ways. The kids who have quit have largely been upperclassmen who were at best role players. The kids they have brought in and actually recruited to help build the program are still there, and are still playing at a higher level than any Chatham program ever did prior to the last year and a half.

You are right, you are entitled to your opinion and to keep posting it on this thread. Just as I am entitled to mine. Everyone else can agree with whoever they choose.
                              Last edited by WIrinkrat; 01-03-2010, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X