PDA

View Full Version : Fredonia vs. Westfield

Pages : [1] 2

MuckNBin
12-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Who do you think will win? I think morton might ring a hatty from the looks of westfield this season. Let's chat it up

norm1909
12-22-2009, 06:23 AM
Who do you think will win? I think morton might ring a hatty from the looks of westfield this season. Let's chat it up

A hatty in one game or over two? Fredonia has shown it can score over lesser opponents, but not so against strong opponents. Westfield, while playing in the MASCAC, nevertheless, is in second place and have outscored their opponents 37-30 in 9 games VS 63-44 in 13 games - 13 of which were against Lebanon Valley. I'm picking Fredonia to win, but by "the looks of Westfield this season", I won't be surprised to see them take one. This is a chance for the #2 MASCAC (.833 in Conference/.788 out) team to go up against the #3 SUNYAC (.625 in Conference/.692 out) - the target is on Fredonia.

MuckNBin
12-22-2009, 08:41 PM
A hatty in one game or over two? Fredonia has shown it can score over lesser opponents, but not so against strong opponents. Westfield, while playing in the MASCAC, nevertheless, is in second place and have outscored their opponents 37-30 in 9 games VS 63-44 in 13 games - 13 of which were against Lebanon Valley. I'm picking Fredonia to win, but by "the looks of Westfield this season", I won't be surprised to see them take one. This is a chance for the #2 MASCAC (.833 in Conference/.788 out) team to go up against the #3 SUNYAC (.625 in Conference/.692 out) - the target is on Fredonia.

Yea I meant through the weekend over two games. Nothing like a good MASCAC SUNYAC showdown. :D I heard from a friend some guys on Westfield are sick, but the holidays should give plenty of time to re-cover and get their game back.

PrezdeJohnson09
12-22-2009, 08:48 PM
This is one of those games that could be crucial for NCAA purposes for teams in the SUNYAC/MASCAC/ECAC West.

I'm pulling for Fredonia since Elmira and Oswego beat them but I could definitely see Westfield taking it. Westfield is one of those sleeper teams that is quietly having a very solid season this year.

joecct
12-23-2009, 03:20 PM
This is one of those games that could be crucial for NCAA purposes for teams in the SUNYAC/MASCAC/ECAC West.

I'm pulling for Fredonia since Elmira and Oswego beat them but I could definitely see Westfield taking it. Westfield is one of those sleeper teams that is quietly having a very solid season this year.And I'm pulling for Westfield.

Best of both worlds - split.

hawk
12-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Just my opinion but it looks like Fredonia has played a much tougher schedule than Westfield State. Looking at key games for Westfield they tied Salem and lost to a good Trinity team 5-2. Will be an interesting game to see how the MASCAC does with a SUNYAC team.

norm1909
12-23-2009, 08:14 PM
KRACH (http://www.uscho.com/rankings/?data=krach3m) is ranking Westfield State 15th (260.9/SOS: 100.4), Fredonia 18th (212.9/SOS: 100.8). :cool:

NUProf
12-23-2009, 09:25 PM
My rankings (http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=87239) have Westfield at 19 and Fredonia at 26

Michael
12-23-2009, 09:35 PM
In my breakdown doing the poster poll, I found Westfield slightly more impressive than Fredonia.

However, crunching some stats, I predict a split.

Westfield 4-3 Friday
Fredonia 5-3 Saturday.

Hockey NutCase
12-27-2009, 10:20 AM
While Fredonia sits back and waits to host these 2 games, Westfield must first travel to #19 Amherst for a game, then take the 9-10 hour bus journey to the shores of Lake Erie. On paper, the more experienced Fredonia is favored to win both games against the 2-year-old WSC team. A lake effect blizzard that weekend would be awesome.

CenteringPass
01-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Don't kid yourself that this will be a cakewalk for Fredonia.

Westfield just took Amherst to OT, a night after Amherst romped past Fitchburg, 8-0, (with the Jeffs missing 3 starting D due to illness).

The Owls also had a fairly competitive game with Trinity before break, so other than the long bus ride, I don't think there's any reason to sell Westfield short.

The MASCAC doesn't get much respect, but I think by the end of the year you'll see Salem, Westfield and another MASCAC squad (whether UMD, Plymouth) post a few good out of league wins.

norm1909
01-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Don't kid yourself that this will be a cakewalk for Fredonia.

