X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed NCAA rule changes for 2010-2011

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?key=/nc...es+070209+news

http://www.ecachockey.com/men/2009-1...RulesCommittee

I know plenty of people have been talking about the points of emphasis, especially facemasking. But I hadn't heard much about the possible rule changes.

I like a few of them, like keeping faceoffs in the zone after hittig a post, hybrid icing, and making teams clear their zone before a delayed penalty is enforced.

The las change though would be horrible. Not letting players slide or dive to block a shot? Are you kidding me? Who would propose that?

Anyway, what're your thoughts?
    Last edited by one_to7; 12-16-2009, 10:10 PM.

Re: Proposed NCAA rule changes for 2010-2011

Originally posted by one_to7 View Post
    http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?key=/ncaa/ncaa/ncaa+news/ncaa+news+online/2009/association-wide/hockey+rules+group+suggests+points+of+emphasis+fut ure+rules+070209+news

I know plenty of people have been talking about the points of emphasis, especially facemasking. But I hadn't heard much about the possible rule changes.

I like a few of them, like keeping faceoffs in the zone after hittig a post, hybrid icing, and making teams clear their zone before a delayed penalty is enforced.

The las change though would be horrible. Not letting players slide or dive to block a shot? Are you kidding me? Who would propose that?

Anyway, what're your thoughts?
    My thoughts are I'm lazy and I want a clickable link dammit!
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

So instead of just posting it yourself, you take thetime to complain about it, without commenting on anything related to the topic.

Thanks!

Comment

clickable link for lazy Prez

Comment

Current NCAA Mens and Womens Ice Hockey Rules Committee - here.
          Last edited by norm1909; 12-18-2009, 12:39 PM.
          Larry Normandin
          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

What about eliminating ties?? That's kind of a biggy and it looks like a pretty definite commitment to do so, subject to the caveat that a method for breaking ties has not been settled on and they are collecting options to consider . . .

Comment

•Icing the puck during shorthanded situations. The committee is considering implementing a rule change that would not allow shorthanded teams to ice the puck.
              •Delayed penalty administration. In this proposal, when a penalty is called on a team in its defensive zone, the offending team must clear the puck out of its defensive zone before play is stopped.
              •Leaving the feet to play the puck. This proposal deals with defensive players diving or sliding to block shots or passes. A minor penalty would be imposed for a violation.

I think these last three are AWFUL.

I hope they aren't serious with these. The first one I listed and the last one especially.

The second one I'm not as dead set against as the other two but still, I think they would be awful if they implemented these rules into play.
              GO LAKERS!!!
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

I wish they adopted a format where they made it mandatory to have experimental shootouts after any tie in D-III.

It's fun for the fans and players and would have no bearing on the game. Then come back in two or three years and see what everyone thinks is best for the game.
                GO LAKERS!!!
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  I wish they adopted a format where they made it mandatory to have experimental shootouts after any tie in D-III.

It's fun for the fans and players and would have no bearing on the game. Then come back in two or three years and see what everyone thinks is best for the game.
                  Just make sure they don't ask the CCHA for advise on how to run a shootout

On another note, I actually cannot say I agree with this:
                  Icing the puck during shorthanded situations. The committee is considering implementing a rule change that would not allow shorthanded teams to ice the puck.
                  Last edited by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh; 12-16-2009, 10:29 PM.
                  Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                  SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                  ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                  NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                  NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                  NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                  NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

All of these rules I think would be good, the game is faster and more skilled than ever before as a result penalties need to be more severe.

In the old days you were in the box for 2 min no matter how many goals the other team scored, I would like to see them go back to that as well. Hockey is a great game, but it has changed so much especially with goalies we need to see the rules catch up to the game.

I would also like to see Hybrid icing which is like touch icing just not as dangerous.

Any puck shot over the glass is a penalty. The game is supposed to be played on the ice not on the glass, which is a way for unskilled players to stay in the game.

We need to eliminate the hand pass in all zones it helps Defensive teams only, and they talk about scoring more goals, hand passes do not reward the kids with stick skills.

I love kids who dive to block shots, it hurts and it is en exciting part of the game, however if they go down and a player tries to go around them but gets tripped on the body of the player on the ice then that should be a penalty, they should not penalize a player who chooses to lay down in front of shot, but anyone who is on the ice and knocks another person down should be penalized.

Good luck to the NCAA I hope they can get this right.

Comment

* The hybrid icing rule would be a great addition and allow the fastest player to get the advantage. It may also decrease the amount of times a defenseman will try to slow down a player coming through the neutral zone and just get to the puck.

* Clearing the zone to stop play would be a disaster...please, NO!

* Players wear a little bit of equipment these days, and if they chose to go down to block a shot, so be it. Not a fan of this one.

