Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Alaska Airlines Governor's Cup: The 'Banks vs. The 'Rage

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    One more obsession to blame on Dr. Steve Cobb.
    Lol, hopefully some of you Anchortown folk will be @ the BBALL GAME TONIGHT!!!
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by Methodical View Post
      Kind of off topic, but It really burns me that more than anything, anchorage wants a new arena when what they really need are better academics.
      Isn’t the Patty Center the second Hockey building built for UA_?
      Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
      UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

you going to the game Friday? If so lets meet up for a .....ah......beverage
        Not 100% sure yet, I hope to though. I will definitely be at the Saturday game up north.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Isn’t the Patty Center the second Hockey building built for UA_?
          Patty Center was built in the 70's. The hockey team still uses the rink for practices (until a refrigeration leak shut it down a couple weeks ago). The University added on the Student Rec Center sometime in the 90's, which is adjoined to the Patty. I'd venture to say it (Patty Center) was built about the same time as the WFSC. The Carlson Center opened in '91 or so, and I believe the 'Nooks moved in when we joined the CCHA a year or two later.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            Yes exactly. UAA gets zero support from the UA regents and the one person who tried to change things was forced out.
            the majority of all UA construction in recent years has gone to anchorage. I'd say that means the regents support the UAA campus very well. I agree, they obviously aren't pushing highly for a sports arena. The regents don't think the sports programs carry the same value as higher education, evidenced by both campus' small programs and meager facilities, for ALL sports.
            The Alaska Airlines Governors cup is where it belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by Methodical View Post
              the majority of all UA construction in recent years has gone to anchorage.
              Such as?
              Originally Posted by aparch
              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                Such as?
                http://www.uaa.alaska.edu/fpc/projec...ction-2009.pdf

And don't forget you're also getting a new health sciences building for the nursing program.

If any campus in the UA system should be whining about the lack of new construction, it's UAS.

For comparisons sake, I think the Life Sciences Building is the first significant new building at UAF in about 20 years (I think what is now the Reichardt Building was the last one, either that or the arctic sciences facility on the West Ridge that was funded in large part by the Japanese).
                Last edited by Squarebanks; 02-24-2010, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by the U of Not Fairbanks View Post
                  UA_ jumped up to number 11 in the PWR, so the Gov Cup could decide UA_'s faith in getting an at large bid in the NCAA's. Just food for thought.
                  Beating UAA probably won't help in the PWR unless somebody in front of us stumbles.

Even at #11 we're still a long shot. Unless we luck into a first round bye, our next four (or five) games are UAA (not a TUC) and one of the CCHA bottomfeeders (Western MI or BG). To make it in we'd realistically have to at least split or sweep Anchorage, win the first two rounds of the CCHA playoffs and probably win a semifinal game in Detroit.

Comment

Such as?
                    Integrated Science Building, East campus parking garage & food building, Preliminary work for the Health Sciences building. Those are current projects, not including things such as facility modifications or road construction (which is a huge list that dwarfs UAFs).

Recent projects include: ANSEP building, transportation research building, and a bunch of tiny stuff that is irrelevant anyway.

The biggies are the integrated science building, and the health sciences building. Two large projects. UAF has no other projects on tap. Last UAF project was the BiRD facility in 07, with a smaller budget than either the ISB or health sciences building.

So in my opinion, the regents are actively working on making UAA a better school. campus is getting the facilities they need as they can use them. But the regents would rather fund classrooms and labs than sport venues.
                    The Alaska Airlines Governors cup is where it belongs.

Comment

Such as?
                      I believe the figure is somewhere around 80% of University construction funding has gone to UAA over the last ten years. Snip-its from a community perspective by Brian Rogers, University of Alaska Fairbanks Chancellor.

“...For the last two decades, most of the state’s investment in higher education has been in Anchorage: the University of Alaska Anchorage library, the UAA parking garage, the UAA integrated science building, the UAA health science building.

I don’t begrudge Anchorage the money, as it needs and deserves a good university. So does Fairbanks. It’s time for our state to invest in UAF.

Let’s take a look at some of the new buildings that have gone up on the Fairbanks campus during the past 15 years.

• We built the Biological Research and Diagnostics Building and the West Ridge Research Building — mostly with university-generated revenue.

• We built the UA Museum of the North — mostly with private contributions and some state money.

• We built the Student Recreation Center — with student fees.

• We completed the Akasofu Building, which houses the International Arctic Research Center — mostly with Japanese funds.

• We upgraded Poker Flat Research Range — with federal funds.

While we are proud of these accomplishments, it has been years since the state has invested heavily in facilities at UAF...”

But carry on. Forums exist so both sides of a story can be told, just not the one supported by facts.