Westfield just took Amherst to OT, a night after Amherst romped past Fitchburg, 8-0, (with the Jeffs missing 3 starting D due to illness).

The Owls also had a fairly competitive game with Trinity before break, so other than the long bus ride, I don't think there's any reason to sell Westfield short.

The MASCAC doesn't get much respect, but I think by the end of the year you'll see Salem, Westfield and another MASCAC squad (whether UMD, Plymouth) post a few good out of league wins.

IF Fredonia believes it will be a cakewalk, they will lose, Westfield, the MASCAC's #2 ranked team has tied #1 ranked Salem State and as noted Amherst needed OT to win. I've picked Fredonia by a significant margin, but admit that is my SUNYAC homer bias shining through, I will not be surprised to see Westfield take one this weekend.

DeFirst
01-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Enough of this lack of respect for Fredonia - they just beat Westfield 8-0!

nysportsfan29
01-09-2010, 05:23 PM

Unless they beat someone of consequence they will continue to get little respect and deservedly so.

Westfield State may be #2 in the MASCAC, but they're mediocre at best outside of the MASCAC (wins against Western NE College and Franklin Pierce, losses to Amherst, Trinity, and now 2 to Fredonia). So basically they're beating up on a sub-par conference whose only signature win is Salem State against SNC, which looks to have been merely an aberration at this point.

If Fredonia can actually beat Plattsburgh or Oswego than they will earn some respect. Until then, they'll be considered an average team, as they should be.

norm1909
01-09-2010, 05:31 PM

Fredonia has no class:p

DeFirst
01-09-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm new to this forum and to the SUNYAC, but it seems that this is an "old boys" forum - it's all about Plattsburgh and Oswego, with an occasional kind word for Potsdam. My lack of respect comment was in reference to this thread's skepticism of Fredonia beating Westfield.

I certainly accept that Fredonia needs to beat a top ranked school to be ranked, but they are often dismissed throughout this forum as further witnessed by the comment of "no class" just posted.

nysportsfan29
01-09-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm new to this forum and to the SUNYAC, but it seems that this is an "old boys" forum - it's all about Plattsburgh and Oswego, with an occasional kind word for Potsdam. My lack of respect comment was in reference to this thread's skepticism of Fredonia beating Westfield.

I certainly accept that Fredonia needs to beat a top ranked school to be ranked, but they are often dismissed throughout this forum as further witnessed by the comment of "no class" just posted.

Norm's comment was poking fun at how Fredonia may have run up the score today. He is one of the most level-headed posters and one of the best contributers on these boards.

I don't get the "old boys" forum comment. When was the last time a SUNYAC team other than Oswego and Plattsburgh were relevant on the national scene? Geneseo was good a couple of years ago but have faded into obscurity.

Bottom line is Oswego and Plattsburgh are the cream of the crop in the SUNYAC. They have two of the most storied programs in D-III and are the only SUNYAC schools with D-III Championships under their belts.

Do I think Fredoina is a pushover? Of course not. I wasn't sure how this weekend would turn out which is why I picked a split. But they really haven't proven themselves as viewed by most in this "old boys" forum.

DeFirst
01-09-2010, 06:06 PM
A fair enough reply - I re-track my "old boy" comment and accept I have a lot to learn about this forum.

norm1909
01-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Norm's comment was poking fun at how Fredonia may have run up the score today. ...

This is true, no "harm" intended, see also this (http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?p=4539171&postcount=89) and this (http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?p=4539407&postcount=93).

PSUChamps2001
01-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Bottom line is Oswego and Plattsburgh are the cream of the crop in the SUNYAC. They have two of the most storied programs in D-III and are the only SUNYAC schools with D-III Championships under their belts.

Actually during the mid 90's Fredonia was the cream of the crop in the SUNYAC...making it to two? NCAA Championship games...one was a 1-0 OT loss to Middlebury if I remember right.

but this is also the team that holds the biggest loss in Plattsburgh history (if I remember correctly) at 25-0 back in '87-'88 season.

it also doesn't help when Plattsburgh just lit up Fredonia, in Fredonia, 10-2...you don't just get respect, you have to earn it.