* No icing during Penalty Kill...Now we're gonna double punish a team. If it ain't broke, leave it alone!

Could shape up to be interesting.

Comment

* Reducing or eliminating ties. The committee believes a change is in the best interests of the game and voted to implement changes at its June 2010 meeting to either reduce or eliminate tie games. The committee will collect and consider all written proposals from the membership.
                        This is not a bad idea - I would think ties would be reduced if they just extended OT to 10 minutes. The NHL scheme of going 4 x 4 for OT has merit as well. Maybe a 10 minute 4 x 4 OT would work.

Shootouts are okay, but I wouldn't want to see a tie breaking system where the winner gets two points and loser gets a point, unless you change it to the point where the team that wins a game in OT or regulation gets 3 points. Every game should contribute the same number of points to the standings.

* Puck shot directly out of play.When the puck is shot directly out of play from the defensive zone, the committee is considering conducting the faceoff in the non-offending team’s attacking zone without a change of players allowed. The committee does not currently believe a penalty is warranted for such action; at the moment, a team that does this would be allowed to change players.
                        This is a good idea. The intent of doing this is the same as icing the puck - the penalty should be the same as for icing.

* Shot that hits the post and goes out of play – faceoff location. Currently, because the attacking team last touched the puck, a shot that hits the post and goes out of play comes outside of the zone. The committee is considering keeping this faceoff in the attacking zone.
                        I'm not sure I've seen this happen very often. The change is reasonable

* Timeout during situations where players are not allowed to change. Currently, if a team calls a timeout during a situation where, by rule, it is not allowed to change its players, the rule remains in place. Some coaches have asked why they are not allowed to change players since only one timeout is allowed per game. The NCAA rule is currently consistent with NHL rules.
                        I guess I don't really care whatever

* Icing the puck during shorthanded situations. The committee is considering implementing a rule change that would not allow shorthanded teams to ice the puck.
                        Yuck - they experimented with this rule in tournaments a few years ago and used it in the Times-Argus. I hated this. I thought it totally changed the strategy for the PK and PP. I don't think we need to change the entire flow of the game this way.

* Delayed penalty administration. In this proposal, when a penalty is called on a team in its defensive zone, the offending team must clear the puck out of its defensive zone before play is stopped.
                        Probably the same thing could be accomplished if the refs would actually require that the defense control the puck (I know that's the rule), but so often I've seen the whistle blown when the puck just deflects off a defensive stick. They could do a tournament test of the proposed rule, but I'm not in favor of it.

* Leaving the feet to play the puck. This proposal deals with defensive players diving or sliding to block shots or passes. A minor penalty would be imposed for a violation.
                        Stupid idea. What's next - going back to the 60s era rule that didn't allow body checking in the offensive zone? I don't know what this rule would be trying to do.
                        Last edited by NUProf; 12-17-2009, 06:11 AM.
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

•Icing the puck during shorthanded situations. The committee is considering implementing a rule change that would not allow shorthanded teams to ice the puck.
                          •Delayed penalty administration. In this proposal, when a penalty is called on a team in its defensive zone, the offending team must clear the puck out of its defensive zone before play is stopped.
                          •Leaving the feet to play the puck. This proposal deals with defensive players diving or sliding to block shots or passes. A minor penalty would be imposed for a violation.

I think these last three are AWFUL.

I hope they aren't serious with these. The first one I listed and the last one especially.

The second one I'm not as dead set against as the other two but still, I think they would be awful if they implemented these rules into play.
                          Was going to post my own response but this one pretty much says the same things I wanted to say. These proposals are hinting at adopting the NHL's philosophy: try to increase scoring at almost any expense.

I'm all for seeing skilled offensive plays/players. The rules to eliminate the clutching and grabbing make sense. But to punish someone for sliding to block a shot? Seriously? Ridiculous.

Icing during shorthanded situations? Why not just give out penalty shots until someone scores? We get the point, NCAA, you're just trying to increase offense at the expense of every other aspect of the game (defense, flow, etc).

I'm calling it first: They will eventually be a discussion where only X number of players are allowed in the defensive zone (say 4, for instance). Sounds stupid, but I never thought I'd hear a proposal for dropping to the ice to block a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by AGPennypacker View Post

I'm calling it first: They will eventually be a discussion where only X number of players are allowed in the defensive zone (say 4, for instance). Sounds stupid, but I never thought I'd hear a proposal for dropping to the ice to block a shot.
                            Sounds like Lacrosse
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Sounds like Lacrosse
                              How about basketball? How about only 2 players can defend the puck at one time (not that you see more than 2 doing it very often in today's game)?

(I don't know much about basketball but I think there is a rule for the # of players allowed to defend the player with the ball. Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Either way, it's just plain silly!

Comment

Working...
                              X