Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Alaska Airlines Governor's Cup: The 'Banks vs. The 'Rage

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Sounds like somebody used the Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn remote control fart machine on your behalf.
    Yep Skinny Dicks Halfway Inn is an elegant bar compared to _airbanks standards.

It sounds like a _airbanks Bar but doesn’t smell like a _airbanks Bar.

Want to put a little wager on the Basketball games of the Governors Cup week?
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
      Yep Skinny Dicks Halfway Inn is an elegant bar compared to _airbanks standards.

It sounds like a _airbanks Bar but doesn’t smell like a _airbanks Bar.

Want to put a little wager on the Basketball games of the Governors Cup week?
      Aren't the next games in Rage City? In that case, it's going to take an appearance by the Virgin Mary for the girls to have a chance and a reincarnation hybrid of Larry Bird and Michael Jordan for the men.

I ran into Skinny Dick at the bank once when I was in school; I felt like I was basking in the presence of a legend. He passed a few years ago now.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
        UAA is promoting this series. I like their poster, they have the F in Fairbanks covered with the "no" symbol.
        I just saw the poster, it's the A, not the F. Nice blimp, though.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

...four T-shirts that read "Beat The Nooks"
          I was thinking that from -0- to five bucks, they must be those cheapy-thin shirts like the Aces shoot out of that t-shirt sub-gun they have.. but wow - someone at UAA actually sprung for some really nice t-shirts!

Bring back Sparky!
          Yeah. I noticed while I was picking up my tix & freebie t-shirts today that the Governor's Cup game display was surrounded by another brand new Sparky the wolf sporting a UAA shirt.

Seems like everytime I go into the store, there's a new plush Sparky for sale.

You never see any replications of that oversized shoddy piece of green rubber that walks around calling itself a mascot! He looks like Gumby after he's overdosed on steroids then had his head run over by a zamboni at least 300 times.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaRox View Post
            I was thinking that from -0- to five bucks, they must be those cheapy-thin shirts like the Aces shoot out of that t-shirt sub-gun they have.. but wow - someone at UAA actually sprung for some really nice t-shirts!

Yeah. I noticed while I was picking up my tix & freebie t-shirts today that the Governor's Cup game display was surrounded by another brand new Sparky the wolf sporting a UAA shirt.

Seems like everytime I go into the store, there's a new plush Sparky for sale.

You never see any replications of that oversized shoddy piece of green rubber that walks around calling itself a mascot! He looks like Gumby after he's overdosed on steroids then had his head run over by a zamboni at least 300 times.
            Another mascot? What did this one look like? Have they seen the light and retired Gumby? Man, I hope so. NOBODY likes the current mascot. I have a plush of the original Sparky, it's great.

And for your viewing pleasure:

*****http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/254/bwgcusyzoswzpbz20071230dd3.jpg******
            Last edited by Suze; 02-11-2010, 10:29 AM.
            Originally Posted by aparch
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

What did this one look like?
              It's another new version of the cute, plush wolf. I'm wondering though.. They keep coming out with new versions of the wolf, but have they ever done a bobblehead of him? If not, how come?

Have they seen the light and retired Gumby?
              Nah. No pink slip for "flathead greenpants" yet. Everytime I see pictures of him with kids though, they look terrified ---> = =

I'm glad the Olympics start tomorrow.. this week off stuff is a bummer!

Comment

Aren't the next games in Rage City? In that case, it's going to take an appearance by the Virgin Mary for the girls to have a chance and a reincarnation hybrid of Larry Bird and Michael Jordan for the men.
                Forrest Karr has in all probability already called Mark Hamilton and ran with this suggestion, and chitchat on the street claims he also got the Pillsbury Doughboy to toss on a nook sweater and skate fat wing. Stuff happens when you go to the Santa Claus House and call in a marker.
                Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

The week that all UAA fans obsess over for the other 51 weeks of the year is finally here.

As for the 'Nooks, it's time to do the trophy sweep.

*****http://alaskananooks.com/images/2009/10/18/rp_primary_IMG_1318-UAF-Nanooks-take-Brice-Goal-Rush-Championship-WEB.jpg******

(I tried to find the picture of us winning the Kendall but apparently UAA has gone to great lengths to remove all photographic evidence).

Comment

The week that all UAA fans obsess over for the other 51 weeks of the year is finally here.

As for the 'Nooks, it's time to do the trophy sweep.

(I tried to find the picture of us winning the Kendall but apparently UAA has gone to great lengths to remove all photographic evidence).
                    Did _airbanks have pictures around of UAA winning the UA_ tourney last year? LOL

Time for UAA to put together their best Friday effort all season - and win the Gov Cup for the fourth straight year!
                    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Did _airbanks have pictures around of UAA winning the UA_ tourney last year? LOL

Time for UAA to put together their best Friday effort all season - and win the Gov Cup for the fourth straight year!
                      I'd love to have Anchorage put their best effort of the season on this Friday

Saturday...who cares, we'll take that one if you don't want it.