Comment

Originally posted by the U of Not Fairbanks View Post
                        I...A little longer? UA_ is 48-80-11 against UAA all time, so what your saying that in the next 16 years, UA_ will beat UAA every game(16 years on a 2 game schedule) and that is considered little longer? I will wait for hell to freeze over first.
                        Figured we’d drop one every once in a while so I was thinking maybe twenty years was more realistic. But when it happens, the team will be skating around the Sully with the Cup, taunting the thirty-eight C-Woof fans in attendance, dodging the sewage dripping from the ceiling pipes, scanning the empty mustard yellow seats for Nook fans, and gazing up past the Ace’s championship banners to that vintage flat panel lcd screen, where the old dead guy still sings the national anthem.

The Nooks will be in a hurry to get to the airport and catch their chartered jet back to Fairbanks. It happens that their visionary state of the art research facility, the Hamilton Complex, almost fifteen years old by then, brought in more funding then ever imagined, and continues to be the crown jewel of the university system and the flagship campus.

The only thing you’ll hear above the cheering Nook fans is the shrill scream of some old lady claiming the C-Woofs got screwed by the refs. And some grumpy old fart in a C-Wolf sweater in the Pioneer Home will be banned from the TV room for life. The end.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Ok, enough of battling over funding and basketball. Puck drops in less than 48 hours. Here's my crack analysis and prediction.

Nanooks: 'Nooks have played well since the 5-0 debacle against Miami. In the last 8 games (not counting the BS shootouts in the CCHA, which is an entirely different discussion), we came back twice on NMU on the road in Marquette in an arena that is a notorious black hole for our program (tied the first game and lost the second 3-2, but were down 3-0 at one point), beat and tied #12 Michigan State, beat and tied Ohio State in Columbus, and swept Lake Superior State at home last week, posting 9 goals in doing so last weekend.

After going through a bit of a sophomore slump in January, Scott Greenham has greatly stepped up his play after Coach Ferguson threatened to start freshman Steve Thompson. Last week in particular he stopped 74 of 75 shots en route to CCHA Goalie of the Week. Scottie will need to play lights out this weekend for UAF to have a good chance at bringing the cup back.

The Nanook camp has been almost unusually quiet this week save for a quote from assistant coach Lance West that read something along the lines of "we know what's at stake". I do know what happened in the Governor's Cup last year burned and embarrassed this team, and rightly so.

Seawolves: UAA has had a bit of a February fade (in contrast to last season when they came on strong to finish out). I admittedly don't follow UAA too closely; I think any of my fellow Anchorage residents agree that the mainstream media here (that's you, Woody and ADN) make it almost impossible to follow in-state collegiate athletics. But hey, I sure do think it's great when high school track is on the front page of the sports section.

One thing I'll be interested to see is who starts in net for the Seawolves. Olthius seems to have won the battle with Christianson, but if my memory is correct it was Bryce who shut out UAF last year.

Coach Shyiak has admittedly had some pretty significant success against UAF; in all honesty beating your rival can always atone for quite a few other L's along the way. But it seems like over the last few years he's motivated UAA to get up for this series much more so than our guys have.

Overall: This has all the makings of two potentially great games. UAA is going for the senior sweep, and UAF, well, doesn't want that to happen. 'Nooks seem to have hit their stride this month, and UAA is always a tough out.

For UAA to win, they need to play their game, and play it with nothing to lose. Simple as that.

For UAF to win, we need to play smart and stay out of the penalty box. Specifically, we need to play like we did the night we tied Miami 1-1. Miami, much like UAA, is a team that we match up horribly against (and the next night it showed). But we tied them by playing smart and not letting their mind games work. And on the Saturday game, use the emotion of senior night at what will be a loud and rowdy Carlson Center to our advantage.

Friday night: 2-2 tie

Saturday night: UAF, 4-2.

Mark it down.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                            and gazing up past the Ace’s championship banners to that vintage flat panel lcd screen, where the old dead guy still sings the national anthem.
                            I usually find your posts quite amusing, but that was pretty low and classless.

Doyle posted that Chris Crowell is done for the year after the hit into the boards in Mankato, and that Parkinson has not been practicing with the team. UAA has had a lot of injuries this year, are the Nanooks all healthy?
                            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I usually find your posts quite amusing, but that was pretty low and classless.
                              Give me a break. That wasn’t disrespectful at all. The man has passed. It will happen to all of us. It makes fun of the Sullivan operations, not the artist. Try another angle. Try a little humor of your own.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                                Give me a break. That wasn’t disrespectful at all. The man has passed. It will happen to all of us. It makes fun of the Sullivan operations, not the artist. Try another angle. Try a little humor of your own.
                                Sorry, it was disrespectful, and no amount of spin is going change that. Referring to Mike McDonald as an "old dead man" is really out of line. He was involved with a ton of charity causes in Anchorage, and was much loved by many people. What you wrote was just sad.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X