Most Reliable Poll/rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Reliable Poll/rankings

Just curious as to which poll/rankings you fellow USCHO users put the most stake in. I know that we are on USCHO but please don't let that affect how you vote.
    USCHO.com Division 1 Men's Poll
    15.00%
    USA/USA Hockey Magazine Men's College Hockey Poll
    1.25%
    INCH Power Rankings
    3.75%
    PairWise
    56.25%
    KRACH
    23.75%

The poll is expired.

Re: Most Reliable Poll/rankings

Where's the pole?
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
      Where's the pole?
      Sorry man. Here ya go.

Comment

Something I'd love to do sometime: compile the statistics on how accurate each of these are.

For example - if a ranked team in the USCHO poll plays an unranked team, how often does the upset occur? If a team with a 150 KRACH plays a number of teams with KRACH's of 50, does the higher-ranked team win about 75% of the time like it (theoretically) should?

I'm not sure if there's archived info out there (especially for the non-USCHO polls) to keep track of how often they're actually correct. It'd be interesting to see though.
        RPI '08, UW '09. Let's go RED!

Comment

Originally posted by GoDanGo View Post
          Something I'd love to do sometime: compile the statistics on how accurate each of these are.

For example - if a ranked team in the USCHO poll plays an unranked team, how often does the upset occur? If a team with a 150 KRACH plays a number of teams with KRACH's of 50, does the higher-ranked team win about 75% of the time like it (theoretically) should?

I'm not sure if there's archived info out there (especially for the non-USCHO polls) to keep track of how often they're actually correct. It'd be interesting to see though.
          This looks like a job for RFAlph.
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

The only pole that matters is the stripper pole. Oh, not that pole?

Honestly, being ranked is nice, as it shows your efforts are being recognized, but to be honest, I only really start putting stock in polls of any sort beginning around the end of Jan, and even then its mainly the PWR and the USCHO rankings to a smaller effect.

Comment

PWR for me. It's the only one that means anything. The PairWise detemines whether you get into the tournament. The others are just what other people think about your team, KRACH exempted. I'd rather be 9th in the PWR and 17th on USCHO than the other way around.
              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

KRACH is better than PWR, IMO, but PWR is the only one of these choices that actually means anything.
                Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

To me the only one that even tries to look forward are the INCH power rankings. Compiled by a small, identified group with the goal of projecting future success. The two 'Polls' solicit opinions from an anonymous group who could care if they toss in a red herring or 2 and both the KARCH and PWR look at past performance which has been proven to be a poor indicator of future events given the minuscule sample size that we are forced to deal with.
                  More Cowbell!

Comment

where is the "whatever i think" option?

Comment

I think Polls are way overated. Any team can beat any team at any time, with some luck of course

Comment

The Rutter Rankings, IMO, are the best rankings.

He has only done Women's Hockey however, he could be probably be presuaded.

http://math.bd.psu.edu/faculty/rutte...sRankings.html
                        Last edited by MICZamboni; 01-02-2010, 04:22 PM.
                        "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

This is a highly **** pole.

Comment

My Uncle Piotr at a cousin's wedding. Most steak I've ever seen got put into that Pole!
                            Bugs Bunny - 96
                            Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Working...
                            X