Comment

I'd love to have Anchorage put their best effort of the season on this Friday

Saturday...who cares, we'll take that one if you don't want it.
                        Saturdays seem to take care of themselves, Fridays not so much.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

It's not Shyiak they need to get rid of, he's been an outstanding coach. They need to get rid of Dr. Cobb.

Would most Seawolf fans (and Nanook fans for that matter) rather see two three game sets for the Governor's Cup or a tournament with teams like RPI and Mercyhurst? I can't imagine this is even a question. Dr. Cobb has ruined traditions (throwing fish on the ice and changing the mascot with NO STUDENT INPUT amongst others) and ruined the Governor's Cup.

Dr. Cobb was sipping mint juleps in Georgia in the 80's when I was doing everything I could to get into the jam packed Sullivan Arena to see the Seawolves play. It's time for a change in leadership. Lets send Dr. Cobb back to Dixie!

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=Da...8080153&ref=ts

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=Da...id=91665344149
                          Lets Go Seawolves!

Comment

No doubt the Governor’s Cup games are the most emotional, intense, and well attended games we play all year. To the casual Nanook hockey fan they are the only games that matter. To the seasoned Nook fan, they still matter the most, but there’s loftier goals out there.

For continued improvement of the program(s), the early season tournaments have been a huge benefit. The Seawolves have had an early season tournament for a while, had two or three games under their belt before the Governor’s Cup, and entered their conference play with some bugs worked out. The Nooks first game was typically the Governor’s Cup, then jumped right into conference play. We seem to have always struggled out of the gate. Getting a chance to play four tournament games before conference play even starts is one reason we have been able to improve on our conference standings the last couple of years. Keep the tournaments.

We probably don’t deserve to be 11th in the PairWise (or wherever we are), but considering what Doc did to our team and the players we lost or maybe lost out on because of him, this program has made remarkable improvements the last two years.

Good job Dallas.
                            Good job Nooks.
                            Seawolves still suck.

Comment

Originally posted by SAEMike View Post
                              It's not Shyiak they need to get rid of, he's been an outstanding coach. They need to get rid of Dr. Cobb.

Would most Seawolf fans (and Nanook fans for that matter) rather see two three game sets for the Governor's Cup or a tournament with teams like RPI and Mercyhurst? I can't imagine this is even a question. Dr. Cobb has ruined traditions (throwing fish on the ice and changing the mascot with NO STUDENT INPUT amongst others) and ruined the Governor's Cup.

Dr. Cobb was sipping mint juleps in Georgia in the 80's when I was doing everything I could to get into the jam packed Sullivan Arena to see the Seawolves play. It's time for a change in leadership. Lets send Dr. Cobb back to Dixie!

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=Da...8080153&ref=ts

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=Da...id=91665344149
                              I have heard these same sentiments from SO many people. The mascot is ridiculous, nobody likes it, it's nothing but an embarrassment. I know numerous folks who have complained, and their concerns fell on deaf ears.

Our tournament is a joke, the building is empty. Think of the revenue they are turning down by not having two home games against UA_. I agree there are no more traditions. The music sucks. The announcer is awful.

Hockey is the one sport capable of earning huge revenues for UAA - yet we hear NO advertising for hockey. The promotions only exist in emails to those who already have tickets or on the UAA website. Sheesh, even the Avalanche are on the radio all the time, have contests to win free tickets, and have signs all over the Valley. A junior program is showing UAA how it should be done. That is sad.

Whoever our athletic director is now, or will be in the future, we need more committment to the hockey program!! We need better facilities and an on campus arena.

The WCHA has unbelievable talent. There are 12 former WCHA players in the Olympics right now, who I watched play at the Sullivan Arena. But folks don't realize what we have here.

I do think that the coaching staff needs to get more involved locally, there is a real disconnect between them and the community, and too many bridges have been burned. Some mending needs to be done if they plan on getting the best talent to stay home and play for UAA. That starts by getting involved, and if there is a B level player from Anchorage and a B player from Canada, give the local player a shot. That is the ONE thing Hill did right, he had 10-12 Alaskans on his roster.

At least Cobb did hire Donald to get butts in the seats, and while that hasn't really worked this season, I think Derek is headed in the right direction, and he has a passion for the hockey program.

Man, why oh why did you have to get me started?

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Thinking about the salmon throwing tradition, I thought the decision to nix it came from John Hill and staff. I distinctly remember reading the article in the paper about discontinuing it, and there were several quotes by Jack Kowal saying how it killed momentum.

Prior to the fish throwing, the team was very fired up after scoring, but when they had to clean up the fish, and sometimes clean up the ice as well, it killed any momentum the team had received from scoring. The coaches publically backed the decision.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X